We are cruising in June and I am totally overwhelmed with the planning!  We will be in port in Valletta from 8 to 5.  We would like to this stop to be a more easy going type of day after a few days of site seeing - are there any nice beaches that are easy to get to?  There will be 6 of us including 2 teens and 2  21yr olds.

Just have a nice wander around Valletta, have a nice coffee, ice cream or nosh at a side walk cafe.  There are several around the Cathedral.   Malta's beaches are not easy to get to, I was there for a week and we didn't go to a beach at all.  There was swimming along the rocks near our hotel but nothing I would consider for youngsters.

Thanks for the suggestions!  My daughter has her heart set on a beach that day but we may end up going to see the Blue Grotto and having lunch in that area.  I have read conflicting reports of being able to take a dip in the water near where the boats are, so we will see.  Now trying to decide on the best way to get there.  We like to use public transportation when we can as we enjoy chatting but I am not quite sure how to get to the Valletta bus terminal from the cruise port.  If we don’t do the bus, I wonder if they have taxis at the port that will fit 6 and if they are reasonably priced?

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful not to put alot of effort into a disappointing day.  Malta is not much of a beach destination.  

Malta has a fascinating history...including its role in the Second World War.  Valletta is a lovely town to walk and the Cathedral and Fort are outstanding and easy to get to.

I know that's not what you're looking for....but that's what's there.

Good luck doing something everyone enjoys, and I hope you have a great day on your visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Malta, and in my opinion, you would miss out on a fabulous city if you used it as a beach stop.  But I certainly get it with teenagers.  If they are into Game of Thrones, the ancient city of Mdina was the filming location for Kings Landing in Season 1 before it moved to Dubrovnik.  Maybe go there on way to beach??

Here is the photo blog from our day stop in Malta - Malta - Mdina and Valletta tour.  This may help you decide.  Good luck