Power Outage on Millennium

mazza

Power went out on the Millennium this morning as we are sailing from Seoul to Tianjin - at about 11.30am local time for around 10 minutes. We had an announcement from Captain Alex saying that the engineers and electricians were troubleshooting and power would be back on in a few minutes and it was. At that time he said not to worry as we were sailing in safe waters. 😳 At a Captain’s Club event 30 minutes later, Captain Alex joked around, pulling out his phone and asking ‘did you pay the bill?’ After the event when he was talking with people his phone rang, and he turned away to talk, spoke to an officer and left the room. Hmmm.

The Internet has just come back on about 3.15pm. 

• Thanks 1

Yes. I was glad to have read about a similar event on a recent cruise, so I wasn’t too worried, but it’s a worry that it’s happening at all.

It’s nothing new.  Has probably happened to me at least 15 times during 70+ cruises across multiple lines.  It’s always addressed quite quickly.  Never occurred to me to start a cruise critic thread about it. 

Like with your computer sometimes you need to shut everything off and restart it. 

When in doubt, reboot. 

Hopefully that doesn’t happen on planes too often. 

I was on a Carnival ship about 10 years ago that lost power and propulsion at sea for about two hours in the dark in the Caribbean. It was a little unnerving.

• 3 weeks later...

Power outages and loss of propulsion of a ship of sea is taken entirely too lightly by cruise lines given the many thousands of lives that are at stake. Unfortunately, there is limited to no oversight of ship mechanics. Even the USCG is modest in inspections; focused on living quarters and food prep spaces.

Broaching and capsizing are possible outcomes when a ship is without power. The recent Viking Sky is an example of consequences.

Reading CC reviews, maritime law reports, crew centre etc, Cruise Junkie, there are many more loss of power incidents than are reported on these specific boards. 

On April 5, the Constellation was without power and propulsion in the open ocean, power was restored in 90 minutes or so. 

A ship without power is an accident waiting to happen.

3 hours ago, Doubt It said:

Power outages and loss of propulsion of a ship of sea is taken entirely too lightly by cruise lines given the many thousands of lives that are at stake. Unfortunately, there is limited to no oversight of ship mechanics. Even the USCG is modest in inspections; focused on living quarters and food prep spaces.

Broaching and capsizing are possible outcomes when a ship is without power. The recent Viking Sky is an example of consequences.

Reading CC reviews, maritime law reports, crew centre etc, Cruise Junkie, there are many more loss of power incidents than are reported on these specific boards. 

On April 5, the Constellation was without power and propulsion in the open ocean, power was restored in 90 minutes or so. 

Sorry but you are wrong about the USCG.  They do not inspect food and DO inspect the whole ship!!!

Currently on the millennium on day #10.  No power outages. 

(Unfortunately, The tv selections still suck and the reception is irregular.  But the water pressure in the shower is excellent.)

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

Doubt It wrote: "Even the USCG is modest in inspections; focused on living quarters and food prep spaces."

I believe that this is incorrect.  The US Coast Guard does not focus on food prep spaces -- you are thinking of the US Public Health Department.  

On 4/2/2019 at 10:42 PM, ABoatNerd said:

OP - did the ship lose propulsion during the power outage? 

Did the Millie show down and lose momentum?

To be honest I don't really know. I went out on the balcony and we seemed to still be moving forward but I don't understand ship propulsion enough to say one way or the other. I am trying to remember what they told us in the behind the scenes tour a few years ago about back up power but can't remember. 

On 4/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, Doubt It said:

As others have noted, the USCG does not really care about the hotel spaces or food prep, that is the USPH that inspects those.  The USCG ensures that all safety equipment is maintained to international standards, and that maintenance of all shipboard systems also meets international standards and manufacturer's recommendations.

Broaching and capsizing are very, very rare outcomes of a ship without power.  The Viking Sky incident you mention is just an example of a ship, with intact stability, and no power, in possibly the worst possible location and weather, spending hours broadside to the weather and not capsizing.  Please research the "SS Badger State" as an example of a ship, that had lost stability due to shifting of tons of cargo, and holes punched in the hull due to this cargo, what while without power or even crew onboard, survived a typhoon and was found days later still afloat and had to be sunk by Naval gunfire to remove the threat to navigation.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hcat said:

As always...thanks for the info...in language I can follow!

Do you have an opinion about the outages on newly refurbed ships?  Cause for real concern or not ?

Not a concern for me, anything can fail at any time, even right after a manufacturer inspection.  Many products have some "infant" mortality failure rates.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2