Capacity of the Lawn Club Grille?

DrKoob

Good day fellow X cruisers!

On our roll call someone suggested (way back when it was a very small roll call) that we should all do an evening in the Lawn Club Grille (LCG) together when we sail on Reflection in June. My thought at the time was to be able to walk up to the maitre'd and ask him what kind of deal we could get if we had a party of 20 or so. I've done this before with groups of 16 in Qsine and it works pretty well. Usually we get 20-40% off. 

Now that we are closer to the cruise there are more than 50 people :classic_ohmy: who want to join us. I will be honest, I am not sure about the capacity of the LCG. That may exceed it. And even if I go on the day we board to reserve, there may not be a night when there are that many empty seats. I should mention that this is a cold-weather cruise (to Iceland) so there should be some nights where the attendance is fairly low. We have done the LCG out of Belfast on Silhouette before and had the whole place to ourselves. 

So my question is, does anyone know the capacity of the Lawn Club Grille?

Jim 

Do not know capacity..

best we could get for our roll call group on Reflection was a big table of 10. We all had sep res for the same time and then someone went a day ahead to ask for the bigger table.,.the maitre d back then was not very nice and gave us the worst waiter who screwed up sev orders. We had a nice time...but some meals had to be sent back, those affected got comped and vouchers to return..

Others in our sailing had  already booked res so they could not squeeze in any more of us so some had later res..

Good luck..hope it all works out. Maybe you can contact specialty dining res dept ahead to make a group dinner plan ahead of time,.

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Maybe you can contact specialty dining res dept ahead to make a group dinner plan ahead of time,.

I would love to do that but when I did it on October for our Summit cruise they refused us any discount and wanted all the stateroom numbers of everyone who was in the party (we only had 14 then) and then I had to get credit card numbers for all of them. It was a nightmare. I would rather just take our chances. I think our prospects really improve because it is a cold weather cruise. Not a lot of people willing to sit outside when it's cold and rainy. 

I can't even imagine trying to get credit card numbers, staterooms and even real (non-Cruise Critic) names, addresses, etc. that you need to bill credit cards. Plus if even one of the people is from another country, they tell you that they can't mix currencies. 

Thanks so much for the response. 

Jim

PS: We don't need a big table. We just need the whole darn place. :classic_biggrin:

13 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

I should mention that this is a cold-weather cruise (to Iceland) so there should be some nights where the attendance is fairly low. We have done the LCG out of Belfast on Silhouette before and had the whole place to ourselves. 

Jim -- my wife and I love the LCG so much that we even ate there during our cold weather North Atlantic crossing on the Silhouette from Southampton last November.  It was a cold and windy evening, and we needed to be bundled up in the blankets they give you.  Needless to say, we did have the place to ourselves.  And it wasn't the most pleasant of meals because of the cold wind. I hope you have a better experience!   [It was much better later in our cruise. But also more crowded.]

50 will be close to capacity, as Claude has pointed out.

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Jim -- my wife and I love the LCG so much that we even ate there during our cold weather North Atlantic crossing on the Silhouette from Southampton last November.  It was a cold and windy evening, and we needed to be bundled up in the blankets they give you.  Needless to say, we did have the place to ourselves.  And it wasn't the most pleasant of meals because of the cold wind. I hope you have a better experience!   [It was much better later in our cruise. But also more crowded.]

50 will be close to capacity, as Claude has pointed out.

We loved it the one time on Silhouette we got to try it. Not as much for the food as for the fun. Our party of nine had the place to ourselves that cloudy, cool night out of Belfast and we (all the folks who do the cooking at home) made those that don't do the cooking at home...make the pizzas. Worked out great and we have some truly fond memories.

Jim

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I would love to do that but when I did it on October for our Summit cruise they refused us any discount and wanted all the stateroom numbers of everyone who was in the party (we only had 14 then) and then I had to get credit card numbers for all of them. It was a nightmare. I would rather just take our chances. I think our prospects really improve because it is a cold weather cruise. Not a lot of people willing to sit outside when it's cold and rainy. 

I can't even imagine trying to get credit card numbers, staterooms and even real (non-Cruise Critic) names, addresses, etc. that you need to bill credit cards. Plus if even one of the people is from another country, they tell you that they can't mix currencies. 

Jim

PS: We don't need a big table. We just need the whole darn place. :classic_biggrin:

Fun to see your post. You’re at again getting people together as you did for The Silhouetters group 2017.  I hope those people know how lucky they are.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

Fun to see your post. You’re at again getting people together as you did for The Silhouetters group 2017.  I hope those people know how lucky they are.

Thanks Wilma! You know me, I just have to organize. Hope you and Gary are doing well. 

Jim

Thanks Wilma! You know me, I just have to organize. Hope you and Gary are doing well. 

Jim

Jim

We are doing very well. We are getting ready for our first Alaska cruise on the Eclipse Next month. Happy cruising!

18 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

We are doing very well. We are getting ready for our first Alaska cruise on the Eclipse Next month. Happy cruising!

Super! You will love sailing north out of Vancouver. It's the only way to go. 

Jim,

We were on the Reflection in December and tried the LCG twice.  Both times the food was excellent although we felt the salad bar needed improvement.  Main concern would be if they could handle 50 people arriving at the same time.  We dined early and late. Did not see the restaurant at capacity either time but we had trouble getting reservations for specific times.  Sorry we will not be joining everyone on this trip.  

MJ

On 4/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, DrKoob said:

Jim

I wonder why they wanted CC numbers when the reservations are charged to the account/stateroom...not a separate card

2 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

I wonder why they wanted CC numbers when the reservations are charged to the account/stateroom...not a separate card

If you want to buy a dinner at a specialty restaurant in advance for yourself, you can charge it to your stateroom. If you want to buy one for someone else, (I was doing 14 reservations at the same time) then either I had to pay for all of them myself with my credit card (not going to happen :classic_biggrin:) or I had to have their credit cards. I could not just tell them to charge them to their staterooms. If they let you do that, then anyone could call up and say that and they could be stuck with an empty restaurant and mad guests who never booked anything.

And each person couldn't just make a reservation because there we might have all been at seven tables for two. To get the one table that would seat 14 in Qsine on Summit, one of us had to take care of it. As the travel professional, it fell to me.

1 minute ago, K8mema said:

Heads up, another cabin change.

Zutells are now in cabin # 1265

Did you mean to post this on a roll call? Maybe our Reflection roll call that's here: 

Jim

We enjoyed The Lawn on the Reflection, but not sure one can assume that because the place can seat at least 50, they can handle that kind of crowd.  When we have dined at that venue it has always been a situation where there were only a small number of diners...and they sure did not arrive at the same time.  I believe there was a single chef/cook and 2 or 3 waiters.  For a group of 50 they would certainly have to make some kind of alternative arrangements for their staffing and with all the cut-backs we have seen on the line we wonder if they couple pull it off with a high degree of success.   It is hard to imagine that venue preparing 50 steaks and starter pizzas at the same time, but it never hurts to ask.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the thought Hank. When we have done large groups before we plan on never being in a hurry. Since I will be the one to approach the maitre'd, I am sure he can figure it out. We can stagger in at different times or all get there at once but take turns at salad bar/flatbreads/steaks. As long as no one is in a rush to get to a show, we should be fine.

On 4/3/2019 at 10:28 PM, realnice46 said:

Yes, we are very lucky!  Really looking fwd to our night at LCG. 

Marie

The Lawn Club is limited by the size of the grill.   The chef (single) can only Grill so much meat at a time.   People get very frustrated and angry waiting for main courses so they limit the seating.    My husband and I only went for Pizza and beer so they allowed us in even when they were full!

For a group of anywhere near 50 people, Celebrity would need to close for other people not in the group IMO. I am not sure that I have ever seen 50 people dining there at one time.  

If not busy, they could certainly reserve the complete LG for a private group.