Temsco Helicopters in Skagway

sanrionjb

Thinking of booking the Glacier Discovery Helicopter tour in Skagway through Temsco independently from the ship. I've read lots of reviews on the actual tour so I'm good on that part but I wanted to know more about the logistics of getting to and from their center if you book independently and not through the ship. The company told me they are a mile walk from the port (Bliss will be at the Railroad Dock Forward that day) or you could take the Smart bus. Was wondering what mode of transport others have used to get there that did this independently. Also, the company said to allow 2 hours for the whole experience- does this seem about right or did the whole process take longer? 

Assume there will be a modest amount of hurry-up-and-wait. All of the helicopter companies are laser-focused on maximizing the use of their multi-million-dollar assets, so they'd much rather you wait a few minutes than the helicopter wait a few minutes. Otherwise, it's a well-choreographed ballet that holds to a mostly strict schedule: the tour time should tell you how long you're in the air and how long you're on not-exactly-terra-firma, etc.

Just about anywhere is easily walkable here in Skagway except for this one.....

from where you dock to where the heliport is, is NOT a straight or well marked stroll.......

Just walk up the dock, look for a SMART bus, near the end of the pier, ask the driver about the trip to the heliport and they will see that you get there in a timely manner. Allow a half hour or so for this transfer.

The bus is usually two bucks but you may want to pay the all day fiver just for the convenience of the return ride and even some other places which you may find you wish to do that day?

If you see me in a small red and white convertible, that day, flag me down for any further help here in our town.

We who actually live here are very glad to share info, hospitality, etc. with our visitors.

DD