The future of Edge-class?

Fairsky84

I’m wondering what others think about the future of the Edge-class. Clearly, Celebrity took a lot of risks with this new class of ships, and not all of thier innovations have been well received. The goal was to appeal to new (younger) cruisers and that means possibly alienating existing (older) customers. I’m worried they may have only succeeded at driving away their loyal customers without really attracting the younger ones.

Some Edge innovations will be easy to fix. Like the focus on cell phones and some furnishing choices. Others will not. Like the infinite verandas. Will Celebrity make changes on the upcoming Edge class ships still under construction (Apex, Opus, and Luxe)? Is a fundamental rethink of the cabin design with a return to traditional balconies even possible? And does anyone else think the Flying Carpet is unlikely to be a feature on all future Edge class ships? 

Edge may represent the first time a new class from RCI/Celebrity has missed the mark. Going all the way back to Song of Norway and Sovereign of the Seas, company has been known for real design innovations that change the industry. I’ll always appreciate their vision and risk-taking. But Edge feels like a swing and miss to me.

Not sure I can agree.  Some who have sailed on Edge, not all, were unhappy. Unfortunately the biggest criticisms seem to come from those who have not yet sailed on this ship. I totally respect the views of Edge cruisers, it is the naysayers who have not and never will step onboard that drive me nuts.

Sunday we return on Edge for the 3rd time, trust me I will give an honest assessment.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 11

I think 4 months into the ships careers is a little early to flatly call it a miss. A large number of the people who have booked and sailed so far are people who booked well in advance. These are also the people who have been on an absurd amount of cruises and are the most vocal customers, as seen by some of the feedback here.

By the time the ship got decent press and attention, and an opportunity to catch some new passengers, prices were extremely high (and still are). Give it some time and a chance to grow. Things like the 'focus on cell phones' are entirely optional. Hardly a deal breaker and I wouldn't expect them to pull back on technology when other cruise lines are flourishing with innovations. 

• Like 5

We have not cruised Edge yet...

We were put off booking by the lack of information on the ship first of all....We book suites and were reluctant to book a room we had very little information about.

By the time more graphics came out prices were really high for suites so we didn’t book.

Then came the first real reviews and pictures and, for us, we prefer the RS on S class to the one on Edge (layout, balcony size, furnishings). 

We do enjoy variety, we look forward to cruising Edge or a sister ship in the future. New dining options, the retreat deck and the variety of entertainment all have appeal. We have read with interest all the reviews.

We do feel Celebrity has made a couple of errors. The first is putting a ‘look’ above comfort and practicality in the rooms. This could easily be remedied for Edge and future ships....Many reviews note that simply adding  a coffee table or decent sized balcony table and swapping oversized uncomfortable chairs for comfortable ones would make a difference.

Then it has made some room compromises which may mean some of us need to upgrade our usual room categories to get what we want. By this I mean things like a real balcony compared to an IV or a balcony of acceptable size....For us this will probably mean booking above a RS on Edge class which will then make Edge class always more expensive than S class.

Edge will, I am sure,  be successful. Lots of guests are enjoying....Once the price of a decent suite falls we will consider. To us at present we do not feel that a 10 night cruise in a RS at £20,000 or EV at £30,000 is worth it. We can buy lots of better value holiday enjoyment for that...

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 2

CC reviews have improved from 38% to 48%, 4 and 5 star reviews.  I'm sure it is actually closer to 60%+ if you looked at only the most recent reviews, which are pushing the ratings up.  I would expect those that are waiting for price drops, to be even more enthusiastic, and for those that are skeptical, not so much.

There's clearly not enough demand at these prices, as they're having trouble filling up one ship.  At the same time, I believe enough people are happy with the product itself, where 2 or 3 ships may work.

The real mistake IMO, is converting the entire fleet, alienating customers, without affectively drawing in new ones.  They would have done better diversifying like hotel chains, call it "Edge Cruise Line by Celebrity", in the same way that Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites are different parts of the Hilton Brand.

• Like 3

We did okay on Edge..liked our AQ class IV cabin . We have our next EDGE cruise in a Sunset Veranda...also booked SV  for APEX( hate that name) next year.

The ship was different and very modern but we adjusted fairly well...We were only on for 7 days..Lots more to explore  next time. Will do the 4 mdr plan.

We did find the upper outside decks very windy and  too sunny...both can be moderated to a degree with screening and wind blockers. Acoustics in the main Plaza are bad...also in BLU during prime time..This can also be worked on.

And they can add a  nice lounge or piano bar someplace..

The Spa and Thermal suites were excellent  and we enjoyed some time in the Solarium. EDEN by day was awesome with a nice cafe..Sun shades needed for EDEN !

We  had AQ and are E plus, and thought boarding was  a chaotic & disorganized event in an ugly  warehouse- like building. But it was just for boarding and could be made more welcoming to non suite guests with decor and more staff.

Furniture can always be changed. Programs can be changed and improved and are evolving each week..We had a great CD..and staff. ..Work in progress!

I would not write off  these ships .We are trying Summit  based on a new itinerary, but after seeing the  partial upgrades, we chose APEX as the way to go after that...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

The real mistake IMO, is converting the entire fleet, alienating customers, without affectively drawing in new ones.  

Agree. I can understand the 70yr old passenger whose cruise 40+ times not being a fan of Edge. That’s acceptable IF the ship is effectively drawing 35yr olds to cruising for the first time. Is there any evidence it’s working? 

While Edge-class might ultimately be ok for Celebrity once they work out the bugs and make some adjustments, can anyone think of another new class debut from RCI/Celebrity that has been met by so much criticism? Sure, every ship has its oddities but Quantum-class, Oasis-class, S-class... all were nearly universally praised for their design, innovation, cabin comfort, and layout. I don’t recall any M-class fans criticizing S-class when it launched. It was widely embraced as a step forward. Edge is the first new class I’ve seen that has received this degree of pushback, even if it’s not “most” passengers complaining the % is enough for Celebrity to take notice. 

• Like 3

When the prices come down comparable to other Celebrity ships, I will certainly give Edge class a try.  That said, after 50 Celebrity cruises there are certain things I have come to really enjoy on my sailings, and some are compromised based on reviews I've read.  Go ahead and flame me if you want to - no, I have not sailed Edge yet and I am sure there are some things I will like about it and it will be fun to try something new.   But there are some known facts I do not need to have sailed her to be aware of and have an opinion on.  If you think that makes me a negative Nelly so be it.  But facts are facts, unless pictures are lying.

DH and I tend to be cabin rats - love to spend lots of time sitting out on our balcony enjoying the ocean and reading/relaxing.  From what I have read and seen about the furniture (modern design, seat not adjustable, no footstools, smaller table), I am not sure that will be as enjoyable going forward.  Common sense.  I also think the infinite balconies, while innovative, were not really developed with a real passenger's comfort in mind.  Form over function from what I have read.  Windows sometimes being controlled by management, no curtain to keep the sun out if someone still sleeping, room getting warmer when the window is open, room space smaller to allow a bigger bathroom (a plus) and a bigger bed (not needed).  Facts.  We occasionally sail three to a cabin with our adult son.  I don't need (or want) a bigger bed and smaller floor space. And the last thing I need in those cases is a smaller closet - we barely fit our clothes in before when there were three of us.   Call me a dinosaur, but the library was one of my favorite places on the ship.  Gone.   I love the look and atmosphere of the classic ocean liners - warm, welcoming.  The current ships embody that, with a modern edge.  I have never, nor will I ever, prefer what I consider 'cold' modern design.  That would of course not spoil my cruise, but it is not my preference.

I have sailed 6 Celebrity cruises in the past four months.  I have spoken to numerous fellow cruisers who have sailed on Edge to ask how they enjoyed it, hoping to hear good things versus reviews I have read.  To a person they were not very happy with the ship.  Many stated they would never sail her again.  I did not meet one, not one, who really liked the ship (although some were more neutral about it than others who really disliked it).

Did Celebrity miss the boat on these ships?  Of course it is too soon to know for sure.  But I really don't think just putting a new and more modern design out there is going to bring in the rich Millennials they are aiming for.  How many Millennials do you know that have never cruised, have heard about this ship, and are jumping at the chance to sail her?  I'm sure there are some - I personally do not know of any (and with a son of 32 temporarily living at home I have a chance to interact with many of them).  What I think Celebrity has done is turn off many of its loyal customers.  Our opinions get disregarded regularly, and yet we are the ones filling the other ships.  Those of us 40ish to 70 likely have at least 20 more years of cruising to come (God willing) and some more than that.  Many of us are, like myself, very, very loyal to Celebrity.  Did Celebrity make changes that appeal to us?  For the most part, it seems not.  If that proves to be the case, it seems to me that is one big, big mistake.  Time will tell.

• Like 10

CC reviews have improved from 38% to 48%, 4 and 5 star reviews.  I'm sure it is actually closer to 60%+ if you looked at only the most recent reviews, which are pushing the ratings up.  I would expect those that are waiting for price drops, to be even more enthusiastic, and for those that are skeptical, not so much.

There's clearly not enough demand at these prices, as they're having trouble filling up one ship.  At the same time, I believe enough people are happy with the product itself, where 2 or 3 ships may work.

The real mistake IMO, is converting the entire fleet, alienating customers, without affectively drawing in new ones.  They would have done better diversifying like hotel chains, call it "Edge Cruise Line by Celebrity", in the same way that Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites are different parts of the Hilton Brand.

I agree with what you said about converting the entire fleet.  Opening reviews are mixed at best.  A smarter marketing move would have been to see how the new ships are received and then decide how to transform the current fleet.  So many people I have met who sailed Edge do NOT like her at all - wonder what will happen, then, when the whole fleet looks more like her?  Will the loyalists (the bread and butter of the organization!) jump ship, or will they put up with the changes as they still prefer Celebrity?  time will tell

I think it’s far too soon to judge Edge herself, and the other ships in the class haven’t even been launched. As others have said, many of her most vociferous detractors haven’t even sailed on her. I also think it’s ludicrous to pigeonhole people by age, regardless of what Celebrity marketing people do. Some of the most spirited, adventurous people I’ve known have been decades older than I. I’ve also known people who were completely closed to new experiences by age 25. I certainly don’t “fit” into an artificial marketing group based on my age. It’s akin to saying all people born under the sign of Leo are exactly the same. Based on reviews by those who’ve sailed on Edge (and I’ve read every single one) some younger people love Edge, and some don’t. Some older people love Edge, and some don’t. Many love her, but don’t like some of the furniture, or the prices, or a particular cabin class. 

Many of us became fascinated with Edge during the build (hence the term, Edgies) and booked her the first day the schedule opened. Based on my observations, the first ship in a new class always has inflated prices. Those of us who booked that first day typically got the lowest of those inflated prices. We also booked our cabins based on marketing descriptions and CAD drawings/videos, some of which did not accurately reflect the finished product. We took a risk, as early adopters always do. 

The IV cabins (one of which I myself booked) are a case in point. DH and I have been very disheartened to read the many reviews (written by people who have actually sailed in them) highlighting the issues with the IV “veranda” size, doors, climate control etcetera. We do use our veranda, and we do like to retreat to our cabin to relax for a bit after a busy day ashore, so we have some reservations about the veranda itself. We also dislike the lack of a useful table in the IV cabin. However, the cabin itself looks spacious and lovely, so we’ll not rush to final judgment until we’ve actually sailed in it. The rest of the ship looks gorgeous, especially the art and architecture, and we can’t wait to board her later this month. We’ll have fifteen days, including several sea days, to fully explore and experience Edge, and I’ll post a review and photos while aboard, or after we return home.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

I’m wondering what others think about the future of the Edge-class. Clearly, Celebrity took a lot of risks with this new class of ships, and not all of thier innovations have been well received. The goal was to appeal to new (younger) cruisers and that means possibly alienating existing (older) customers. I’m worried they may have only succeeded at driving away their loyal customers without really attracting the younger ones.

Some Edge innovations will be easy to fix. Like the focus on cell phones and some furnishing choices. Others will not. Like the infinite verandas. Will Celebrity make changes on the upcoming Edge class ships still under construction (Apex, Opus, and Luxe)? Is a fundamental rethink of the cabin design with a return to traditional balconies even possible? And does anyone else think the Flying Carpet is unlikely to be a feature on all future Edge class ships? 

Edge may represent the first time a new class from RCI/Celebrity has missed the mark. Going all the way back to Song of Norway and Sovereign of the Seas, company has been known for real design innovations that change the industry. I’ll always appreciate their vision and risk-taking. But Edge feels like a swing and miss to me.

Have you actually sailed on Edge?  Just wondering.

I most heartily agree! I felt the same about the Solticization of the M class ships, which ruined the lovely passenger flow with odd dead ends, and ultimately destroyed the beauty of the individual specialty restaurants. I liked the differences between the M and S classes, because they had individual pros and cons (for me) while also having identical signature Celebrity touches. 

I think the thing most likely to keep us from sailing on the Edge class is the infinite verandah. We travel with 4-6 couples and love the fact we can open up our balcony partitions and have one large area to get together and relax.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

When the prices come down comparable to other Celebrity ships, I will certainly give Edge class a try.  That said, after 50 Celebrity cruises there are certain things I have come to really enjoy on my sailings, and some are compromised based on reviews I've read.  Go ahead and flame me if you want to - no, I have not sailed Edge yet and I am sure there are some things I will like about it and it will be fun to try something new.   But there are some known facts I do not need to have sailed her to be aware of and have an opinion on.  If you think that makes me a negative Nelly so be it.  But facts are facts, unless pictures are lying.

DH and I tend to be cabin rats - love to spend lots of time sitting out on our balcony enjoying the ocean and reading/relaxing.  From what I have read and seen about the furniture (modern design, seat not adjustable, no footstools, smaller table), I am not sure that will be as enjoyable going forward.  Common sense.  I also think the infinite balconies, while innovative, were not really developed with a real passenger's comfort in mind.  Form over function from what I have read.  Windows sometimes being controlled by management, no curtain to keep the sun out if someone still sleeping, room getting warmer when the window is open, room space smaller to allow a bigger bathroom (a plus) and a bigger bed (not needed).  Facts.  We occasionally sail three to a cabin with our adult son.  I don't need (or want) a bigger bed and smaller floor space. And the last thing I need in those cases is a smaller closet - we barely fit our clothes in before when there were three of us.   Call me a dinosaur, but the library was one of my favorite places on the ship.  Gone.   I love the look and atmosphere of the classic ocean liners - warm, welcoming.  The current ships embody that, with a modern edge.  I have never, nor will I ever, prefer what I consider 'cold' modern design.  That would of course not spoil my cruise, but it is not my preference.

I have sailed 6 Celebrity cruises in the past four months.  I have spoken to numerous fellow cruisers who have sailed on Edge to ask how they enjoyed it, hoping to hear good things versus reviews I have read.  To a person they were not very happy with the ship.  Many stated they would never sail her again.  I did not meet one, not one, who really liked the ship (although some were more neutral about it than others who really disliked it).

Did Celebrity miss the boat on these ships?  Of course it is too soon to know for sure.  But I really don't think just putting a new and more modern design out there is going to bring in the rich Millennials they are aiming for.  How many Millennials do you know that have never cruised, have heard about this ship, and are jumping at the chance to sail her?  I'm sure there are some - I personally do not know of any (and with a son of 32 temporarily living at home I have a chance to interact with many of them).  What I think Celebrity has done is turn off many of its loyal customers.  Our opinions get disregarded regularly, and yet we are the ones filling the other ships.  Those of us 40ish to 70 likely have at least 20 more years of cruising to come (God willing) and some more than that.  Many of us are, like myself, very, very loyal to Celebrity.  Did Celebrity make changes that appeal to us?  For the most part, it seems not.  If that proves to be the case, it seems to me that is one big, big mistake.  Time will tell.

Based on your post, EDGE may not be for you. And in my opinion, anyone with 3  adults per cabin would need to consider a suite of some kind. Our AQ Class IV had 1 king bed and a divan ..armless sofa..Closet  was just  enough for 2. Not sure what other cabins are like.

As for Royal C "new " ships, they are not for us.....We tried Oasis...could not wait to get off..more for families with children and zip line fans!  EDGE is modern but not a theme park..

• Like 1

We sailed an inside room, so can't speak to the IV's, but really enjoyed our time on the ship and if they give us some front facing views and take the scent out of Eden so my wife can utilize the space it would probably be our favorite ship.

The magic carpet was great, we enjoyed spending time out on it during the day and briefly on deck 5 at night before weather forced them to close it off. 

We booked an oceanview on the Apex to get the 2 perks and we are really looking forward to it.

The layout of the inside room, colors, storage space, and bathroom added up to the nicest inside cabin we have sailed to date.

I will say the entertainment was geared towards a younger crowd, great for us, which we heard some of the older crowd complain about it.

I hope the ships are ultimately a success.

The thing I am noticing on this board in particular with the Edge and the Revolution threads is that it seems people have very strong opinions on what they like, the old designs, and feel that Celebrity should have asked them what they wanted in a cruise ship instead of the designers they worked with. Being new to Celebrity the Edge is our first impression and it was a great one!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

Based on your post, EDGE may not be for you. And in my opinion, anyone with 3  adults per cabin would need to consider a suite of some kind. Our AQ Class IV had 1 king bed and a divan ..armless sofa..Closet  was just  enough for 2. Not sure what other cabins are like.

As for Royal C "new " ships, they are not for us.....We tried Oasis...could not wait to get off..more for families with children and zip line fans!  EDGE is modern but not a theme park..

We will be doing an oceanview with 3 adults on the Apex, I will have to do a report on how it went. It will be with our daughter who hopefully will just have finished up college, fingers crossed:)

• Like 1

We booked an Edge sailing when they first came available. We are both 60 with over 20 Cruises mostly on Celebrity. We booked a Sunset Veranda and except for some lighting technology it was like any other aft cabin on any other fleet.

As a ship it is amazing for its innovations, but we wont be back. If this is the direction Celebrity is going fleet wise, Its not for us anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

We sailed an inside room, so can't speak to the IV's, but really enjoyed our time on the ship and if they give us some front facing views and take the scent out of Eden so my wife can utilize the space it would probably be our favorite ship.

I haven't read about a scent in Eden before. What type of scent? Is it floral? Is it a heavy or only slight scent? I sometimes suffer from allergic symptoms to the perfumes people wear even if they're lightly applied and am concerned that the scent may make that space one we'd not be able to enjoy. 

10 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I haven't read about a scent in Eden before. What type of scent? Is it floral? Is it a heavy or only slight scent? I sometimes suffer from allergic symptoms to the perfumes people wear even if they're lightly applied and am concerned that the scent may make that space one we'd not be able to enjoy. 

My wife's words for it, was a combo of beef jerky and urine, which is why she couldn't stick around, made her nauseous. It didn't bother me quite as much but I didn't like the scent. My wife did talk to Celebrity about our survey on the phone and she made sure to make mention of this.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

My wife's words for it, was a combo of beef jerky and urine, which is why she couldn't stick around, made her nauseous. It didn't bother me quite as much but I didn't like the scent. My wife did talk to Celebrity about our survey on the phone and she made sure to make mention of this.

Wow! Thanks, that's good to know.

Just returned from our 7 day Edge cruise in Aqua. Let me explain why we loved our infinite balcony. #1- privacy - we have cruised many times with a normal balcony where the opaque dividers don't go all the way to the railing or to the deck. You can't go to the railing and look out without visually invading the space of neighbors. That works both ways and I REALLY want to respect other's privacy, so I stand back from the railing on those ships. One time, a neighbor decided to clean and trim his toe nails and leave the clipping in the gutter next to the railing. Gross! And I wasn't leaning over - just sitting in my chair. Such a relief to have solid walls. #2 - full use of the space 100% of the time. We had the bed by the bathroom. Turning the chairs to face inward gave us a very large, usable space. The Captain never locked the windows and the gentle breeze was perfect! You can easily lay in the sun, if you wish. For those who complained that they would hate the IV (many without even having cruised on Edge) consider this - If there were winds above say 20 mph, would you be sitting on your normal balcony? Of course not! So that valuable space you paid dearly for is wasted. The IV allows you to use the entire space all the time. Could there be improvements - yes. Putting the blackout blinds inside the folding doors (we have those in our bedroom at home) would solve some of the complaints. And going back to a queen size bed, like the S class, would give the additional cabin space others need between the bed and closet or bed and folding doors. Could also give back the space needed to enlarge the balcony to allow for foot rests or a larger table. But the basic concept works for us. Also loved the bathroom design with the heated mirror! Great entertainment through out the ship. Others have commented about an offputting smell in Eden. With our 40 years of experience in the entertainment industry, my guess is they were using a hazing machine with a liquid with a fragrance (puts a light fog into the air for better visual effects). Liquid without fragrance is readily available, and I did not notice any smell when we watched the show. I would suspect they have switched products. Two thumbs up for Edge overall. Did not like the cramped locker area in the spa. And why is there no single sex sauna adjacent to the lockers? Big fail there. Just my opinion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1