Oasis incident at Freeport Shipyard

53 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

It was 3 Euros last month.

Inflation. I think it was 2 when I was last there, 

I enjoyed the walk along the marina. With the Cathedral in front of you its a nice setting

Just returned from Barcelona last night. The May 5th sailing was great, ship was very clean and the crew were happy to be back to normal with paying guests. Had a good look around the damage zone. 99.9% of the passengers would never notice a thing unless they were following this thread. The wood deck around the AT pool has been replaced as has the wood decks either side of the AT. Some new sections of handrail, new glass and supports etc. There are a few seats missing in the AT that were likely damaged beyond repair so a row or two of seats were removed on the port side and reinstalled in other areas. As I said, unless you knew there was an incident and knew where to look, you likely would never notice. As far as propulsion, the ship is operating as normal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, above sea level cruiser said:

Just returned from Barcelona last night. The May 5th sailing was great, ship was very clean and the crew were happy to be back to normal with paying guests. Had a good look around the damage zone. 99.9% of the passengers would never notice a thing unless they were following this thread. The wood deck around the AT pool has been replaced as has the wood decks either side of the AT. Some new sections of handrail, new glass and supports etc. There are a few seats missing in the AT that were likely damaged beyond repair so a row or two of seats were removed on the port side and reinstalled in other areas. As I said, unless you knew there was an incident and knew where to look, you likely would never notice. As far as propulsion, the ship is operating as normal. 

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.  Was there any discussion about the state of the LCD screens in the AT?  Thanks for the update.

3 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.  Was there any discussion about the state of the LCD screens in the AT?  Thanks for the update.

As someone else has said and posted pictures, the port side screen was unaffected and operates as normal. The starboard one has been replaced with a steel frame and has white powder-coated sheet metal riveted to it. It has no LCD panels attached to it. I guess it was being used as a projector screen as shown in some pictures.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, above sea level cruiser said:

As someone else has said and posted pictures, the port side screen was unaffected and operates as normal. The starboard one has been replaced with a steel frame and has white powder-coated sheet metal riveted to it. It has no LCD panels attached to it. I guess it was being used as a projector screen as shown in some pictures.

I was hoping to hear from someone that might have actually seen the shows in the AT

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I was hoping to hear from someone that might have actually seen the shows in the AT

My son and DIL saw the AT show on the last night and said it was a real dialed down version of the normal show. May have been because of the fact that it was raining. The LED screen on the port side said "Royal Caribbean presents Splash" The SB one was blank, meaning no projector. There were no high dives and ten minutes of the show was comprised of the divers dancing on the stage.

It wasn't just raining. There was a good wind blowing. There were many people wobbling on the 5th deck at guest services after dinner. This was my first cruise and Saturday was the only time I noticed movement on the ship.

1 hour ago, above sea level cruiser said:

My son and DIL saw the AT show on the last night and said it was a real dialed down version of the normal show. May have been because of the fact that it was raining. The LED screen on the port side said "Royal Caribbean presents Splash" The SB one was blank, meaning no projector. There were no high dives and ten minutes of the show was comprised of the divers dancing on the stage.

Thanks for the info

28 minutes ago, No Bananas said:

It wasn't just raining. There was a good wind blowing. There were many people wobbling on the 5th deck at guest services after dinner. This was my first cruise and Saturday was the only time I noticed movement on the ship.

For some reason, a lot of people seem to wobble on a cruise after dinner. lol. Did you enjoy your first cruise?

Yes. It was way out of our comfort zone. This site was invaluable. We had a great time. We were worried about how big the ship was.There were very few times that you were aware that over 5k people were aboard. We will definitely plan another cruise.

• Like 1

The following was posted on social media by someone at GBSY. This information is unverified.

[The dock] is beyond repairable it cannot even float anymore because it buckled along the north side wingwall where the crane fell from and it also buckled at the center line. Another second hand one is going to be ordered but who knows when it will arrive and how long it'll take before we have it fully functional. But we expect to bounce back from this and be safer and get a bigger dock built that can accommodate ships such as Oasis and Harmony safely.

Thats not great for the yard or the cruise industry. Needing to take a ship on a 20 days round trip to Europe to get work done is less than ideal is it. 

Fingers crossed they sort a permanent solution soon. 

Was on the May 12th sailing and while we didn’t have the second screen for the first few days we noticed yesterday that it was put in! Not sure what port they installed it in since we didn’t go down to the AquaTheater all that often but at some point during our sailing they installed the second screen 

FC9513D7-A66E-47B6-A1A4-0B5BB1CD0401.jpeg

B65EF2AA-A415-455D-8E12-432FBE220E75.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

Was on the May 12th sailing and while we didn’t have the second screen for the first few days we noticed yesterday that it was put in! Not sure what port they installed it in since we didn’t go down to the AquaTheater all that often but at some point during our sailing they installed the second screen 

FC9513D7-A66E-47B6-A1A4-0B5BB1CD0401.jpeg

B65EF2AA-A415-455D-8E12-432FBE220E75.jpeg

It’s another temporary repair but another improvement.  It looks like they have mounted some larger led screens in front of the large white panels that cover the area of the old screens.  Looks good until the next dry dock