Scuba with sharks in any of these ports?

Tigergenesis

Some of the people sailing with me in a few weeks are intrested in scuba diving excursions. They are particularly intrested in any that include sharks. Are there any such tours available in Nassau, Grand Turk or Amber cove that anyone can recommend?

TIA

Nassau... yes, Bahamas are known for sharks.  I think there is only 1 dive op available, Stuart Cove's.  

Grand Turk... we dived there and did see sharks in distance but the thrill there is the 7000' vertical wall you dive.  

Amber Cove...no diving.  Supposed to be diving out of Puerto Plata but it gets lots of negative reviews because of travel time and poor reefs and fishlife.

• Thanks 1

I'd say Nassau is the shark place...

Dived with Steward Coves a few weeks ago in Nassau and saw plenty of sharks.  They have a dedicated "Shark experience" dive, but the timing doesn't always match ones ship arrival/depart times, they are also the excursion operator for almost all cruise lines.

I dived twice with them on different cruises and last year was a typical "cruise ship" dive experience (huge dive boat/bus, lots of people on it, very "beginner level" dives).  Last month I dived again with them and got lucky, we were a tiny group of 3 divers all of us fairly to very experienced so the DM took us on slightly more adventurous dives (3 wrecks with a few swim-thrus and tons of sharks).

Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Nassau hands down for sharks. Because of the feeding and protection laws in the Bahamas there are plenty of sharks. In one week of diving we did 20 dives and saw sharks on 18 of the dives, almost always reef sharks as well as nurse.

There are two main dive operators, Stuart's Cove and Bahamas Diving. Bahamas diving is closer to the cruise ship terminal and mainly dives the north and east side of the island. Stuart Cove is a farther ride across the island and mainly dives the west and south side of the island. Both are good operations, personally I prefer Stuart's Cove as I prefer the diving in that area more as it is closer to the Tongue of the Atlantic.

• Thanks 1