Catching flight at Orlando airport

If you are first in the self-assist line, you could get off the ship around 45 minutes after arrival.  If you have private transport and can get off the ship at least 3 hours before your flight, you should be fine.

back plan it, then tell us.

Flight at 10:30

Gate closes at 10:20

10 minutes to walk to gate from TSA makes it 10:10

How long to get thru TSA?? Do you have Pre-Check? Illinois/Southern Illinois flying out of STL? Northern Illinois flying out of ORD? We have no idea what airline your flying on or if you have checked luggage. Lets go worst case scenario

30 minutes to clear TSA. That makes it 9:50

How long to check in and check luggage? Let's make it 30 minutes. That makes it 9:20

Drive to Orlando (MCO) from Port Canaveral 45 min to 1 hr. That makes it 8:20 you have to have luggage in car and butts in seat.

Still have to clear Customs and Immigrations.

What is you backup plan if it all goes TU?

You are not flying home that day. All seats are filled. You might get home the next day. 

Now,,,, if you have elite status, have Global Entry, have TSA Pre-Check, are flying First Class,,,, these things will speed things up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Linecas2 said:

TSA in Orlando is why I purchased TSA precheck. You can be there for hours

Agree with you. Not only do you have the cruise ships, you also have theme park families. Most of them only fly once or twice a year. 

I wouldn’t book a flight before noon. 

• Like 1

I second, third, and forth anything anybody has said about TSA at Orlando airport... actually, no,  it isn't the TSA... they are doing the best they can... the problem is the people... the strollers... the mouse ears... and the children... the sea of children... even the First Class/Premium Cabin isn't immune to having a tiny passenger screaming in the seat next to you or kicking your extra wide chair... they are everywhere... Like someone else said, MCO (Orlando airport) is the sole reason I purchased TSA Precheck membership... and then those lines got long too... MCO is, on a good day, a cluster... Clear Memership helps... but even that will start getting busy once people find out about it... May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor. 

Edited by bradenj21

About 11:15 is the earliest we will book out of Orlando, and that's only because we can use the priority line to check our luggage. Saturday mornings can be brutal at MCO due to cruise ship passengers and theme park guests. The last time we flew out of MCO after our cruise, the line for regular check-in was at least 200 - 300 people deep. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradenj21 said:

I second, third, and forth anything anybody has said about TSA at Orlando airport... actually, no,  it isn't the TSA... they are doing the best they can... the problem is the people... the strollers... the mouse ears... and the children... the sea of children... even the First Class/Premium Cabin isn't immune to having a tiny passenger screaming in the seat next to you or kicking your extra wide chair... they are everywhere... Like someone else said, MCO (Orlando airport) is the sole reason I purchased TSA Precheck membership... and then those lines got long too... MCO is, on a good day, a cluster... Clear Memership helps... but even that will start getting busy once people find out about it... May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor. 

I always fly out of Orlando. I bought Clear on day 1.🤑

14 hours ago, Jmeyers said:

We will be on Harmony in March of 2020. What time is the earliest we can get off the ship to catch a flight? Would we be able to make a 10:30 flight?

Curious to see what you decide.

I was a 29 year airline pilot and flew in and out of Orlando many many times.  I personally wouldn't do it because of the reasons regarding security mentioned above.  Also, I think it's more than a "10 minute walk from TSA to the gate."   After TSA you catch a train to the terminal. That can be a delay or not, depending on timing and crowds. Then after arriving at the terminal, you could have some distance to the gate.  So IMHO, 10 minutes is very fast. 

Honestly, why stress out the last night of a cruise?  

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SRQbeachgirl said:

About 11:15 is the earliest we will book out of Orlando, and that's only because we can use the priority line to check our luggage. Saturday mornings can be brutal at MCO due to cruise ship passengers and theme park guests. The last time we flew out of MCO after our cruise, the line for regular check-in was at least 200 - 300 people deep. 

Harmony will be doing 7 day rotations Sunday's out of PC not Saturdays!

I would also recommend getting a one-way car rental.  Rates are very reasonable, easy drive to the Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area, easy drop off in the morning with complimentary shuttle to the port.  It's also nice to have a car for stops at restaurants, grocery store (for wine to bring onboard), etc.

Just now, voyager70 said:

I would also recommend getting a one-way car rental.  Rates are very reasonable, easy drive to the Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area, easy drop off in the morning with complimentary shuttle to the port.  It's also nice to have a car for stops at restaurants, grocery store (for wine to bring onboard), etc.

Whoops, posted on wrong thread, sorry.

I agree with all the users above.  The lines at MCO can be brutal.  The last time we were there TSA was a breeze but the Delta baggage drop off line was insane and no Sky Caps.  The time before that baggage drop off was quick but the line for TSA was crazy long.  Never know what you are going to get.

We've done it.  Caught a flight at about 10:30 to Punta Cana our of MCO from a ship at CC.  So it is doable.

We walked off ship.  Had a ride waiting (we had a little delay there with a slow driver finding us).  Had no customs delays.  Have TSA-Pre.

I don't remember how close we were (it has been at least 3 years)  but we were a little stressed during the ride to MCO.

I also think we had a medical delay upon leaving Nassau requiring the ship to hook up with a helicopter while at sea.  If that went real bad, I think we would have missed our flight.