Oasis Transatlantic Cruise has been cancelled

If I had non refundable airfare I would fly in & do a land vacation. Since I live & work in Cocoa Beach I was hearing stories yesterday about peoples canceled cruise & I do feel bad for the wedding party that was supposed to get married on the Oasis. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Travel insurance will not work in this situation and most people are stuck with expensive non-refundable flights!

Giving $400 for the flights is a bad joke!👎🖕

My insurance policy covers these flights, if yours doesn’t that’s unfortunate but not an issue for the cruise line. 

59 minutes ago, Jax129 said:

If I had non refundable airfare I would fly in & do a land vacation.  

I would normally absolutely agree with this and do the same thing.

But, considering the thread is about the transatlantic cruise, now I would need to also buy one-way airfare there. And that would make me angry. If anything, it teaches me to use cruise air if I ever take a TA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They are only giving about 160% due to creative math and once you deduct about 2K airfare ...you are for sure not making money....😟

Sorry but no. There is no denying the cruise line is giving 200% refund. If one hasn’t been responsible enough to insure their flights that is on them and doesn’t change their refund one cent.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alter Ego said:

I would normally absolutely agree with this and do the same thing.

But, considering the thread is about the transatlantic cruise, now I would need to also buy one-way airfare there. And that would make me angry. If anything, it teaches me to use cruise air if I ever take a TA.

Another one-way fare - bought only 2 weeks out is $$$$😱

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

My insurance policy covers these flights, if yours doesn’t that’s unfortunate but not an issue for the cruise line. 

Where I live the supplier has to cover ALL costs and 150% of the fare mandatory!

Therefore there is no insurance to cover such an incident as it makes no sense....

But I have to admit that is the risk you take - when booking in the US with 🖕 consumer laws.....so I guess RCI is actually doing a little bit more than they would have to.....

Let's see what we get once we have all the $ back + FCC ...as of now we have not gotten anything but have to pay for new flights etc. so we can go on vacation instead of being stuck home....🙄

9 hours ago, livylotte said:

I think that would depend on the Insurance Policy.  I have called my insurer and in the event of my May 26th sailing being cancelled they have confirmed that my policy would cover flights (Ryanair and they most definitely are non-refundable).  In the eventuality of a cancelled cruise I would first need to speak to RC to see what they offer in terms of refund and then call the insurers and they would make up the difference minus my excess.

Exactly this - it's about the insurance one bought to protect against the unexpected!  So glad yours is a good one - who did you use, I'd like to keep them in mind for future trips!

7 hours ago, Jax129 said:

If I had non refundable airfare I would fly in & do a land vacation. Since I live & work in Cocoa Beach I was hearing stories yesterday about peoples canceled cruise & I do feel bad for the wedding party that was supposed to get married on the Oasis. 

I feel for anyone who also is having wedding plans screwed up BUT if they get creative it will be a great story one day I'm sure 🙂  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Let's see what we get once we have all the $ back + FCC ...as of now we have not gotten anything but have to pay for new flights etc. so we can go on vacation instead of being stuck home....🙄

I've heard of others already on this weekend's cruise getting funds back so I expect you'll see these quickly, I expect they're working as promptly as they're able!

6 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I've heard of others already on this weekend's cruise getting funds back so I expect you'll see these quickly, I expect they're working as promptly as they're able!

I realize it will take them a few days... totally understand that!

But having to shell out another 5K without any notice to save the vacation ... puts a little bit of stress on the budget.... 😁

2 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I realize it will take them a few days... totally understand that!

But having to shell out another 5K without any notice to save the vacation ... puts a little bit of stress on the budget.... 😁

Absolutely, I couldn't pull the trigger on that without more assurances either!  Fingers crossed your sailing's refunds are up next 🙂

3 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Absolutely, I couldn't pull the trigger on that without more assurances either!  Fingers crossed your sailing's refunds are up next 🙂

I just hope we really get the actual 200 % cruisefare +$400 each from the flights.... that would really ease the pain! 😥

Still sad we had to change the plans... but we sure made lemonade 🍋 or maybe even champagne 🥂 if all works out well! 🤘

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I just hope we really get the actual 200 % cruisefare +$400 each from the flights.... that would really ease the pain! 😥

Still sad we had to change the plans... but we sure made lemonade 🍋 or maybe even champagne 🥂 if all works out well! 🤘

Absolutely!  Someone posted a great resource on how the FCC should work, Twangster did this on another thread, so quoting them:

Couple points about the FCC.

1. it can be used to pay the cruise fare portion of another reservation but not the taxes and fees portion.  Taxes and fees have to be paid normally.

2. If a new cruise booking is less than the FCC amount, the remaining FCC balance can be applied to another cruise.

3.  You can apply the FCC towards existing bookings.  You don't have to make a "new" booking.  

4. A booking can only have one FCC applied to it.  It you have a booking and applied a previous FCC to that booking, you can't apply this FCC to that booking as well.  

5.  If you apply this FCC to a future booking and it pays for the cruise in full, then later there is a price drop, they will issue the price drop refund as more FCC.

6.  Keep detailed notes about the FCC, which booking it applied to, future upgrades or price drops, etc.  Six months from now you may not remember any of this.

Lastly if you ask 10 different employees about the FCC rules, you'll get 20 different answers.  If you don't like the answer, try again.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Absolutely!  Someone posted a great resource on how the FCC should work, Twangster did this on another thread, so quoting them:

Couple points about the FCC.

1. it can be used to pay the cruise fare portion of another reservation but not the taxes and fees portion.  Taxes and fees have to be paid normally.

2. If a new cruise booking is less than the FCC amount, the remaining FCC balance can be applied to another cruise.

3.  You can apply the FCC towards existing bookings.  You don't have to make a "new" booking.  

4. A booking can only have one FCC applied to it.  It you have a booking and applied a previous FCC to that booking, you can't apply this FCC to that booking as well.  

5.  If you apply this FCC to a future booking and it pays for the cruise in full, then later there is a price drop, they will issue the price drop refund as more FCC.

6.  Keep detailed notes about the FCC, which booking it applied to, future upgrades or price drops, etc.  Six months from now you may not remember any of this.

Lastly if you ask 10 different employees about the FCC rules, you'll get 20 different answers.  If you don't like the answer, try again.

Thank you so much for posting this! 👍 🙏

41 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Exactly this - it's about the insurance one bought to protect against the unexpected!  So glad yours is a good one - who did you use, I'd like to keep them in mind for future trips!

Legal & General in the UK but I think they are worldwide.  Bear in mind though - I've not actually had to claim anything yet so I don't know if they are good or not - hopefully, I will never find out!  I actually picked them because I needed good cover for a pre-existing medical condition and didn't overly concentrate on the 'what if the ship has an accident' side of things. 

I have a Plan B and a Plan C so all is not lost just yet.  I'm a serial planner and it's the not knowing that is killing me!  

Can somebody please explain the 'Cats' thing?  Or shouldn't I ask 🙀

Edited by livylotte

11 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Travel insurance will not work in this situation and most people are stuck with expensive non-refundable flights!

Giving $400 for the flights is a bad joke!👎🖕

Why not? Not Royals unless you booked air with them but certainly most 3rd party

30 minutes ago, livylotte said:

Legal & General in the UK but I think they are worldwide.  Bear in mind though - I've not actually had to claim anything yet so I don't know if they are good or not - hopefully, I will never find out!  I actually picked them because I needed good cover for a pre-existing medical condition and didn't overly concentrate on the 'what if the ship has an accident' side of things. 

I have a Plan B and a Plan C so all is not lost just yet.  I'm a serial planner and it's the not knowing that is killing me!  

Can somebody please explain the 'Cats' thing?  Or shouldn't I ask 🙀

Thank you for sharing!

You’re braver than I am asking about cats!

37 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Gee, why not all money refunded and 100% cruise credit for hurricane cancellations?

"act of god" vs. a decision Royal made causing the cruise to be cancelled

(and by decision Royal made I mean they chose where to send the ship to get worked on)