Seward or whitter?

mkkao924

Despite the different cruise lines, what's the pros and cons between Seward and Whitter?

We don't have a preference on NB or SB, but either way we will rent a car in Anchorage for 2-3 days.

A few questions:

1. In terms of train views, is the view from/to Seward better or Whitter?

2. In terms of views, is the view from bus or train different? How different?

3. Since we will be renting cars in Anchorage, and I have heard one way rental can be pretty expensive, that's why I am thinking about taking the train / bus. We have 6 people, so we will be renting a minivan. Does this make sense for us?

4. Again, since we will be renting a car for a few days, and I was told 2-3 days is not enough for Denali, but should be doable for Kenai Peninsula, from this perspective, we should be able to take either Whitter or Seward, is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, Coral said:

I think the train is better from Anchorage to Seward.

The train from Seward to Anchorage is no different....it's just in the other direction.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

The train from Seward to Anchorage is no different....it's just in the other direction.

I was comparing it to Whittier. I think the scenery is better between Anchorage and Seward.

Well, the train from Anchorage to Seward, will also cover the majority of the Anchorage to Whittier Route, except, you will cut off at Portage and go through the multi use (both cars and the train are allowed, at different times though)tunnel!

Yes, there will be different views if you take the train all the way versus driving, as the train does not parallel the highway all the way down!  

I know driving (not sure about the bus schedule) will take less than taking the train.  Got to chug through those mountains, on the train!

One ways are expensive, because, they are limited (think only one of the major rental car companies) operate both to Whittier and Seward!

The thing about renting and driving, you would be able to stop and see things along the way.  There are lots of things to see on the way to Seward!

Susan in Anchorage:classic_smile:

4 hours ago, Coral said:

I was comparing it to Whittier. I think the scenery is better between Anchorage and Seward.

And I was just making the point...since the OP hasn't decided NB or SB. 

A good option (as you know) would be a northbound from Vancouver ending in Seward..train to ANC and then rent a minivan.

Thanks everybody!

since we will spend a few days in greater Anchorage area (not sure if this is even the right term), we will most likely visit Seward anyway. My thinking is that if we can drive and still enjoy the same level of the scenery, then we don’t necessarily need to select Seward. Obviously the one way rental price will vary, and we just need to find the right time to book. 

Glacier Bay is a must for us, so we are pretty much down to Princess (Whittier) or Holland America (Seward). I saw some Princess itinerary has both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, which is very attractive, but if Whittier is really boring to death, I am not sure if we should pick that itinerary...

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Forget about the train rides.  There are lots of interesting things to see and do around Seward.  Whittier is just a port with absolutely nothing interesting near it.

DON

Whittier has a great glacier boat ride. Seward does have more things to do.

1 hour ago, mkkao924 said:

Glacier Bay is a must for us, so we are pretty much down to Princess (Whittier) or Holland America (Seward). I saw some Princess itinerary has both Hubbard and Glacier Bay, which is very attractive, but if Whittier is really boring to death, I am not sure if we should pick that itinerary...

Princess does have great itineraries. Southbound does have Glacier Bay and Hubbard.

I would spend a few days in Seward and then take the cruise out of Whittier. The 26 glacier boat ride is good in Whittier.

You can fly into Anchorage and rent a car and go to Seward and then return the car in Anchorage and then go to Whittier in the morning for the 26 glacier boat ride and then cruise.

Edited by Coral

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Whittier has a great glacier boat ride. Seward does have more things to do.

Good point about the Whittier boat trip.  I do think that the one out of Seward is better and Seward has a lot of other neat things in or near it.

DON