Oasis Class Ships

I've been told to reserve a room in the center of the ship to avoid seasickness; however, I have also been told that on the "monster" ships that you won't even notice that you are on the ocean that they are so smooth. I will be in room 8100, which is at the front of the ship. Curious to know if anyone has stayed in the front rooms and if you experienced any seasickness?

I will be taking medicine with me as a precaution. I've never been on a large boat so I'm not sure if I will become seasick. I have been on speedboats, fishing boats, canoes, etc. never experienced any sickness. :) 

Last summer, we were in rooms 8531 and 8530 on Harmony (forward deck eight) with two kids (14 and 10 at the time).  All four of us did not feel any motion and slept great!  As Oasis class ships are wider, they are more stable and it is harder to feel motion.  

image.png.0f2f78b8adc894f8667d61be253603f4.png

Edited by Allura_317
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, LoveTheSoul said:

I've been told to reserve a room in the center of the ship to avoid seasickness; however, I have also been told that on the "monster" ships that you won't even notice that you are on the ocean that they are so smooth. I will be in room 8100, which is at the front of the ship. Curious to know if anyone has stayed in the front rooms and if you experienced any seasickness?

I will be taking medicine with me as a precaution. I've never been on a large boat so I'm not sure if I will become seasick. I have been on speedboats, fishing boats, canoes, etc. never experienced any sickness. 🙂

Both of these statement are generalities that are largely true.  In 2 of my three previous Oasis class cruises, I never felt the ship move. in fact, I was sleeping pool side on Allure's pool deck in 2011 and thought, we should have departed Nassau by now. I got up and walked to the side and saw, we had left Nassau, I never felt it.   In 2013 on Allure the seas between Nassau and St Martin were 15-20 ft. i had the last Ocean View balcony at the back of the ship. I barely felt anything, i would call it relaxing.    Its rare to hear reports of large numbers of people getting sea sick on these ships, but it could happen to some people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoveTheSoul said:

I will be taking medicine with me as a precaution. I've never been on a large boat so I'm not sure if I will become seasick. I have been on speedboats, fishing boats, canoes, etc. never experienced any sickness. 🙂

I've sailed Oasis twice and Allure once and have always stayed in the forward section of the ship. You'll will feel some motion of the ocean, especially when you first leave port & are in the Atlantic. Depending on weather conditions, it might just be a slight gentle rocking or maybe a bit more if the seas are rough. I'm not prone to motion sickness so it never bother me.  Once you are in the Caribbean, you should be fine.

Interesting enough, one of my family members who occasionally goes on fishing boats of the New Jersey coast and has never gotten sea sick despite some choppy waters, got a bit of motion sickness.  Feeling the gentle rocking but not being able to see the water got to her. She was a bit hung over too which may have had something to do with it. 😉

BTW, I prefer cabin in the forward part of the ship......elevators are far less crowded than aft.

• Like 1

I have not sailed this class of ship. However, my friend did in December and she went believing that she would feel no motion as that is what is often reported. She felt LOTS of motion and especially in the dining room aft. I mean, it is a floating object on a BIG pool of water, It's going to move. My guess it depends on the motion of the seas. We sailed Grandeur which is a tiny ship and down around the Bahamas felt no motion since the sea was like glass. My belief is that it all depends on the winds, the water, and your personal make up. Happy sailings!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LoveTheSoul said:

We have done 3 transatlantic crossings on Oasis Class, all deck 12  balcony forward.  We may have felt some movement but never coming close to needing sea sickness meds.  Even though your cabin is forward it is also in the center of the ship. Good chance you will never fell anything. happy cruising.

• Like 1

All ships have movement and will rock badly if the seas are bad enough.  Obviously the bigger the ship the harder to rock but it can definitely rock.  In Feb we had several shows cancelled for safety reasons due to rocking on the Oasis.

I am not prone to motion sickness but we had a room at the most forward on deck 8 of the grandeur.  The seas were pretty rough,  and for the first time in a long time I got motion sick.  Once i left the room and got to decks 4-6 midship the rocking was notably less and I was fine but the moment I was on deck 8 and the last room forward, which is room 8000, I was miserably.  It felt like an absolute roller coaster up there compared to the deck 6 midship.  I could feel my stomach churn like on a roller coaster at times,  plus it is incredibly LOUD when those waves bash the ship up front.  I honestly thought a bomb went off several times at night due to how loud those waves can batter the bow.  The Grandeur is much smaller than an Oasis,  but I never thought it made that big of a difference until we hit rough seas (70 mph) winds last week on the Grandeur.