Good points of P&O

emam

13 minutes ago, eddie11 said:

At least two fish dishes each evening, in addition to ‘always available’ salmon.

https://carnivaluk.metafaq.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/PO_MDR_DinnerMenus.pdf

Thank you so much for posting these menus. We are taking our first P and O cruise next month and I had been disheartened by the general air of discontent on the P and O cc site, but this thread, with such positive comments, has made me excited again. If the food follows these menus, we will find it hard to choose. 

11 minutes ago, travelholics said:

Thank you so much for posting these menus. We are taking our first P and O cruise next month and I had been disheartened by the general air of discontent on the P and O cc site, but this thread, with such positive comments, has made me excited again. If the food follows these menus, we will find it hard to choose. 

This is a good thread because everyone is posting positives.

Usually it is people with complaints who post the most.

P&O have negatives but the positives  far outweigh the negatives.

• Like 4

Whilst many threads tend to go 'off topic', this one is turning into a bit of a Q&A session on menu questions, which isn't it's purpose. Perhaps a new thread should be started on that topic if there is interest?

Anyhow, in an attempt to bring it back on topic, one other thing that I like about P&O (that I didn't mention in my previous list) is their maintenance team and their efforts to 'fix' problems rapidly.

We always seem to have one or two niggling maintenance issues in our cabin (such as the toilet flushing multiple times when you press it once or balcony door seals having failed causing loud wind noise) and these things are almost always fixed on the same day that we report them to our steward. In fact, they are so good at fixing problems I often wonder why so many other guests tolerate these issues throughout their cruises and leave it to us to get sorted!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Whilst many threads tend to go 'off topic', this one is turning into a bit of a Q&A session on menu questions, which isn't it's purpose. Perhaps a new thread should be started on that topic if there is interest?

Anyhow, in an attempt to bring it back on topic, one other thing that I like about P&O (that I didn't mention in my previous list) is their maintenance team and their efforts to 'fix' problems rapidly.

We always seem to have one or two niggling maintenance issues in our cabin (such as the toilet flushing multiple times when you press it once or balcony door seals having failed causing loud wind noise) and these things are almost always fixed on the same day that we report them to our steward. In fact, they are so good at fixing problems I often wonder why so many other guests tolerate these issues throughout their cruises and leave it to us to get sorted!

I’m with you, up to a point.

But having very recently had to accept several days without the advertised TV channels (entire ship), a shower that wouldn’t drain, and an unreliable supply of hot water, along with an epilepsy inducing flickering bathroom light, maybe my view’s a bit affected by all that - and this was in a suite.

They do what they can, but sometimes, as here, the problem’s too great for a repair person.

1 hour ago, docco said:

But having very recently had to accept several days without the advertised TV channels (entire ship), a shower that wouldn’t drain, and an unreliable supply of hot water, along with an epilepsy inducing flickering bathroom light, maybe my view’s a bit affected by all that - and this was in a suite.

They do what they can, but sometimes, as here, the problem’s too great for a repair person.

Looks like this is off topic. Again.

1 hour ago, docco said:

docco why don’t you start a thread up with your complaints and leave this thread for the purpose It was created for.

Edited by Bazrat
Spelling
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

docco why don’t you start a thread up with your complaints and leave this thread for the purpose It was created for.

Presumably having cancelled all his upcoming P&O cruises, this P&O part of the site will soon become a docco free zone. After all docco has previously stated that without problems he has encountered, P&O is tolerable. Is being tolerable a good point about P&O? (to get back on topic).

Edited by pete14
Missing word
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Are you suggesting, then, that I should set up an equivalent thread entitled 'Bad Points of P&O' and try to restrict genuine discussion by adding 'PLEASE  do not post positive points on this thread.'?

I could, of course, do just that - but I think I can guess the reaction from the P&O fanboys.........🙂

14 minutes ago, docco said:

Are you suggesting, then, that I should set up an equivalent thread entitled 'Bad Points of P&O' and try to restrict genuine discussion by adding 'PLEASE  do not post positive points on this thread.'?

I could, of course, do just that - but I think I can guess the reaction from the P&O fanboys.........🙂

You could start a thread and see what replies you get.

I might be pro P&O but I have expressed support to your genuine concerns on Azura in post #55

Edited by grapau27

13 minutes ago, docco said:

Please stop.

• Like 2

We think P&O are fabulous but, I do feel the P&O brand is now split into 2.

You have the traditional cruising in the smaller ships. Oriana (gutted they sold her), Arcadia etc  and the traditional cruisers are not likely to see negatives in those ships. 

On the other side there are the bigger family ships......Brittania etc.  And those who enjoy bigger ships are not likely to see the negatives in those ships.

But the two different groups will see negatives in the other group.........I can list negative for Brittania etc because they dont suit me.

I think P&O has great traditional cruising.....until they get rid of the smaller ships. 

We can sail from the UK to Caribbean and back without flying.

Prices are reasonable.....but expensive enough to keep the lager louts off  the smaller ships.

NO Gratuities from May

Very reasonable drinks prices

Lovely staff

Lovely guests

Always deal with problems well

Good entertainment program. (Quizzes, games, events, shows, talks, activities, etc)

Ok Food (no extra charge for steak)

Adult only ships.

+ More but cant think right now  

Sure, there are negatives but there is always a flip side to most things......but they are minor.

All in all, I think P&O are great for cruisers who want the traditional feel......on some of their ships.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 7:24 PM, Narrow boat girl said:

Thank you everyone for all these great comments we booked our cruise quite a while ago, after completing some research and thought we had made the right decision for us. Shortly after that there was quite a lot of negative comments on various forums.We thought we had made a really poor decision, but my faith has been restored..... Thank you only 4 weeks to go can't wait

It depends which ship and what your tastes are though.

P&O isnt just one type of cruise line anymore....they cater for traditional and the modern cruiser.

I personally would not want to sail on Brittania or Iona, for example.

To be honest we have sailed on all of P&O's current fleet including Britannia and we have no problems with any of them. We like them all for the reasons given in this thread and we are also very much looking forward to our Oceana cruise in June and our Iona cruise next year.😀

Edited by P-L-B

5 hours ago, docco said:

There is so  much negativity in all your comments - you will never see the good in anything if you only focus on the negatives

3 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

There is so  much negativity in all your comments - you will never see the good in anything if you only focus on the negatives

And yet P&O is the only travel company we’ve ever had issues with over many years of travelling both abroad and in the UK.

Prior to this particular cruise, and the one which P&O have messed up by changing Amsterdam to Ijmuiden, we were pretty content with them. We’d not have booked 4 more cruises otherwise.

Things really have changed for the worse now, compared even with three years ago, and it’s pointless sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending they haven’t.

And that’s why there are so many negative threads. There’d be a lot more here too if it weren’t being muzzled.

3 hours ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

We think P&O are fabulous but, I do feel the P&O brand is now split into 2.

You have the traditional cruising in the smaller ships. Oriana (gutted they sold her), Arcadia etc  and the traditional cruisers are not likely to see negatives in those ships. 

On the other side there are the bigger family ships......Brittania etc.  And those who enjoy bigger ships are not likely to see the negatives in those ships.

But the two different groups will see negatives in the other group.........I can list negative for Brittania etc because they dont suit me.

I think P&O has great traditional cruising.....until they get rid of the smaller ships. 

Totally agree with you.  I have several times suggested that P&O, whilst keeping the one company, market their ships under two 'brands' - P&O Classic & P&O Contemporary.  Once Oriana sadly leaves the fleet, Aurora, & probably Oceana) and Arcadia would be under Classic, the rest under Contemporary.  That would also help manage expectations when someone has sailed on say Ventura and then 'downsizes' to one of the smaller ships.

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Totally agree with you.  I have several times suggested that P&O, whilst keeping the one company, market their ships under two 'brands' - P&O Classic & P&O Contemporary.  Once Oriana sadly leaves the fleet, Aurora, & probably Oceana) and Arcadia would be under Classic, the rest under Contemporary.  That would also help manage expectations when someone has sailed on say Ventura and then 'downsizes' to one of the smaller ships.

Oriana previously now Aurora and Arcadia are adults only and classic P&O which already puts them in a different category to the family friendly larger ships 

40 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Fortunately, there are things we like on the smaller & larger ships.

Different holidays, but we adore Aurora and Brittania equally.

Andy

1 hour ago, docco said:

And that’s why there are so many negative threads. There’d be a lot more here too if it weren’t being muzzled.

Who or what is being muzzled? Quite a serious allegation once again. Please provide just one proven case of anybody or anything being ‘muzzled’ or withdraw the allegation together with an apology. You are constantly making allegations but have never yet given solid evidence for any of them. 

1 hour ago, docco said:

And yet P&O is the only travel company we’ve ever had issues with over many years of travelling both abroad and in the UK.

Prior to this particular cruise, and the one which P&O have messed up by changing Amsterdam to Ijmuiden, we were pretty content with them. We’d not have booked 4 more cruises otherwise.

Things really have changed for the worse now, compared even with three years ago, and it’s pointless sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending they haven’t.

I understand that you are disillusioned with P&O, I have also been in the past on occasions, especially with customer service related issues, but we have for various reasons decided to stick with them in the short term, mainly for economic reasons in the current climate with poor exchange rates etc. I have found though that focussing the the positive aspects of the cruise is far better than looking for negatives. Alas, I think for you that you are past that point with P&O and I think you have to accept that and move on. I don't think are going to get any agreement or sympathy on here. I have had rants on here in the past but quickly realised that there is little point as no one on here can resolve it for you. 

21 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Who or what is being muzzled? Quite a serious allegation once again. Please provide just one proven case of anybody or anything being ‘muzzled’ or withdraw the allegation together with an apology. You are constantly making allegations but have never yet given solid evidence for any of them. 

Post 1:  "PLEASE  do not post negative points on this thread."

Plus the suggestions that posting anything negative is off-topic.

Enough 'evidence' for you?  This thread, aimed at avoiding any negativity about P&O, just doesn't - and can't - represent the full picture.

As I've said, if anyone started a thread headed 'Bad Points of P&O' with the addition of the words "PLEASE  do not post negative points on this thread" it would pretty soon be under fire as unfair to P&O, and rightly so.

Forums like this are intended for open discussion, and despite the P&O fanboys (some of whom may well have connections with P&O - not an allegation, but an observation, before you start off again) it is not the near-perfect operation that some claim it to be.  It's not really the faults either (such as the ones I've mentioned above) - it's the failure to address them and the inability or refusal of their customer services people to address real issues.

1 minute ago, bee-ess said:

I understand that you are disillusioned with P&O, I have also been in the past on occasions, especially with customer service related issues, but we have for various reasons decided to stick with them in the short term, mainly for economic reasons in the current climate with poor exchange rates etc. I have found though that focussing the the positive aspects of the cruise is far better than looking for negatives. Alas, I think for you that you are past that point with P&O and I think you have to accept that and move on. I don't think are going to get any agreement or sympathy on here. I have had rants on here in the past but quickly realised that there is little point as no one on here can resolve it for you. 

I agree.

A couple of issues I rang P&O guest services about they immediately gave us £100 obc for our next cruise.

Our high loyalty perks on Royal Caribbean are excellent but we still do at least 1 P&O cruise a year and currently have 2 P&O cruises of 21. Nights duration to look forward to.

34 minutes ago, docco said:

Post 1:  "PLEASE  do not post negative points on this thread."

Plus the suggestions that posting anything negative is off-topic.

Enough 'evidence' for you?  This thread, aimed at avoiding any negativity about P&O, just doesn't - and can't - represent the full picture.

As I've said, if anyone started a thread headed 'Bad Points of P&O' with the addition of the words "PLEASE  do not post negative points on this thread" it would pretty soon be under fire as unfair to P&O, and rightly so.

Forums like this are intended for open discussion, and despite the P&O fanboys (some of whom may well have connections with P&O - not an allegation, but an observation, before you start off again) it is not the near-perfect operation that some claim it to be.  It's not really the faults either (such as the ones I've mentioned above) - it's the failure to address them and the inability or refusal of their customer services people to address real issues.

I cannot claim to be a fanboy or have any connection with p&o as I have yet to take a cruise,but I have noticed your need to be the centre of attention I have mentioned previously that you should seek compensation from p&o assuming you have a genuine complaint.

I have also mentioned previously that I was told to ignore this site because of people like yourself with an axe to grind against p&o and make my own judgement which we have done,we have now booked a third cruise for next year on Ventura because of the positive comments and watching some videos from obvious happy patrons of p&o.

Edited by Bazrat
Spelling