Jump to content

Viking Ocean - Combined Cruise Schedule


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, shadowlover said:

Just curious where you read the information regarding Australia barring entry to non essential travel through mid 22?  We pulled out of a February cruise because I was afraid New Zealand would be very slow to open.  We have friends still booked however.  It's a lot of money to keep tied up with viking which is the main reason I pulled out.  I regret it at times.... Not sure how easy it will be in the coming years to jump back into a good deal cruising Australia and New Zealand.

Hmmmm. I read an article that said so however I found this govt Site that says "Since 27 March 2020, no foreign-flagged cruise ships may enter Australian waters (with limited exceptions). The cruise ship ban has been extended to 17 June 2021, but this does not mean the ban will be lifted at that time. The Australian Health Principal Protection Committee reviews the ban regularly." 

 

I also just found this https://www.cnn.com/travel/amp/australia-travel-covid-19/index.html

 

And - somebody here on CCForum who lives in Australia shared the news (direct quote) about the closure continuing through mid-March. I just can't remember  now the CCForum thread name. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

 

 

And - somebody here on CCForum who lives in Australia shared the news (direct quote) about the closure continuing through mid-March. I just can't remember  now the CCForum thread name. 

Firstly CharTrav - thank you for all your excellent work keeping us all informed about changes and keeping your spreadsheet up to date.

 

It wasn't me that posted the quote you mentioned but from what we read and are told it is an accurate reflection of the situation. The vaccine roll out here has been slow - Pfizer has been used for the elderly and health workers etc  .. but we are 'ineligible' for Pfizer (there is not sufficient supply and we aren't old enough) and received out first Astra Zenica shot today with a second shot in 3 months. AZ is manufactured in Australia, Pfizer comes in from overseas.

 

There has been some adverse publicity around AZ which has made many hesitant - and it seems many are waiting for increased supplies of Pfizer or the first batch of Moderna to become available later in the year. Which means significant numbers won't be fully vaccinated by the end of this year - and the Federal government has indicated they won't be opening borders to tourism until we reach this point.

 

Interestingly, several of our states have had elections over recent months and Premiers (equiv to your State Governors) who have held the hardest lines on lockdowns / border closures etc have been rewarded with very large voter support.

 

The message from voters being ... you keep us safe and we will support you.

 

I live in Queensland - population of about 5 million. We have had 7 deaths from COVID since the beginning of the pandemic. We currently have 12 people in hospital with COVID across the State (all Australian citizens who have arrived from overseas).

 

The numbers are obviously miniscule. Which leads to another problem - some people are saying we have no COVID in the community and our international borders are closed to tourism, so why get a vaccine ?

 

So for those of you who are hoping to visit Australia by the end of 2021. I suggest the chances are next to zero.

 

For those hoping to visit in the first few months of next year, possible but unlikely.

 

The general view of many health and other so-called experts - probably mid 2022 before large scale tourism begins.

 

We have already postponed our South America cruise twice and we can't wait to travel and to be on-board Viking again, but we are safe and our national economy is much, much better that anyone expected 12 months ago - so we do generally support the overall approach which our political leaders have taken.

 

We just wish the vaccine program had started earlier and the uptake was a little higher.

 

Cheers, LM

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Little Monty Thanks much for your detailed response. Frankly Australia and New Zealand deserve lots of praise for how well their Federal and State governments have been and are continuing to manage the pandemic,  as well as, their citizenry who are supporting the strict protective measures imposed.  You are definitely reaping the benefits of people behaving in a sane & rational way in contrast to the murderous clown car of our last administration along with the hideous horde of brainless followers who went along with and supported whatever idiocy said clown car said. Whereas Australia and New Zealand have had as of 2 days ago (per Johns Hopkins University data) a total of 910 and 26 deaths, respectively - we here in the US are coming up on 590,000. Am quite sure this number would be even higher if clown car was still running things. For sure our vaccination program would not be anywhere near where it is now.   Bottom line - you folks did a great job and I wish you well with your vaccination program. I can say that my husband and I are fully vaccinated and have been since late March. We are eagerly looking forward by the way to doing Australia/New Zealand with the Tongariro Park pre- and Best of Australia post-extensions in Jan/Feb 2023. 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

@Little Monty Thanks much for your detailed response. 

It's actually quite a study in human behaviour. We Aussies have a reputation for being irreverent and somewhat (for the want of a better term) happy-go-lucky. Yet when the medical people said wear a mask, the great majority wore a mast. When the medical people said stay home and don't mingle in groups, we stayed home ... etc.

 

Largely on the basis of good medical advice combined with large levels of compliance our lives have been much less affected than elsewhere. Except for a short period in March - April last year, I have continued to play golf every week. My wife goes to the gym several times a week. We go out for lunch or dinner a couple of times a week  .. and so on - with social distancing, hand hygiene, contact tracing app usage etc all in place.

 

The vaccine program here is ramping up and I just hope many of those who have been or are hesitant about getting the jab, do so.

 

Aside, I and many of my friends and colleagues are fascinated by US politics and we do follow US achievements and disappointments with interest. I wish the current administration well in what lies ahead.

 

I skied Tongariro many years ago. It is a lovely location, the scenery across most of New Zealand is wonderful. And I look forward to you and your husband joining us for a visit in 2022 / 2023.

 

If you need to seek a second opinion on anything local (excursions, travel times, purchase prices, local customs etc), please feel free to ask.

 

Regards and best wishes, LM

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Covid may not kill you in Oz, but lots of other things will do the job -- venomous snakes, deadly spiders, box jellyfish, melanoma -- the list goes on and on. No wonder the linked article calls Australia the "home of deadly."

 

My experience with the country has been relatively benign, thought I still remember the crocodile warnings on the beaches north of Cairns. But don't get me started on Vegemite!

 

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2013/03/australias-dangerous-animals-the-top-30/

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Covid may not kill you in Oz, but lots of other things will do the job -- venomous snakes, deadly spiders, box jellyfish, melanoma -- the list goes on and on. No wonder the linked article calls Australia the "home of deadly."

 

My experience with the country has been relatively benign, thought I still remember the crocodile warnings on the beaches north of Cairns. But don't get me started on Vegemite!

 

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2013/03/australias-dangerous-animals-the-top-30/

That's gold 😀, a great story.

 

However, vegemite is fantastic .. but don't take my word for it 

 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-13/tom-hanks-saturday-night-live-opening-monologue-vegemite-joke/12144108

 

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/coronavirus-tom-hanks-responds-to-uproar-over-excessive-vegemite-during-his-covid19-lockdown/news-story/f43fc801c066ef58a9a74b600d97ad66

 

Oh .. and look at the brand of typewriter Tom uses. 😁

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

However, vegemite is fantastic .. but don't take my word for it

Don't worry, I won't!

 

Seriously, I do love Australia  and New Zealand. I've been to the former twice and the latter three times, all land-based trips. You mentioned skiing Tongariro -- back in 1998, I did the Tongariro Crossing over a couple of days. Great fun. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Don't worry, I won't!

 

Seriously, I do love Australia  and New Zealand. I've been to the former twice and the latter three times, all land-based trips. You mentioned skiing Tongariro -- back in 1998, I did the Tongariro Crossing over a couple of days. Great fun. 

 

Well done on all the visits  .. some photos below to bring back memories  (if the photos don't post I'll try again in a minute).

 

It is real vinegar.

 

Cheers, LM

 

 

 

P1030386.JPG

P1030387.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Little Monty said:

That's gold 😀, a great story.

 

However, vegemite is fantastic .. but don't take my word for it 

 

 

Haha!! brings back memories of our R/T Sydney WC where 95% pax were from Austalia & New Zealand. Needless to say I lost the Vegemite v's Marmite debate😒

Link to post
Share on other sites

The land of the deadly for sure.  Upon arrival at the float above the Great Barrier Reef, the first thing we had to do was don a full body "Stinger Suit".  So the invisible (actually just tiny) jellyfish would not kill us. 😱  Ok, why are we paying to do this??  The stinger suit was a real pain to get on....  Then ten times worse to get off when wet.  Sort of like skinning yourself...🍺  There is a very good reason for all the pubs in OZ.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2021 at 10:46 PM, CharTrav said:

Was alerted elsewhere in this forum that the VO schedule for June and July is now empty.  Had already noticed last week that Orion's Alaska & the Inside Passage was no longer scheduled this Summer and its two Trans-Pacific cruises starting in Vancouver on Aug 27 were flagged with "SOLD OUT" (a good sign a cancellation is imminent).  Thus -- have updated and posted the spreadsheet to DropBox.  As an FYI -- the British Isles Explorer sailing on Aug 9th is also flagged with "SOLD OUT" -- a reliable harbinger that it too will be cancelled along with its 2 sailings in June & July.  When the official notice of these cancellations are posted to Updates on Current Sailings, will adjust the cancellation date used in the spreadsheet and repost to DropBox.   As always, the link to the spreadsheet is https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8pm1betyh91wlhf/AABBcPIWuqWJQtR5JrNSFOqMa?dl=0, no DropBox account required to access and download. If you already have it .. just use the link provided in the ReadMe tab to download a fresh copy.

We are (were?) scheduled for the 27 Aug sailing of the Orion North Pacific cruise.  I watched with interest as the available cabins went from "sold out" just after we booked in July last year, to a few open cabins popping up here and there.  Then it went into a full cascade of dozens of cancellations last winter.  A week later it was listed a sold out again.  Fishy?  Yeah.

 

At any rate, Canada is off limits, Russia is closed and Japan will likely be a no-go until next year. This one isn't going to happen.  I just wish Viking would put us out of our misery instead of rescheduling our flights to a closed up Vancouver every week.

Edited by Donaghadee
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Donaghadee said:

I just wish Viking would put us out of our misery instead of rescheduling our flights to a closed up Vancouver every week.

I spoke with a fellow in customer relations  a few weeks ago about this and other topics.  I think basically they're hedging their bets -- perhaps hoping that Canada will change its position regarding cruise ships. Thus not wanting to cancel that sailing until they know for sure it won't happen but in the meantime not accepting new bookings.  I realize it's enough to drive you crazy.  We went thru a bit of that craziness with our now canceled midnight sun cruise this July.  Nevertheless, the position we took for that cruise along with another booked way before the pandemic hit AND one we booked a week before everything went haywire was simply to wait for Viking to cancel. If that meant making the final payment on two cruises we knew were at risk, we did so. That gave us the best chance to get back everything we'd paid (including travel insurance) as 100% cash credit or 125% future cruise voucher. I understand that some may not have this kind of flexibility with their finances; fortunately we do.

Edited by CharTrav
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Money isn't the issue. We have four other cruises paid for and in the queue.  I just detest being led on unnecessarily.  Viking certainly saw this coming months ago and could have made schedule changes then.  We would have had more time to nab another cruise before it was booked up.  Yes, we could have re-booked voluntarily, but the Viking reps kept telling us not to worry.  Now we're at the tail end of the queue for the North Pacific sailing next year.  I won't make that mistake again...

 

Canada isn't an issue now that Congress waived the PVSA Act, opening Alaska for business.  Great. The remainder of the itinerary (Russia and Japan) is the problem.  Further, having Oz and New Zed shut for another 12 months just exacerbates the situation.  Orion effectively has no area in the Western Pacific to operate until next year. 

Edited by Donaghadee
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Donaghadee said:

Canada isn't an issue now that Congress waived the PVSA Act, opening Alaska for business.  Great. The remainder of the itinerary (Russia and Japan) is the problem.  Further, having Oz and New Zed shut for another 12 months just exacerbates the situation.  Orion effectively has no area in the Western Pacific to operate until next year. 

Yikes! Agree - totally sucks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

How about a prognostication? 

 

Orion finishes up in Bermuda on the 10th of August. It takes 16-17 days by ship to go from Bermuda to Seattle, plus around $150K to transit the Panama Canal.  Knowing that, what are the odds Orion does late season Alaska cruises?  Asking for a friend...😉

 

Edit:  That 16-17 days is non-stop.

Edited by Donaghadee
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Donaghadee said:

Canada isn't an issue now that Congress waived the PVSA Act, opening Alaska for business.  Great. The remainder of the itinerary (Russia and Japan) is the problem.  Further, having Oz and New Zed shut for another 12 months just exacerbates the situation.  Orion effectively has no area in the Western Pacific to operate until next year. 

 

Unfortunately, it isn't quite that simple, as for the TP to sail, Viking has a few more challenges to solve.

 

The Canadian Interim Order banned cruise ships from operating in Canadian Waters, not just the ports. The US waiver eliminates the need for foreign-flagged cruise ships, engaged in domestic trade, to call at a foreign port. However, the waiver does not permit cruise ships to operate in Canadian Territorial Waters.

 

Based on the traffic separation scheme in Juan de Fuca, a cruise ship departing Seattle must transit through Canadian Waters to reach open ocean. The cruise lines still need to address this issue.

 

If/when cruise lines are approved to operate from Seattle, the TP is not possible due to current US CDC restrictions, which would be applicable, if the cruise departed from Seattle, or called at an Alaskan port. If entering US Territorial Waters, the max length of a cruise is 7-days, unless it is one of their recent changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was running ships out of Seattle (admittedly a while back) each country had the guarantee of free passage in the Strait of Juan De Fuca.  For Canada to insist their half of the strait is out of limits is in effect placing a blockade on Seattle.  I don't think that is what they have in mind.  Of course I could be wrong.  Just ask Lois....😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

 

Unfortunately, it isn't quite that simple, as for the TP to sail, Viking has a few more challenges to solve.

 

The Canadian Interim Order banned cruise ships from operating in Canadian Waters, not just the ports. The US waiver eliminates the need for foreign-flagged cruise ships, engaged in domestic trade, to call at a foreign port. However, the waiver does not permit cruise ships to operate in Canadian Territorial Waters.

 

Based on the traffic separation scheme in Juan de Fuca, a cruise ship departing Seattle must transit through Canadian Waters to reach open ocean. The cruise lines still need to address this issue.

 

If/when cruise lines are approved to operate from Seattle, the TP is not possible due to current US CDC restrictions, which would be applicable, if the cruise departed from Seattle, or called at an Alaskan port. If entering US Territorial Waters, the max length of a cruise is 7-days, unless it is one of their recent changes.

Borrowed from the Alaska thread, but is excerpted from the Canadian Act. 

Pay particular attention to: Prohibition Exceptions: 5 (e). 

As well as Foreign Vessels in Certain Waters: 2 (a).

Without these being effective, the Alaska ferry system would not have been continuously transiting from Bellingham to Sitka throughout the Canadian closure.

 

Carnival, Holland America and Princess know this, otherwise they would not suddenly be offering Alaska cruises from Seattle were it not true.

 

Prohibition

Prohibition — Canadian waters other than arctic waters

3 It is prohibited to navigate, moor, anchor or berth in Canadian waters, other than arctic waters, if

  • (a) the passenger vessel is certified to carry more than 100 persons as indicated on its inspection certificate or Passenger Ship Safety Certificate issued under the Vessel Certificates Regulations or on an equivalent certificate issued by a foreign government; and
  • (b) the passenger vessel is equipped with berths or cabins for overnight travel by passengers.

Prohibition — arctic waters

4 It is prohibited for a passenger vessel to enter arctic waters from any other waters.

Exceptions

5 (1) Sections 3 and 4 do not apply to

  • (a) a vessel that is in distress or providing assistance to a vessel or person in distress;
  • (b) a vessel that is forced to navigate, moor, anchor or berth to avoid immediate danger;
  • (c)a vessel that is engaged in research and that is operated by or under the authority of the Government of Canada, or at its request, or operated by a provincial government, a local authority or a government, council or other entity authorized to act on behalf of an Indigenous group;
  • (d) a vessel that carries
    • (i) employees of the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government, or
    • (ii) peace officers who require a transportation service in the course of performing their duties or functions;
  • (e) a foreign vessel in the territorial sea of Canada that is exercising the right of innocent passage in accordance with international law and article 19 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, done at Montego Bay on 10 December 1982; and
  • (f) a vessel that is not in service.

Foreign vessels in certain waters

(2) Despite section 3, a foreign vessel may, in the Great Lakes, the Inside Passage, the St. Lawrence River, the Gulf of St. Lawrence or the St. Lawrence Seaway

  • (a) navigate, if passage is expeditious; and
  • (b) moor, berth or anchor if those activities are incidental to the passage.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

The Canadian Interim Order banned cruise ships from operating in Canadian Waters, not just the ports. The US waiver eliminates the need for foreign-flagged cruise ships, engaged in domestic trade, to call at a foreign port. However, the waiver does not permit cruise ships to operate in Canadian Territorial Waters.

So much for the idea I started to include after my "Yikes!" comment -- doing the inner passage by sailing around Vancouver from Ketchikan! And I also thought about Seattle .. oh well... so much for that idea!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

So much for the idea I started to include after my "Yikes!" comment -- doing the inner passage by sailing around Vancouver from Ketchikan! And I also thought about Seattle .. oh well... so much for that idea!

You apparently didn't look at my post.  Carnival, Holland America and Princess are departing via Seattle.  Don't know which route they will take.  Nonetheless, they will transit Canadian waters.

The Alaska Ferry (500+ pax, US flag) has been running the Inside Passage between Bellingham, WA and Sitka, AK without pause.

 

Just looking for a guess on Viking joining the fray.

Edited by Donaghadee
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Donaghadee said:

Borrowed from the Alaska thread, but is excerpted from the Canadian Act. 

Pay particular attention to: Prohibition Exceptions: 5 (e). 

As well as Foreign Vessels in Certain Waters: 2 (a).

Without these being effective, the Alaska ferry system would not have been continuously transiting from Bellingham to Sitka throughout the Canadian closure.

 

Carnival, Holland America and Princess know this, otherwise they would not suddenly be offering Alaska cruises from Seattle were it not true.

 

Prohibition

Prohibition — Canadian waters other than arctic waters

3 It is prohibited to navigate, moor, anchor or berth in Canadian waters, other than arctic waters, if

  • (a) the passenger vessel is certified to carry more than 100 persons as indicated on its inspection certificate or Passenger Ship Safety Certificate issued under the Vessel Certificates Regulations or on an equivalent certificate issued by a foreign government; and
  • (b) the passenger vessel is equipped with berths or cabins for overnight travel by passengers.

Prohibition — arctic waters

4 It is prohibited for a passenger vessel to enter arctic waters from any other waters.

Exceptions

5 (1) Sections 3 and 4 do not apply to

  • (a) a vessel that is in distress or providing assistance to a vessel or person in distress;
  • (b) a vessel that is forced to navigate, moor, anchor or berth to avoid immediate danger;
  • (c)a vessel that is engaged in research and that is operated by or under the authority of the Government of Canada, or at its request, or operated by a provincial government, a local authority or a government, council or other entity authorized to act on behalf of an Indigenous group;
  • (d) a vessel that carries
    • (i) employees of the Government of Canada or a provincial or territorial government, or
    • (ii) peace officers who require a transportation service in the course of performing their duties or functions;
  • (e) a foreign vessel in the territorial sea of Canada that is exercising the right of innocent passage in accordance with international law and article 19 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, done at Montego Bay on 10 December 1982; and
  • (f) a vessel that is not in service.

Foreign vessels in certain waters

(2) Despite section 3, a foreign vessel may, in the Great Lakes, the Inside Passage, the St. Lawrence River, the Gulf of St. Lawrence or the St. Lawrence Seaway

  • (a) navigate, if passage is expeditious; and
  • (b) moor, berth or anchor if those activities are incidental to the passage.

 

May I suggest that before quoting regulations you might want to research the actual complete text, as you have quoted a small portion, none of which is applicable to your arguement on the Alaska State ferries. BTW - I have read the entire Interim Order multiple times, and also have a working knowledge of the Canada Shipping Act. As with all Acts, Regulations & Orders it is open for interpretation.

 

This is NOT a Canadian Act, as those must be passed by Parliament, this is an Interim Order, which was released by the Minister of Transport. Interim Orders are permitted by the Canada Shipping Act.

 

In this "Interim Order", Section 1 refers to definitions, with passenger vessels and ferry vessels each have a separate definition. Section 2 applies to both passenger vessels & ferry vessels. Sections 3, 4 & 5 apply to passenger vessels, which in the definitions exclude ferry vessels. Therefore, the sections you quoted are NOT applicable to the Alaska State Ferries.

 

In the Interim Order, standards for "Ferry Vessels",  are covered in Sections 6 & 7, which you did not copy. Provided the Master & Authorised Representative ensure a ferry complies with the requirements of Section 6 & 7, the ferry is exempt from the requirements of Sections 3 & 4. This is why BC Ferries and Alaska State Ferries have continued to operate on the BC Coast.

 

Section 5 - the only exemption listed that could be applicable is 5(e), which makes reference to the "Right of Free Passage", as outlined in UNCLOS Article 19. Since the primary purpose of this "Interim Order" is protecting the health of Canadians, Canada could make a determination that large cruise ships operating close to our coast could overwhelm our public health system, while we deal with COVID infections.

 

Section 13.1 (b) - the Minister of Transport, after consulting with the BC Chief Health Officer and the Minister of Health, may exempt a passenger ship if it does not pose a threat to our Public Health.

 

Our BC Chief Medical Health Officer has performed her role exceptionally well, so since this Interim Order was written, our daily infections and hospitalisations are well below their peak. Would she approve, if requested - I'll suggest that will require our numbers keep dropping, as we progress through the projected re-opening plan.

 

I have never said that Canada would prevent access to our Territorial Waters, what I have said is that it will require dialogue to determine the interpretation and if required, apply for an exemption, or issue the 60 day notice of arrival in ample time.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CharTrav said:

So much for the idea I started to include after my "Yikes!" comment -- doing the inner passage by sailing around Vancouver from Ketchikan! And I also thought about Seattle .. oh well... so much for that idea!

 

A great idea, but very few cruise ships based in Seattle use Georgia Strait & Johnstone Strait, as they tend to head out Juan de Fuca and up the Pacific Ocean, to the West of Vancouver Island. This is why Vancouver cruises are way more scenic than Seattle cruises.

 

Taking the Georgia Strait routing adds about an extra 100 miles, significantly increases the pilotage costs and they have the additional challenge of adjusting speed to catch slack water at Seymour Narrows.

 

Therefore, the Georgia Strait routing increases pilotage and fuel costs and may further reduce the hours in Alaska.

 

I recall when Viking first published Alaska cruises, they mentioned sailing through the entire Inside Passage, rather than heading out to Hecate Strait. When they resume Alaska, if they transit the entire BC Inside Passage, we might even consider booking one of those. It's the best part of the West Coast and would bring back some great memories.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

A great idea, but very few cruise ships based in Seattle use Georgia Strait & Johnstone Strait, as they tend to head out Juan de Fuca and up the Pacific Ocean, to the West of Vancouver Island. This is why Vancouver cruises are way more scenic than Seattle cruises

thanks! my idea was that a way to avoid docking in Vancouver and still catch the inner  pasaage would be to do a 2 day loop from Ketchikan down the Inner Passage and then around the west side of Vancouber Island back to Ketchikan but in a way doing that made no sense. what do you do afterwards?? Where's the final port? near an airport? 

 

our first ocean cruise together was Alaska & the Inside Passage on HAL's Statendam. So I agree it is a sight not to be missed. 

 

anyway - I guess folks will have to be patient and be respectful of the measures countries choose to protect their citizens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CharTrav said:

thanks! my idea was that a way to avoid docking in Vancouver and still catch the inner  pasaage would be to do a 2 day loop from Ketchikan down the Inner Passage and then around the west side of Vancouber Island back to Ketchikan but in a way doing that made no sense. what do you do afterwards?? Where's the final port? near an airport? 

 

our first ocean cruise together was Alaska & the Inside Passage on HAL's Statendam. So I agree it is a sight not to be missed. 

 

anyway - I guess folks will have to be patient and be respectful of the measures countries choose to protect their citizens. 

 

That's a great idea, however rather than heading up the West Coast in open water, how about returning Northbound, also using the Inland Passage. A number of areas have alternate routes, so it doesn't have to be exactly the same route on the return.

 

After I left the cruise ships, I worked on the North Coast ferries and every summer we alternated 1 day northbound and 1 southbound. Between Prince Rupert and the northern tip of Vancouver Island it is amazing scenery.

 

The other consideration is daylight. From around Vancouver to Prince Rupert is about 24 hrs steaming, so some parts would be transitted at night. If they returned through the Inside Passage, hopefully they could arrange the timing so you saw it all in daylight at least once.

 

We should get into the cruise scheduling business.😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...