Suites don't get Yacht Club?

qa4ever

I just posted a new thread asking about a 2nd bathroom alternative in YC. I was told there was a bathroom in the hall in one floor. We were in the 2-bedroom and loved it. Figured we'd book it again but then we read Aloha1's review of the YC and now everyone wants YC.

We just got off the Seaside a few weeks ago and were a family of four (12 year old girl and 14 year old boy) in a YC Deluxe Suite. The room was huuuuuge, as the US President would say compared to a standard balcony room. Approximately 1.5 times the size of the biggest standard cruise ship balcony. Our daughter slept on the sofa bed and son on the Pullman bed which was above the sofa bed. The butler and stateroom attendant put the beds away each morning and pulled them out while we were at dinner each evening to give more space. We also found the two full size closets and numerous drawers and cubbies to provide more than adequate storage space and we pack a lot! Also found two people could get ready in the bathroom at once easily given its larger size. Finally, the balcony was nicely sized. We could have asked for a few more chairs so all 4 of us could have sat out there at once if wanted to. 

I agree, the YC perks are the best. For us, it was really the pool deck (with grill) and the Topsail Lounge. Serenity and beautiful places to hang out with great drinks both inside and outside are what made it for us. Don't get me wrong, the butler was nice, but we didn't really ask for much because we didn't need much more. As for the restaurant, the food was very good, and on a few nights great, but the service was very, very inattentive. And we asked to move and switch spots and tried eating at different times. We almost felt bad we were disappointed with it. My wife and I in fact discussed requesting we be placed in the main dining room instead for dinner if we go back. 

Have fun no matter what room you sail in. We loved MSC and will try it again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LakeWobegon said:

We just got off the Seaside a few weeks ago and were a family of four (12 year old girl and 14 year old boy) in a YC Deluxe Suite. The room was huuuuuge, as the US President would say compared to a standard balcony room. Approximately 1.5 times the size of the biggest standard cruise ship balcony. Our daughter slept on the sofa bed and son on the Pullman bed which was above the sofa bed. The butler and stateroom attendant put the beds away each morning and pulled them out while we were at dinner each evening to give more space. We also found the two full size closets and numerous drawers and cubbies to provide more than adequate storage space and we pack a lot! Also found two people could get ready in the bathroom at once easily given its larger size. Finally, the balcony was nicely sized. We could have asked for a few more chairs so all 4 of us could have sat out there at once if wanted to. 

I agree, the YC perks are the best. For us, it was really the pool deck (with grill) and the Topsail Lounge. Serenity and beautiful places to hang out with great drinks both inside and outside are what made it for us. Don't get me wrong, the butler was nice, but we didn't really ask for much because we didn't need much more. As for the restaurant, the food was very good, and on a few nights great, but the service was very, very inattentive. And we asked to move and switch spots and tried eating at different times. We almost felt bad we were disappointed with it. My wife and I in fact discussed requesting we be placed in the main dining room instead for dinner if we go back. 

Have fun no matter what room you sail in. We loved MSC and will try it again.

From what I've read and our experience from what our TA told us when we tried to book a five person YC room for less than five, you got lucky.  There are 19 of 87 if I counted right that sleep five on Seaside.  Lucky in that MSC won't let people with four book the rooms for five, at least in some cases.

Interestingly enough, one of the rooms we have for two is a five that we booked long time ago.  I wasn't really paying attention, I just said 18 and that is what we got.

They told you right, mine, who bears a striking resemblance to me, kept checking to make sure they didn't change up rooms on me. I knew they could switch me to a room for four but once the YC was sold out, I relaxed. I will tell you, when I booked two plus years ago, the rate I got (without any industry discount other than the 5% everyone can get with the Voyagers Club), was almost identical to a balcony room on Carnival Vista the year before. Within a few dollars. Since that time, rates have continued to creep up and I notice the YC selling out on popular sailings well over a year in advance. I considered cancelling our Spring Break 2020 cruise on Carnival Panorama and doing Seaside or Meraviglia a few months back and everything was gone. Point being, I think you'd find out fairly quickly whether you would be bumped or not if the YC sells out.

P.S. You could also book a ghost child and just pay your taxes and fees to keep the room. But that just feels wrong to me. Wouldn't want to do that to someone who really needs to sleep 5.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:20 AM, PTC DAWG said:

Well said...I always tell my Bride, we're at sea, the wind is blowing...let it fly...

We did that!  I couldn't find the hairdryer and kept forgetting to ask about it.  So my daughter and I would stand on the balcony (we were at the front of the ship) and use the wind. 

4 hours ago, LakeWobegon said:

We just got off the Seaside a few weeks ago and were a family of four (12 year old girl and 14 year old boy) in a YC Deluxe Suite. The room was huuuuuge, as the US President would say compared to a standard balcony room. Approximately 1.5 times the size of the biggest standard cruise ship balcony. Our daughter slept on the sofa bed and son on the Pullman bed which was above the sofa bed.

Would you mind saying which room you had?  I've read people being surprised that the room configuration isn't what's on the deck plan in actuality.  It would be good to get confirmation on your room.  How tall is your 14yo boy?  I have 2 tall teenagers.  If the pullman is equivalent to the single bed, we'll be fine.  But I'm guessing it isn't.  

Edited by cathep
grammar correction

18018. Look for the square to indicate a Pullman bed and a diamond to indicate a double sofa bed or a triangle to indicate a single sofa bed. Our butler at first mentioned something about maybe not being able to use the Pullman bed because the seas might be rough and he was worried about someone falling out. But I think it was more so he didn't want to have to make it up and move it up and down every day. I was pretty insistent it be used as that's why we booked the room.  I'm hesitant to sail on Royal unless I could get a good rate on two rooms for this reason. I'm not sleeping on a sofa bed with my son all week! Anyway, he is about 5 foot 8. He never complained though he may have slept in the fetal position. Not sure. : ) Pic of the bed set-up below.

IMG-7938 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LakeWobegon said:

18018. Look for the square to indicate a Pullman bed and a diamond to indicate a double sofa bed or a triangle to indicate a single sofa bed. Our butler at first mentioned something about maybe not being able to use the Pullman bed because the seas might be rough and he was worried about someone falling out. But I think it was more so he didn't want to have to make it up and move it up and down every day. I was pretty insistent it be used as that's why we booked the room.  I'm hesitant to sail on Royal unless I could get a good rate on two rooms for this reason. I'm not sleeping on a sofa bed with my son all week! Anyway, he is about 5 foot 8. He never complained though he may have slept in the fetal position. Not sure. : ) Pic of the bed set-up below.

IMG-7938 (1).jpg

Thank you so much! That's a huge help.

We had a different kind of room on Seaside, an Aft Suite but I laugh when I see the coffee table. That was always in the way and we could not get them to take it out of our stateroom. For us it was so unnecessary and a pain constantly moving it out of the way.

3 minutes ago, cparker01 said:

We had a different kind of room on Seaside, an Aft Suite but I laugh when I see the coffee table. That was always in the way and we could not get them to take it out of our stateroom. For us it was so unnecessary and a pain constantly moving it out of the way.

Where were the supposed to take it to?

The YC2 cabins on Divina are amazing. YouTube them...

i was shocked to see on the Seaside they reclassified them and now have no yacht club access.

We had booked those many times. Wanted to try seaside so booked a YC1.

Thought them very small. The 2 so-called closets looked like an after thought. They were very small. One had the 2 robes in it and there was only room for about 2 other items.

but.....we did have the full yacht club experience which is what it is all about.

We were lucky enough to find a YC3 on the Seaside available this October so we snagged it. Can’t wait !

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2019 at 3:33 PM, LakeWobegon said:

IMG-7938 (1).jpg

Thanks for posting. Do you have any more pictures of 18018? We recently booked it for a cruise next spring.

I'm 6' and was able to sleep on the sofa bed and stuffed me, my wife and two teenage girls in the YC. Maybe our family dynamics work (I am an early riser, they are not), so didn't have to fight for the bathroom.

The room was great, and as another poster had mention, it's 1.5X bigger than the average RCCL or NCL balconie rooms.

Plenty of storage, so no need to worry about that.

I love being able to go down the hall to eat and drink...only left the YC to get my gelato (Seaside).

On 4/2/2019 at 1:02 PM, kodesthemoose said:

We are a family of 5 and are doing the Seaview in YC.  Yes, we fully expect the room to be small, and of course having more than one bathroom would be nice.  But figured the perks of YC more than made up for a smaller stateroom.  

You're going to be glad you went YC!  Sailed the Seaside 2 years ago with 5 people in a YC1 room, it got kinda tight getting ready for dinner, but the butler from the Topsail Lounge had no problem finding a place to put our pre-dinners drinks each night! LOL

A tip, we picked a room right across the hallway from the YC public restrooms.  They are rarely used. This way, those of us could take care of "freshening up" while others continued to get ready in the cabin. 😜

Last year, we sailed the Seaside again with "only" 4 in the cabin, was a little easier, but 5 is doable, esp since you'll spend a lot of time in the lounge and the pool deck!

On 4/2/2019 at 12:37 PM, qa4ever said:

Hi I am new to MSC.  If I were to book a 2 bedroom grand suite, does that not get access to the Yacht club?

Seems the Yacht club rooms are smaller???  Usually prefer a bigger room with suite experience.

YC is a different product and area. 

How does the price per person compare from a YC Royal Suite? 

On 9/10/2020 at 5:53 PM, psmarkle said:

You're going to be glad you went YC!  Sailed the Seaside 2 years ago with 5 people in a YC1 room, it got kinda tight getting ready for dinner, but the butler from the Topsail Lounge had no problem finding a place to put our pre-dinners drinks each night! LOL

How did you fit 5 in a room?

We enjoyed our balcony room (2) and if our kids had been with us- would have put them in an interior. That was our  typical SOP -- when they were young. Once they were adults, we put them in a balcony on the same hall

I am wondering if they will reduce occupancy because of post covid

• The 5-person YC1's have a pullman bed that drops down from the ceiling.  It's not bad, really, but does get tight when everyone is getting ready for dinner.  However, during the day, not a problem as we camped out on the YC pool deck for the day 😊
Edited by psmarkle