Internet pricing question

magictam

We plan on using the Navigator APP on our smart phones to chat with others in our group aboard Nieuw Amsterdam after we embark this coming Saturday. 

When we downloaded the APP to our phones, there is a login name and PIN.  Is that assigned when you join the ship's WI-FI?

Also, while we have purchased the internet package for our cruise, we understand that we will only be using the ship's WI-FI while we're using the Navigator APP...is that the case.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

20 minutes ago, fsdj1097 said:

We plan on using the Navigator APP on our smart phones to chat with others in our group aboard Nieuw Amsterdam after we embark this coming Saturday. 

When we downloaded the APP to our phones, there is a login name and PIN.  Is that assigned when you join the ship's WI-FI?

Also, while we have purchased the internet package for our cruise, we understand that we will only be using the ship's WI-FI while we're using the Navigator APP...is that the case.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Yes, that is correct. You do not need to purchase internet access to use the app and it will work great for communicating among your group. Everyone can keep their devices on airplane mode and on ship's wifi. Just keep in mind there are no bells or sounds associated with the chat on Navigator, so you have to keep checking to see if you have any messages.  I found that I and my travel companion missed a lot of one another's communications because we didn't hear any "ding" and just forgot to check to see if we were getting chat messages. 

As for logging on - it's usually you cabin number attached to your surname, no spaces.  I have never done it before boarding, but someone else will probably chime in on that.

On 5/26/2019 at 8:58 PM, BVsmurfette said:

One question though - can anyone confirm if there's a limit on the number of devices that can connect?  I saw in someones post that it was only ONE device at a time, which seems so archaic! that would be a deal breaker for sure.

Get yourself a travel router and you can have multiple logins.  Do a search in this forum using keyword “router” and you will find the details.

58 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Does anybody what the current onboard price for Surf for 14 days?

Based on the table in post #2, the Surf Plan would be $169.99 for 14 days. I was on a recent 11 day cruise and paid $139.99 for the Surf Plan, so I believe the table to be accurate.

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Does anybody what the current onboard price for Surf for 14 days?

I boarded ms Amsterdam a couple of hours ago. Surf Plan for 14 days is $169.99 and premium is $50 more or $219.99

43 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I boarded ms Amsterdam a couple of hours ago. Surf Plan for 14 days is $169.99 and premium is $50 more or $219.99

Thanks for this. I'll be on that cruise August 12-26.  Is there a daily or hourly rate, or are the three types of "unlimited" the only options?

6 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Thanks for this. I'll be on that cruise August 12-26.  Is there a daily or hourly rate, or are the three types of "unlimited" the only options?

A daily rate is available. It is $24.99 and is supposed to be for a 24 hour period, starting when you purchase it. I have not seen any posts by anyone who has purchased the day pass so I'm not sure how it works.

Just now, richwmn said:

A daily rate is available. It is $24.99 and is supposed to be for a 24 hour period, starting when you purchase it. I have not seen any posts by anyone who has purchased the day pass so I'm not sure how it works.

Thank you!! I think I'll get by with just using internet in ports except for a day or two of the daily internet - it will come to a lot less than if I get the unlimited.  Have a wonderful cruise!!! Oh, and off topic for this thread, but I'd love to know who is the captain on Amsterdam now that Capt. Jonathan Mercer is on his sabbatical...

43 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Thank you!! I think I'll get by with just using internet in ports except for a day or two of the daily internet - it will come to a lot less than if I get the unlimited.  Have a wonderful cruise!!! Oh, and off topic for this thread, but I'd love to know who is the captain on Amsterdam now that Capt. Jonathan Mercer is on his sabbatical...

The captain is currently Fred Eversen

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

So, that means that for my 7/29 sailing on the Amsterdam Premium plan at $175.99 if pre-purchased online is actually a good value as it's only $6 more than the onboard price of the Surf plan.  That said I'm not planning on doing any wifi and disconnecting a bit this time :)

9 hours ago, Moriah said:

Yes, that is correct. You do not need to purchase internet access to use the app and it will work great for communicating among your group. Everyone can keep their devices on airplane mode and on ship's wifi. Just keep in mind there are no bells or sounds associated with the chat on Navigator, so you have to keep checking to see if you have any messages.  I found that I and my travel companion missed a lot of one another's communications because we didn't hear any "ding" and just forgot to check to see if we were getting chat messages. 

As for logging on - it's usually you cabin number attached to your surname, no spaces.  I have never done it before boarding, but someone else will probably chime in on that.

Thanks so much for your reply Moriah.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 4:31 PM, richwmn said:

image.png.ac28652e16359b7c1fc5d0ff87361f66.png

Sorry, but that is a really bad answer from your PCC. As of the first of the year all HAL ships are on a 3 tier plan similar to what you describe on Carnival. The cost of the package is based on how many days your cruise is.

There does not seem to be a speed difference, just what you are able to access.

Hi,

In January we will be doing a 22 day Antarctica cruise and additional touring.  We will be gone away from home for almost a month.  Due to my job restrictions, I will need to check in with them at least weekly.  Additionally, I will want to access the credit cards website we will be using and our bank to ensure charges are correct and bills are being paid.

My two questions:

Can I use the surf package or do I need the premium?

I can pre-purchase the premium package through the HAL website for $139.99.  Should I or shouldn't I?

Thank you,

Robyn

Edited by COTINGEY

40 minutes ago, COTINGEY said:

Hi,

In January we will be doing a 22 day Antarctica cruise and additional touring.  We will be gone away from home for almost a month.  Due to my job restrictions, I will need to check in with them at least weekly.  Additionally, I will want to access the credit cards website we will be using and our bank to ensure charges are correct and bills are being paid.

My two questions:

I can pre-purchase the premium package through the HAL website for $139.99.  Should I or shouldn't I?

Thank you,

Robyn

I would call Ship Services prior to purchasing that.  If you are on a "Collectors" cruise (2 shorter voyages back to back sold as 1 cruise) the online system may only be tracking the Premium package for segment 1 of the voyage (most likely a 10 or 11 night sailing).  The reason I say this is that $139.99 seems VERY low for 22 days and more in line with 10 or 11 day pricing  ......

4 hours ago, COTINGEY said:

Hi,

My two questions:

Thank you,

Robyn

The Surf package will easily do the trick for you.

It’s more than sufficient for what you want to do.  I use it regularly for email, live threads, financial checks, etc.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We're on the Maasdam for 40 days starting in October and I cannot find anywhere in my cruise planner where we can pre-purchase an Internet package. If I might ask, where am I not looking?

Go to Gifts and Indulgences - you’ll see internet there.

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Go to Gifts and Indulgences - you’ll see internet there.

Thanks kazu. I checked there earlier. Maybe because it's a HAL engineered 40 day cruise made using a 10 day leg and a 30 day leg, they don't offer it in advance since combined it's over 30 days. Who knows.

I tried calling HAL services department today, but after 20 minutes, I decided I'll just wait until we board the ship. Who knows, maybe it will magically appear 60 days out in my cruise planner. But thanks for confirming it should be in the Gifts and Indulgencies section.

2 hours ago, COTINGEY said:

My error - it's a 22 day cruise (Santiago to Buenos Aires) and the pre-purchase price is $239.99.  A savings of $60 for the voyage.

Just a warning -- Satellite service including internet is going to be VERY VERY BAD the farther you get from the equator. Try to have a backup for your work if they do not hear from you.

Public wifi (at a pub) in Ushuaia was so bad we couldn't even use it.

• Like 1