Cruise Critic Community

On 4/4/2019 at 10:42 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Just wondering...what would constitute "absolutely amazing"? It's just breakfast. A bowel of cereal, toast and coffee, maybe a few fried eggs. 

A bowel of cereal? That's a definite pass! 😳

5 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Is it an "Aussie thing," Mic?

When I read Hank's original post that is exactly what I wondered.

Again, I agree that it does sound pretty good.

I am not sure where it originated but you can get them here.

2 hours ago, Pirate44 said:

It is a Panamanian specialty, especially in Colon.

We also have dessert pizza's like Nutella and Banana Pizza or Grilled fruit on Marscapone Pizza or the S'more Pizza.

13 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a Panamanian specialty, especially in Colon.

LOL 😃

(Based on my one visit to Colon, it is appropriately named!)

We have never understood what is so wonderful about a breakfast buffet.

28 minutes ago, iancal said:

Some folks enjoy breakfast as a meal and variety.    

I guess it is because we do not cruise to eat.  Just as well given the decline in food quality and prep.

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Not so much on a cruise, but on land, when traveling for work, a nice long, leisurely, wonderful breakfast buffet, with a book is a nice way to spend a day and relax.

I guess it is because we do not cruise to eat.  Just as well given the decline in food quality and prep.

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  That doesn't translate in I cruise to eat (I hope).  I do enjoy the breakfast buffets most of the time.  Spice of life!  

We used to cruise to eat, but like you say on the lines we cruise, we don't expect much.

I am a bit jealous of those whose food tastes are inline with cruise line food.

A few years ago I was with a group on the broken Carnival Elation.  I had no idea where anyone in my group was and I was starving so I went to the buffet on the Lido Deck and it was surprisingly wonderful!  I enjoyed the food and the solitude as I sat at a small table watching the ocean go by.  One of my favorite memories from that cruise!

For some they may cruise for the food, but for others, me included, we cruise to cruise and enjoy the food as we cruise. Breakfast included.

19 hours ago, iancal said:

Like any buffet, it allows one to pick and choose amounts and specifics of what one wants - only this type of fruit, or only that much butter for one's toast.  It also allows people to eat at their pace and schedule.  That's independent of the quality of the food -- that's an entirely different issue.  I would not choose to cruise on a ship with bad food, because I have the option of cruising on a ship with good food - life is too short to eat things when I don't enjoy them 🙂

On 5/17/2019 at 9:00 AM, iancal said:

I ask a similar question about many of the venues, activities and other options on a cruise.

However, as I have said many times here on Cruise Critic, the great thing about cruising is that I get to customize my experience to optimize my enjoyment, and my choices have absolutely no effect on the enjoyment of other passengers on the cruise.  Similarly, their choices have no effect on my enjoyment. 

9 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Like any buffet, it allows one to pick and choose amounts and specifics of what one wants - only this type of fruit, or only that much butter for one's toast.  It also allows people to eat at their pace and schedule.  That's independent of the quality of the food -- that's an entirely different issue.  I would not choose to cruise on a ship with bad food, because I have the option of cruising on a ship with good food - life is too short to eat things when I don't enjoy them 🙂

Good points, especially the last.

On 5/16/2019 at 12:54 PM, Pirate44 said:

That’s one of my points exactly ...I think Breakfast is the most subjective of all meals.   

On 5/9/2019 at 5:15 AM, Mike981 said:

Food discussions are always interesting. It's such a personal opinion.

And. This is big. Your palate is based on what you eat most of the time at home.

As for breakfast anywhere in public, it is normally just 'blah' to me. I love to cook and I've been told I do okay. Most breakfast food by its very nature is not meant to sit on a warmer. I agree, made to order is the way to go if you are willing to wait.

That’s the problem with most buffet food, it’s not meant to sit in a warming tray.

9 hours ago, cruisinaz said:

That’s one of my points exactly ...I think Breakfast is the most subjective of all meals.   

Um “Bowel” seems to be the operative word.

I think people (including myself on occasion) just like the amount of choice and the fact they have not cooked it themselves (rather than focusing on the quality). If I have breakfast at home I have much less of a choice even if I have stocked up on goodies.

My mouth is watering at the thought of egg pizza. The Pizza someone mentioned with the egg in the middle is called Florentine pizza and is actually an genuine pizza actually created for brunch /breakfast time in Italy....so they say. We shared one overlooking Bologna a few years back on honeymoon.