Navigator App

ScottC4746

I just downloaded the Holland America Navigator App but it will not let me log in with my HAL Credentials.  This leaves me with a few questions:

1. Did I download a scam?

2. What is the app?

3. What do I do with the app.

4. Anything else you can tell me.

IIRC whenever I've used Navigator on a ship, my user ID consisted of my name and cabin number.  I don't know what you can do with Navigator if not on a ship, as most if not all of its functions have to do with activities on board.

Edit: I just installed the app out of curiosity. The description says "Take command of your cruise experience, when on board, with our free mobile application. Plan your daily activities, view restaurant menus and make reservations; check your account balance and more.

Even before you board you can review all the services available to guests and check out an interactive fleet map to see the destinations where our ships sail.

Once on board, connect to the ship's wi-fi ..... " etc

From that I'd say it's not very useful until you're on board!

Edited by catl331

21 minutes ago, catl331 said:

IIRC whenever I've used Navigator on a ship, my user ID consisted of my name and cabin number.  I don't know what you can do with Navigator if not on a ship, as most if not all of its functions have to do with activities on board.

From that I'd say it's not very useful until you're on board!

I love it when I board and login on my phone and it pops up with the user id and login from my last two or three cruises as options for logging in.

And yes, my husband downloaded the app and agreed it's not very useful until you're on board.

I just went on HAL's website and looks like a clever way to get you to sign up for onboard wifi.

Holland America Line Navigator

Additional cost
INCLUDED
Category
ACTIVITY

Personalize your cruise experience once you’re on the ship with our free mobile-friendly tool. Plan your daily activities, browse and purchase shore excursions, view restaurant menus, make dining reservations, check your account balance and more. 

mic.png Happening Onboard chat.png Chat
Get the latest on events and activities Keep in touch with traveling companions, connect with new friends and more while on board.

activities.svg Shore Excursions internet.png Connect to Paid Internet
Book your shore excursions easily and conveniently. Navigator is your portal to buy and use internet plans.

dining.svg Dining calendar.svg My Itinerary
Make reservations at any of the ship's specialty restaurants. Stay on top of your activities, including your booked shore excursions, dining reservations and more.

bill.png My Account camera.png View & Buy Photos
View account details, including your onbard statement. Review, purchase, and share your cruise photos. (Available on select ships).
spa.svg Spa & Salon    
View our extensive menu of spa treatments and services.  

4 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

Ah, sorry just me putting the cart before the horse again.

No!! Now you are all prepared and ready to go! One thing you can check off the "to do" list!

And no, it doesn't cost anything to use the app on board but it does provide a gateway to sign up for the paid internet access. And apparently you can now pre-purchase internet before boarding (which doesn't do us any good as we have an internet credit for the next cruise).

Edited by oceanmom
  • Like 2

While onboard Jan-Mar this year the app daily schedule didn’t always match the When and Where - especially for happy hours, but also some activities.  The app was handy to have and the chat in the app was very useful - hope that replaces any walker talkies still being used onboard.  

32 minutes ago, ScottC4746 said:

I just went on HAL's website and looks like a clever way to get you to sign up for onboard wifi.

Yes, you have to register to use it on board, but all functions except "Connect to paid internet" are free.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

Along the same question.....Do you use the HAL Navigator app or the Ship Mate app?   

Our main goal is to text each other and look at our account balances and itinerary.   Do these apps both do the same thing?

1 hour ago, ScottC4746 said:

I just downloaded the Holland America Navigator App but it will not let me log in with my HAL Credentials.  This leaves me with a few questions:

1. Did I download a scam?

2. What is the app?

3. What do I do with the app.

4. Anything else you can tell me.

From where did you download it? Navigator is not an app. It's an intranet site that runs on any browser when you are connected to the ship's wifi. 

1 hour ago, oceanmom said:

And apparently you can now pre-purchase internet before boarding.

I have been trying to get the pre-purchased Internet before my cruise on Sunday but I’ve not been able to find it on the website. Does anybody know where it’s at? I’ll be traveling on the Nieuw Amsterdam out of San Diego.

thanks 

OK, disregard my previous post. Apparently there is an actual app that you can download now - as of late February 2019. I'd still recommend saving space on your device, because your standard web browser will be fine. 

Just now, magictam said:

I have been trying to get the pre-purchased Internet before my cruise on Sunday but I’ve not been able to find it on the website. Does anybody know where it’s at? I’ll be traveling on the Nieuw Amsterdam out of San Diego.

thanks 

Only for the long voyages. For regular cruises, you buy onboard. I needed to pay for my internet with my business credit card, so I just bought OBC to cover the cost before leaving home. 

• Like 1

Sitting in Basterre, St Kitts using the onboard wifi. It is good enough for browsing and we have used it numerous times to E.T. (phone home! 😉). Using Wifi calling on my device and Whatsapp calls on DW's device. Quality was good with no dropping.

I downloaded the app b4 leaving home and DW is using chrome browser.

Either method works fine, perhaps the edge (sorry!) to the pre installed app as it is easy to place it on home screen and tap it rather than opening browser and selecting the page. Personal choice.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:19 PM, POA1 said:

OK, disregard my previous post. Apparently there is an actual app that you can download now - as of late February 2019. I'd still recommend saving space on your device, because your standard web browser will be fine. 

I hope that this new app can do one thing that the browser- based technique cannot do. Namely, place reminders and appointments directly into my iPhone system.  

If the app cannot do that, I prefer to stay with the browser access. Will test it this July on Maasdam.

Edited by Cruise4food

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that what HAL has on their web site sounds different from my recollection of how it worked when we were out last June. It does suggest that there is an actual downloadable app - which is not how it worked previously. It also sounded as if there was functionality that didn't require you to be onboard but maybe what they've posted is their long-term plan and not the current reality.

27 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

It does suggest that there is an actual downloadable app - which is not how it worked previously.

Correct. The app was just released mid Feb IIRC.

Edited by catl331

On 4/5/2019 at 5:15 PM, Cruise4food said:

I hope that this new app can do one thing that the browser- based technique cannot do. Namely, place reminders and appointments directly into my iPhone system.  

If the app cannot do that, I prefer to stay with the browser access. Will test it this July on Maasdam.

Well, the App showed a message if I had made a dinner reservation (Pinnacle etc), unfortunately it was 24 hours late showing up!:classic_huh: I did speak with the Internet Manager onboard and showed him what was happening and suggested that he look at his system time.  He looked back at me as if I was a silly student annoying the professor!  Needless to say,  he didn't fix it! :classic_wacko:

On 4/3/2019 at 8:57 PM, cruzin4us said:

Along the same question.....Do you use the HAL Navigator app or the Ship Mate app?   

Our main goal is to text each other and look at our account balances and itinerary.   Do these apps both do the same thing?

Yes is the answer to your questions about: balance, itinerary, sending text. Works fine. At least: the browser version on board (m.s. Koningsdam., Rotterdam and Maasdam...).

Edited by MAVIP
not the app but the browser....

On 5/4/2019 at 10:38 AM, VMax1700 said:

Well, the App showed a message if I had made a dinner reservation (Pinnacle etc), unfortunately it was 24 hours late showing up!:classic_huh: I did speak with the Internet Manager onboard and showed him what was happening and suggested that he look at his system time.  He looked back at me as if I was a silly student annoying the professor!  Needless to say,  he didn't fix it! :classic_wacko:

I did not use the app but overheard another passenger say that the Daily Schedule on the app did not match the printed version.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:43 PM, catl331 said:

Correct. The app was just released mid Feb IIRC.

On board m.s. Maasdam in February/March we heard "not a word" about any app.