Has anyone been charged $10 for an additional entree AFTER March 31st?

cruzin4us

This isn't meant to be a debate thread on whether or not HAL should or should not be charging $10 for an additional entree.  

What I'm looking to find out is if anyone has been charged the $10 AFTER March 31st?   The trial was supposed to end that day, but I've not heard if this is the case.   

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

I see you are following the LIVE thread on the Eurodam.

If you look at seamist’s most recent menu - there is no $10 surcharge on it.

No,  I didn't see it.   I'll go check it out.    Thanks!

I just called Ship Services (because I had nothing better to do) and asked.  My response was this:

ME:  Just curious if the $10 for an additional entree in the MDR is still in effect because the trial was supposed to be ending March 31st.

HAL:   Well, I'm not sure.....let me go find out for you.

ME:   Thank you

HAL:  The trial has officially ended as of March 31st and there is no longer a charge for an additional entree in the MDR.

ME:  Thank you!

While I realize you can get 3 different responses from 3 different people, I just thought I'd pass on the info.   May call later and see what kind of answer I get.   

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I just called Ship Services (because I had nothing better to do) and asked.  My response was this:

ME:  Just curious if the $10 for an additional entree in the MDR is still in effect because the trial was supposed to be ending March 31st.

HAL:  The trial has officially ended as of March 31st and there is no longer a charge for an additional entree in the MDR.

While I realize you can get 3 different responses from 3 different people, I just thought I'd pass on the info.   May call later and see what kind of answer I get.   

That's great news! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

Those that feel strongly against the surcharge and have the time should call and barrage HAL with their inquiry and ALSO voice their opinion AGAINST the $10 nonsense. Those that are for it...well....(LOL...I'll stop right here)...

I am on the Nieuw Amsterdam now and the $10 surcharge is gone.   I spoke with some of the staff and then said it made a huge difference on people not ordering multiple entrees.   Apparently on shorter cruises, more people want to "try everything" and this is more frequent than on longer cruises.  

On 4/3/2019 at 10:04 AM, kazu said:

If you look at seamist’s most recent menu - there is no $10 surcharge on it.

I just took a quick look at the menus for the last 2 nights of the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise.  The $10 charge statement WAS on them.  That would be Apr 4 & 5.

EDIT:  I looked back at some of the menus she posted, and the page that she was posting was the page that changed every day.  The statement about the $10 charge was at the bottom of the page with the everyday offerings.

Edited by Shmoo here

We were on the Eurodam for the 28 days from March 9 to April 6.  The fine print notice of the $10 charge was on every menu, buried in the fine print along with the warnings about 18% corkage fees and 15% service charges.   However, it was not enforced.   The food and beverage manager said he would only ask for enforcement on nights with lobster tails.   Otherwise, he said they have plenty of steaks, chops, chicken and there's no problem with people asking for a 2nd entree.  However, he did say he would appreciate anyone who orders a 2nd entree to actually eat it and not order it to take pictures of it. 

The $10 upcharge was still there after March 31, all the way back to San Diego.