Breakfast Buffet

cruisinaz

9 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Just wondering...what would constitute "absolutely amazing"? It's just breakfast. A bowel of cereal, toast and coffee, maybe a few fried eggs. 

Amazing is definetly subjective....  my amazing breakfast is probably different from yours...but at the end of the day it is just breakfast...can it ever be amazing to everyone?!?

• Like 1

I think the breakfast buffets are fine.  You can get hot and cold cereal, fresh fruit, pastries, french toast, pancakes, omelettes, bacon, sausage, cheese, coffee, milk, juice, and some other items.  It's enough of a variety for me.  The buffet breakfast on all of the lines I have cruised have all been fine.  I think if that's not good enough for someone, then they will probably enjoy going to one of the restaurants for breakfast and ordering off of the menu.  I like the buffet breakfast.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisinaz said:

I was just reading some reviews and there were your typical comments about the breakfast buffet just being ok.      

Have you you ever had a breakfast buffet that was absolutely amazing???

Yes--at the Breakers Hotel Palm Beach

(As the OP has only asked a yes-or-no question with no request for further information such as "on which cruise ship(s) have you had a breakfast buffet that was absolutely amazing" my answer is more than sufficient--as are the others above :classic_dry:)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisinaz said:

I was just reading some reviews and there were your typical comments about the breakfast buffet just being ok.      

Certainly not on a cruise ship, but yes.  Freshly fried eggs with broiled,  thick sliced hickory smoked bacon; perhaps eggs Benedict with well-prepared hollandaise on top of properly poached eggs over quality Canadian bacon;  following freshly squeezed OJ, and followed by well prepared Lapsang Souchong tea.

• Like 1

We (wife and I) really like the carved ham in the buffet on Royal Caribbean. Freshly cooked eggs are nice, but usually somewhat slow (obviously, because they are cooked to order). Rest is OK, nothing great. MDR (dining room) is more special to me, especially the eggs bennedict.

You can get the same food in the dining room, for the most part, and it's served to you!  The problem with buffets is waiting behind folks who can't make up their minds, or trying to find the syrup or butter or jelly, while the rest of your plate is getting cold...in the DR, it's all on your table, waiting on YOU!

I've never had a breakfast buffet that was "amazing" on a cruise ship.  The buffets on cruises are meant to address two requirements: Gluttony and velocity.  They are adequate if you want a quick meal before a port visit or want to gorge yourself. 

18 hours ago, cruisinaz said:

HAL had very good eggs benedict, Norwegian had crepes, fresh OJ with a beverage package on most ships, crispy bacon that doesn't screw up your stove, fancy coffee for less than Starbucks and best of all, I didn't have to cook it!

• Like 1

You get the same things in the buffet as you do in the dining room. The difference in the dining room is that you have to wait for coffee. (I NEED my coffee!)  Breakfast is pretty good - eggs, fresh if you want them, bacon or ham, fruit, pastries, a bloody mary if it's a sea day or you need a little hair of the dog...

2 hours ago, LynnTTT said:

HAL had very good eggs benedict, Norwegian had crepes, fresh OJ with a beverage package on most ships, crispy bacon that doesn't screw up your stove, fancy coffee for less than Starbucks and best of all, I didn't have to cook it!

As far as "screwing up your stove"...Try the oven method...amazing crispy bacon !!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

As far as "screwing up your stove"...Try the oven method...amazing crispy bacon !!

I prefer to cook my bacon on the grill.  Extra smoky, extra crispy bacon!

7 hours ago, K32682 said:

I've never had a breakfast buffet that was "amazing" on a cruise ship.  The buffets on cruises are meant to address two requirements: Gluttony and velocity.  They are adequate if you want a quick meal before a port visit or want to gorge yourself. 

In your opinion, maybe.  I’m sure the cruise lines have different reasons, possibly including speed of service, variety, and cost effectiveness versus scale.

7 hours ago, A2Mich said:

In your opinion, maybe.  I’m sure the cruise lines have different reasons, possibly including speed of service, variety, and cost effectiveness versus scale.

The reasons aren't that different. The cruise lines and I share one objective and that is speed.  They can serve more people faster with fewer staff.  The only reason I will dine at a buffet whether on board or ashore is if I want to eat quickly and get on with the rest of the day. 

Cost effectiveness and scale are why buffets appeal to gluttons.  They prefer prefer buffets because a variety of food is available in practically limitless quantities and they don't have to depend on servers to bring it to them over and over again.

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

The most amazing breakfast buffet that I have ever had was at the Hyatt in Maui.  It was delicious.

I’m cheating here since it wasn’t a buffet but was Hawaii....In Kona, we tried the Kona Ranch House back in 1999 (yes it was that memorable).  Vanilla macadamias nut French toast and the western omelette were amazing/best breakfast I ever had.  Sadly I think the restaurant has since closed.

Oh and to add a buffet breakfast that should be consistently.good...stay at an Embassy Suites where the eggs are cooked to order.

Edited by soonernstlouis

Easter Sunday Brunch at the Ahwahnee, Yosemite Valley, on the outside patio.   The wait for the main dining room was over an hour, but the Hostess said they were opening up the patio that faces back towards the Valley.   Nobody remembers the food, only the scenery especially with deer and their Bambies roaming around in the meadow in front of us.

• Like 2