December 2020

AllisonJames

Is Seabourn usually this late posting itineraries?  Surprised they don’t have Dec 2020 and early 2021 up yet...Crystal for example already has all of 2021 up.  You’d think for holiday planning especially they’d have it by now...

• Like 1

Seabourn is ALWAYS the last to release their itineraries. No one knows why this is. They have no new ships to consider since the last new one, Ovation, was launched last year. And the expedition ships are a couple of years out.

If you ask Seabourn directly, they will probably tell you what they told me last month. But who knows?

What they told me - get this! - is 12 to 18 months before a sailing date. So e.g. a world cruise in Jan., 2021 can be booked now on Silversea, Cunard and Crystal but not on Seabourn. There is only one cruise in Nov., 2020 showing on Seabourn's website.

I will be on board Sojourn next month and will ask the cruise sales person. But that's only 17-19 months before Nov., 2020 and

Jan., 2021. Seabourn probably won't have anything to say.

What does this mean? Lots of people have booked the Silversea cruise, or at least one of them, since I see it's sold out. Early in 2020, year I am booked on Cunard for the same reason that I am looking at 2021 now. Seabourn was not ready a year ago to offer what I believed Cunard was selling fast at its best pricing. So if that's the way Seabourn competes they will lose business to competitors- for no good reason apart from their own structural deficiency, in my opinion.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

My understanding is that at least SB holiday cruises almost always sell out these days  even if posted  shorter notice than other lines, so at least for now they do not have to strain themselves. If the world economy has a downturn, and people stay closer to home, this may change.  I guess they could always partly make up for  potential losses by cutting out caviar on demand 😮

They apparently lost some advance bookers on this board, but will get others who cannot or do not need to plan that far ahead .

If we were both retired, we would avoid the nightmare of attempting holiday cruises out of western U.S.   Weather is bad all around the country where planes come from, flights are routinely cancelled frequently by pretty much any airline due to weather or mechanicals, and planes are so packed since 9/11 that there are usually no margins, even in business class, making rebooking a nightmare.  Plus, you get louder people on holidays and many people who do not cruise regularly.

If we lived close to a major embarkation port for SB, ( or any luxury line) e.g., within an easy drive, it would be easier to plan holiday cruises with less anxiety about Mr. Murphy’s plans. Right now, it is typically a big production with major advance planning required.

Keep checking!

SLSD,

We will embark Sojourn in Shanghai and disembark in Vancouver. Lots of sightseeing and sea days in all these culturally rich and varied ports across several timezones. A true adventure!

See you soon.

Happy and healthy cruising!

On 4/13/2019 at 1:55 AM, markham said:

SLSD,

We will embark Sojourn in Shanghai and disembark in Vancouver. Lots of sightseeing and sea days in all these culturally rich and varied ports across several timezones. A true adventure!

See you soon.

Happy and healthy cruising!

We are emarking in Shanghai and disembarking in Kobe. See you on board. Observation Bar at sail away? Anders and Karen here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...