Disembark Melbourne - safe time for flight out of MEL?

BoopTennis

our cruise next Feb will return to Melbourne and supposedly dock at 6 am (on a Wednesday).

What is the earliest I should safely plan a domestic flight out of MEL? (just going to Cairns)

Not sure how long customs and transportation to airport will take.

thanks!

There are two airports in Melbourne, Avalon and Tullamarine.

You would probably be leaving from Tullamarine.

You may want to work out what time you want to arrive in Cairns. Melbourne to Cairns direct is a 3.5 hour flight. Also allow for daylight saving. Melbourne will be one hour ahead of Cairns.

If it was me I would be aiming for a lunchtime (1pm-2pm) flight. They want you there at least an hour before the flight time, particularly if you have baggage to drop off. So you need to be able to get there between noon and 1pm at the latest.

That would get you to Cairns between 2:30pm and 3:30pm.

There are buses from Melbourne CBD to Tullamarine, but you will be at the port, so the easiest option is just to grab a taxi. Transit time will depend on traffic. You will not be able to avoid peak hour traffic at that time of day.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Hi, thanks.  Our timing will be dependent on how early we can be to the airport after getting off the cruise in Melbourne that morning. We want to take the earliest flight out without being stressed about missing our flight. We are going from MEL to CNS.

It appears the only DIRECT flights from MEL-CNS are in the morning, too early for us to make.

There are options that leave at 11 a, 11:30 am and noon, all with a connection before arriving in Cairns late afternoon (or later). I wonder how much connection time you need to allow (Sydney or Brisbane).

Why not stay in Melbourne overnight if you prefer a morning direct flight? We usually select a flight after midday if returning to Melbourne after disembarking from a cruise in Sydney or Brisbane. You never know if your ship will arrive late into port or clearance of ship is delayed for some reason. I will say that disembarking in Melbourne is usually very fast and efficient. The issue will be to find a taxi as once you walk off the pier it can be quite chaotic with passengers being picked up. I would suggest taking a ship's shuttle to the airport (if provided) as that is likely to be the most efficient way of getting there. 

It would probably take 30-45 minutes travel time to the airport from Station Pier.

Enjoy your time down under.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

I just checked, there are two direct flights scheduled to Cairns on Wednesdays next February on Jetstar (3.35pm) and Tiger (3.40pm) during the afternoon. I would fly Jetstar but probably not Tiger. 

Leigh

thank you for everyone’s ideas and recommendations, I appreciate it. We thought about waiting until the next morning to fly but we have a limited amount of time for the cairns-daintree area so wanted to get up there as soon as possible. Do you guys think an 11 am or noon flight is pushing it when getting off the cruise ship that morning?

Also, some other people had warned me off of flying any airlines other than qantas or Virgin Australia 

also, are we crazy to consider Daintree Rainforest in February. I know its the wet season. We don’t mind hot and humid, just wondering about downpours that prevent being able to do anything. Would love to spend 1-2 nights right in the rainforest 

Jetstar are usually fine to fly with. Noon flight would normally would be ok but I wouldn't risk a 11am one. Just ensure you are off the ship early. I assume you are on the Golden Princess?

Leigh

• 4 years later...

Just reviving an old thread. We are disembarking Cunard QE in Melbourne and Qantas have cancelled the 12.25 flight☹️

Previous Cunard cruise last time we disembarked at 8.00 and were at the airport by 9. Qantas have offered 10.35 ( which we have previously caught) or 2.35.

normally I’m a person that leaves plenty of buffer time but I’m tempted to take the 10.35, self disembark and online checkin.

it’s a Sunday so I’m thinking less traffic.

how early after docking can you self disembark?

2 hours ago, WoorimBeachLady said:

Just reviving an old thread. We are disembarking Cunard QE in Melbourne and Qantas have cancelled the 12.25 flight☹️

Previous Cunard cruise last time we disembarked at 8.00 and were at the airport by 9. Qantas have offered 10.35 ( which we have previously caught) or 2.35.

normally I’m a person that leaves plenty of buffer time but I’m tempted to take the 10.35, self disembark and online checkin.

it’s a Sunday so I’m thinking less traffic.

how early after docking can you self disembark?

No way would I be booking the 10.35 flight. So what if you are waiting a couple of hours, better than losing sleep the previous night.

Yes, less traffic but with Melbourne's "Big Build" anything can cause delays to the airport

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1