Cruise Critic Community
beachhouse

Men’s Typical Evening Dress Attire

My Hubby is wondering what the norm is for the guys’ evening dress. Our first Celebrity Reflection cruise after Royal Carribean cruises.  What type of pants, shorts? Shirts, polo type or long sleeve dress ?   Sport coat the normal  or not?

No shorts at night except in the Buffet.  All other nights, regular and Formal’s replacement, Evening Chic, will see everything from khakis and a Tommy Bahama style shirt or a polo/golf shirt or a dress shirt with or without tie and/or coat...to sports jackets, suits, a few tuxes and kilts.  The only real “rule” is no shorts at night and no “wife beater” (sleeveless t-shirts) for men.  Dress up or not as you desire.

typically I wore Khaki docker slacks, and a short sleeve collared button down or a polo shirt.  On chic nights, I wore a regular button down shirt, with a blazer and the same style pants.  Casual, comfortable was the dress of most men at night.  Few in shorts.  On chic nights, some dressed more than others.  Many didn't have jackets/blazers.  No one judged.  

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

typically I wore Khaki docker slacks, and a short sleeve collared button down or a polo shirt.  On chic nights, I wore a regular button down shirt, with a blazer and the same style pants.  Casual, comfortable was the dress of most men at night.  Few in shorts.  On chic nights, some dressed more than others.  Many didn't have jackets/blazers.  No one judged.  

Thanks for the help😎

Got off the Reflection a couple of weeks ago and we found the dress code very casual on every night, I’d say TAs & Europe would be more dressier vs the Caribbean so that might be a factor, 

personally i wore jeans & a polo/buttoned shirt every night and felt I fitted in perfectly with what I saw, yes I wore a jacket on a couple of nights and yes I saw a couple of more formal dress on the chic nights but not too many, 

if dining in in the lawn club grill  shorts are ok there as well as the buffet, 

46 minutes ago, beachhouse said:

My Hubby is wondering what the norm is for the guys’ evening dress. Our first Celebrity Reflection cruise after Royal Carribean cruises.  What type of pants, shorts? Shirts, polo type or long sleeve dress ?   Sport coat the normal  or not?

Just curious but what cabin category do you have. If you are in a regular cabin you eat in the Main Dining room which is the only place where evening chic applies. 

DH is bringing three sport coats, and so I am blaming him for the luggage weight dilemma I am having right now. :classic_blink:

DH will bring a white sport coat for our 50th anniversary cruise (Vancouver to Hawaii) this September. Now to find the pink carnation...

My DH's luggage has never outweighed mine! I think perhaps you need to pack more shoes!😜

10 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I’ve never heard of a husband whose suitcase outweighed his wife’s!!

🤩

Now you have. His dress shoes had to come out and are now in a carry on. 

3 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

My DH's luggage has never outweighed mine! I think perhaps you need to pack more shoes!😜

Oh, if there were only room left in the carry on. 

My DH usually takes 1 sport jacket and 3 dress shirts for the evening chic nights on a longer cruise. That helps save some space and weight and also takes a minimum in the shoe department allowing me to go a bit crazy. Lately we've been driving to Florida to our cruises, so the weight limit fortunately doesn't apply to the luggage in the car! Thank heavens!!!!! When deciding what to pack and choosing between two options, I too often find myself choosing both because.....I can! It's a blessing and a curse.😄

2 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

My DH usually takes 1 sport jacket and 3 dress shirts for the evening chic nights on a longer cruise. That helps save some space and weight and also takes a minimum in the shoe department allowing me to go a bit crazy. Lately we've been driving to Florida to our cruises, so the weight limit fortunately doesn't apply to the luggage in the car! Thank heavens!!!!! When deciding what to pack and choosing between two options, I too often find myself choosing both because.....I can! It's a blessing and a curse.😄

I hear you. I need to MOVE to Florida. 

No, as you can see in my user info, we still live in Philly Burbs, PA. We just don't mind long drives! We take a few extra days, take our time and make some interesting stops along the way....and listen to a few audible books. It seems I married a man that's just as daft as I....happily.

There was someone in shorts in mdr last week on infinity, there is normally one elite night , most people had dockers or dresss pants and short with collar , I bring a jacket for elite , times they are a changing , very few people dress up. I always had a tux up til a couple of years ago

2 minutes ago, George C said:

There was someone in shorts in mdr last week on infinity, there is normally one elite night , most people had dockers or dresss pants and short with collar , I bring a jacket for elite , times they are a changing , very few people dress up. I always had a tux up til a couple of years ago

I know. Tuxes and Gowns we used for cruising that we will probably never use again. 

yes - on our Solstice cruise last year I was in nice jeans most nights with either a polo or button down shirt... on the 2 chic nights we had I wore black pants, a nice black dress shirt and a black and white striped tie - we saw some people in tuxedos and some more casually dressed

12 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

I know. Tuxes and Gowns we used for cruising that we will probably never use again. 

I know 😪

On our next I will wear cocktail and probably still feel over dressed.

M

1 hour ago, George C said:

Do you man Evening Chic night?  I've never heard of Elite night. 

3 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Do you man Evening Chic night?  I've never heard of Elite night. 

Yes , I was thinking of our status ,sorry

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

DH will bring a white sport coat for our 50th anniversary cruise (Vancouver to Hawaii) this September. Now to find the pink carnation...

Try a pink crustacean....appologies to Mr Buffett

I had a nice pair of slacks and Tommy Bahama or similar-style button down shirt most nights in the MDR.  For chic nights, I had a couple of fun long-sleeved patterned dress shirts.  These all fit in nicely.  We did see blazers, suits, and tuxes as well.  Just no shorts. Enjoy your cruise! 🙂

Well as for me just pants and shirt most nights, I still go a suit on chic nights, Mrs Gut likes it, so it happens.