Unused CUC in Cuba

Jembeccatoo

We will be overnight in Cuba, but leaving too early to exchange money back to US and getting back from excursion after the money exchange closes. Is it acceptable to tip the cruise staff in CUC? Are there any other options for unused CUC?

6 minutes ago, thetaro said:

Considering the cost of a Visa, I doubt crews are getting off in Cuba to spend the CUC. 

You can tip your tour guide with CUC though.

Thanks, I didn’t consider the visa. 

54 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

My bank sold them to me and exchange what I did not use.

Everything that I have read or experienced makes me unable to believe that.  I suspect that you are either confused or making this up.  

• Like 2

If CUC isn't traded internationally, how would I go to my bank and get some?  😳 I would love to hear from someone who actually went there as to the hours when  we can get back unused money cab be converted back to dollars!  Thx

You cannot exchange your cuban currency anywhere outside of Cuba . You also cannot buy it at a  bank to use in Cuba before you travel. It has been this way for many years. Its best not to have too much so you don't get stuck with it like it looks like is going to happen to you. Maybe give it to some deserving soul just before you get back on the ship?

35 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

If CUC isn't traded internationally, how would I go to my bank and get some?  😳 I would love to hear from someone who actually went there as to the hours when  we can get back unused money cab be converted back to dollars!  Thx

Exchanging US$ in Cuba is not good as you get charged 13% (10% exchange fee and 3% bank fee).

British Pound Sterling and Euro are not pinned to the CUC and don't have the 10% exchange fee, if you have any at home use them, even if you don't already have GBP or Euro it would still pay to exchange into one of them first if you want to exchange any large amount.

Edited by ziggyuk

14 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

I just plan on getting a souvenir or 2, so I just need to know the hours in Havana, from anyone who’s cruises there. The Sky will be docked 8-6am

8AM - 6PM according to this which is very recent:

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2648835-cadeca-hours-at-the-port/

Edited by ziggyuk

8 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

Thx! Guess I will exchange in the am and perhaps just carry a few Cuban money at night.  Just wondering if I need it in case I need a restroom? 

You should check with your bank, a lot of US credit and debit cards are still not accepted in Cuba.

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

You should check with your bank, a lot of US credit and debit cards are still not accepted in Cuba.

I know we cant use our CC cards, thats why I was asking about not converting all my cuc's, in case its needed for restroom tips. thx

2 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

I know we cant use our CC cards, thats why I was asking about not converting all my cuc's, in case its needed for restroom tips. thx

Do you know what...... I'm an idiot!

I read "Thx! Guess I will exchange in the am" as "Thx! Guess I will exchange in the atm"

So sorry, you must have wondered what the hell I was talking about 😂

You can exchange back to US without penalty at the terminal.   You can exchange to CAD or EURO to try to avoid the 10% fee, but we found that the exchange rate to convert to CAD or EURO here in the states wasn't worth it.   

The exchange rate for CUCs is 1 to 1 USD.   But there is the 13% penalty.  So if you convert $100 you'll get 87 CUC.

Everyone gives you the exact same rate, the terminal, banks, exchange houses, and individuals.

Most individuals in Cuba will take USD...they will just charge you the same 13%.  So if something is $25.00 CUC, you can pay with 29.00 USD.  Organizations (like the crocodile farm we stopped at) cannot take USD.

Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, thetaro said:

Considering the cost of a Visa, I doubt crews are getting off in Cuba to spend the CUC. 

You can tip your tour guide with CUC though.

Going to Cuba on the Sky next week.  We were there for 2 days in 2017.  Don't plan on getting off ship but still had to pay for visa. Doesn't seem right,  when some attorney going to test this.  Was there several years ago on my private boat and never paid for a visa.

13 minutes ago, stormynow said:

Going to Cuba on the Sky next week.  We were there for 2 days in 2017.  Don't plan on getting off ship but still had to pay for visa. Doesn't seem right,  when some attorney going to test this.  Was there several years ago on my private boat and never paid for a visa.

Not sure about NCL. With MSC, you can return the visa to the front desk for a full refund. 

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Do you know what...... I'm an idiot!

I read "Thx! Guess I will exchange in the am" as "Thx! Guess I will exchange in the atm"

So sorry, you must have wondered what the hell I was talking about 😂

Not to worry! 

11 hours ago, Jembeccatoo said:

We will be overnight in Cuba, but leaving too early to exchange money back to US and getting back from excursion after the money exchange closes. Is it acceptable to tip the cruise staff in CUC? Are there any other options for unused CUC?

When are you going to Cuba?