Who's Been on Rhapsody Lately

4 hours ago, Thesandman12 said:

We are booked on that ship for 2020 B2B T/A to Tampa, going on it next week for the heck of it, been on it before smaller, older, but excellent, more friendly crew and passengers.  Many who have been canceled on other ships, Oasis for one, are jumping on this 2020 T/A, as well as other canceled ships, it is filling up, got a great price but that was 2 months ago, depends on what one wants I guess, good luck

Thanks for the info & will maybe have to start planning.

On 4/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, TPCRUISER2 said:

Off Rhapsody this am. Great ship for food and service. Beware, First few inside cabins on Deck 8 forward horrible for noise. 2 of them handicap rooms.

We're in 8515 in a few weeks... I'm assuming this is one that you're including in that group? (Fortunately, we have only one sea day, and we'll be out all day at in ports the rest of the time, so minimal time in the cabin, and my parents are in a JS across the hall... we can escape for some time, too 🙂 ) 

Was on the rhapsody for 21 days last April, did the transatlantic. I had booked an OV cabin aft, turned out it was 2 small portholes. I asked at the desk to move rooms and they gave me a wonderful OV midship. Excellent ship, staff, entertainment, and diamond host.  WiFi was great.   I didn’t find the food all that good, but it’s subjective. 

I am doing a 7 day next week on her again. The transatlantic following that cruise was the same price as the one week I’m taking. Wish I had time to do that, also. 

3 hours ago, KathyGee said:

We're in 8515 in a few weeks... I'm assuming this is one that you're including in that group? (Fortunately, we have only one sea day, and we'll be out all day at in ports the rest of the time, so minimal time in the cabin, and my parents are in a JS across the hall... we can escape for some time, too 🙂 ) 

Yes, This was one in the string. You must have worn yourself out daily or good sleepers. The noise was just as bad at night as during the day. The ladies in 8011 got room credit for the noise. I just got an excuse for noise, glad to get home to my quiet bedroom. Sad to want to be home due to noise and no sleeping during a cruise.

We were in Grand Suite 8512 in Oct for a Greek Isles cruise . Everything was wonderful on the ship except our cabin was under the (not on the deck plans) path from the Windjammer galley to the Windjammer. It was horrible at night. We all got future cruise certificates for our agony.

On 4/6/2019 at 10:17 AM, Big_G said:

Sitting at TPA after getting off her this morning. We were a little leery because we haven't sailed this class in 20 years. The ship was in great shape. We ate dinners in Chops, Giovanni's, MTD, and the Windjammer. Chops and Giovanni's was excellent. MTD food was good but loud. Service was pretty good except the one waiter that asked for a 10 before taking our order. The Windjammer food was good as well as the service. We just came off Harmony two months ago so we were impressed with the crew interaction with passengers. It was almost like old time cruising. The WIFI was a pain. Speed wasn't a problem as much as dropped connections. The DL and SL were not overcrowded. We wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.

We were on the same cruise as you.  We skipped the MDR and dine paid dining and the Windjammer, and to be honest, we'll likely go that route from now on.

Service from bar staff was fabulous. Food was good.  Staff except, wifi not.

We'll be sailing on her again.

• Like 1

Just back from Rhapsody yesterday. We last cruised her 20 years ago, so was prepared for wear and were not disappointed. I realize that cruise ships go out every week and it is difficult to maintain them at sea, but we were astonished at the corrosion and bubbling paint in very obvious places. The wear of the furnishings was noticeable also. We were told at the captain's corner that she will go in for maintenance soon but will not get any enhancements. Were told separately that the Vision Class will probably be replaced by somewhat larger ships but small enough to allow use of ports(like Tampa) that will not allow much larger ships. This will occur in the next half dozen years. The food in the main dining room was disappointing with prime rib served blue, steaks half gristle,  vegetables barely cooked, and tasteless desserts. Lunch in the Windjammer now seems to feature hamburgers and hot dogs instead of having them as a possible option. Went to Giovanni's and food there was good if you choose the right items( go with servers recommendations). The Kinetic Band in the Centrum was excellent and played a wide variety of music. Did not go to the theater as nothing there appealed. My opinion only but it seems the staff is stretched thin and always seem in a hurry, overall they were pleasant and very willing to help. Overall disappointed in this particular cruise but found gems like our cabin steward(Oscar), the Kinetic band and the relaxation factor that made it enjoyable. Will probably be saying farewell to Vision Class for any future cruises with Royal Caribbean.

Chris

did the November TA in 2017

would not sail it again, unless it a port intensive cruise 

service was just OK, friendly crew 

food was  mediocre , you wanted avocado with the avocado burger 🙄

Small ship , the art auction people took over 1/2 the ship at times 

and Tampa, what a pain getting off, they had to open up the Windjammer for lunch because so many people were still on the ship 

luckly we had a lot friends on the cruise so we did have a good time 

this was our 6 TA , the other 5 were on Celebrity 

19 hours ago, TPCRUISER2 said:

Yes, This was one in the string. You must have worn yourself out daily or good sleepers. The noise was just as bad at night as during the day. The ladies in 8011 got room credit for the noise. I just got an excuse for noise, glad to get home to my quiet bedroom. Sad to want to be home due to noise and no sleeping during a cruise.

10 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

did the November TA in 2017

would not sail it again, unless it a port intensive cruise 

service was just OK, friendly crew 

food was  mediocre , you wanted avocado with the avocado burger 🙄

Small ship , the art auction people took over 1/2 the ship at times 

and Tampa, what a pain getting off, they had to open up the Windjammer for lunch because so many people were still on the ship 

luckly we had a lot friends on the cruise so we did have a good time 

this was our 6 TA , the other 5 were on Celebrity 

We will be in inside cabin 3517 on a future cruise.  What kind of noise did you experience in your cabin?  I am hoping ours will be quieter?

17 hours ago, bcarney said:

We were on the same cruise as you.  We skipped the MDR and dine paid dining and the Windjammer, and to be honest, we'll likely go that route from now on.

Service from bar staff was fabulous. Food was good.  Staff except, wifi not.

We'll be sailing on her again.

You skipped MDR, Windjammer, and paid dining, where did you eat? or did I misread

Edited by Thesandman12

2 hours ago, work2cruis said:

Just back from Rhapsody yesterday. We last cruised her 20 years ago, so was prepared for wear and were not disappointed. I realize that cruise ships go out every week and it is difficult to maintain them at sea, but we were astonished at the corrosion and bubbling paint in very obvious places. The wear of the furnishings was noticeable also. We were told at the captain's corner that she will go in for maintenance soon but will not get any enhancements. Were told separately that the Vision Class will probably be replaced by somewhat larger ships but small enough to allow use of ports(like Tampa) that will not allow much larger ships. This will occur in the next half dozen years. The food in the main dining room was disappointing with prime rib served blue, steaks half gristle,  vegetables barely cooked, and tasteless desserts. Lunch in the Windjammer now seems to feature hamburgers and hot dogs instead of having them as a possible option. Went to Giovanni's and food there was good if you choose the right items( go with servers recommendations). The Kinetic Band in the Centrum was excellent and played a wide variety of music. Did not go to the theater as nothing there appealed. My opinion only but it seems the staff is stretched thin and always seem in a hurry, overall they were pleasant and very willing to help. Overall disappointed in this particular cruise but found gems like our cabin steward(Oscar), the Kinetic band and the relaxation factor that made it enjoyable. Will probably be saying farewell to Vision Class for any future cruises with Royal Caribbean.

Chris

Interesting how extreme the opinions are about this ship and the Tampa port, and many from people on the same cruise. I guess we all look through much different glasses. One comment was, ' he had to give the waiter 10', does that mean 10 minutes or does that mean 10 dollars. 10 minutes to visit, relax, no electronic devices, maybe people don't know how to visit any more or relax.  Just a thought, I am sure I will catch hell about this post.

10 minutes ago, Thesandman12 said:

You skipped MDR, Windjammer, and paid dining, where did you eat? or did I misread

poor typing on my part.  I meant to say "we skipped the MDR and did paid dining..."

27 minutes ago, bcarney said:

poor typing on my part.  I meant to say "we skipped the MDR and did paid dining..."

I worried you may have lost too much weight, tough to do on a cruise ship, but glad to hear you dd get fed. Enjoy your next cruise.

3 hours ago, recruiter 28 said:

We will be in inside cabin 3517 on a future cruise.  What kind of noise did you experience in your cabin?  I am hoping ours will be quieter?

We were in an inside , cannot remember the , same deck as the balconies, it was pretty quiet , but very small compared to Celebrity cabins 

On April 6, 2019 at 2:35 PM, TPCRUISER2 said:

Off Rhapsody this am. Great ship for food and service. Beware, First few inside cabins on Deck 8 forward horrible for noise. 2 of them handicap rooms.

On April 6, 2019 at 2:35 PM, TPCRUISER2 said:

We have booked an inside 3517 on an upcoming cruise.  What type of noises did you hear?  We are hoping for a quieter cabin.  Thank you

21 hours ago, recruiter 28 said:

We have booked an inside 3517 on an upcoming cruise.  What type of noises did you hear?  We are hoping for a quieter cabin.  Thank you

You should be fine. I prefer 2nd ad 3rd floor. They told us we were under a storage cabinet for supplies. And they stock at night. Seamed like day and night.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:56 AM, work2cruis said:

Chris

We had a very similar experience on her back in December. Will not sail on her, again. The MDR food was terrible, like bad banquet food at a conference you really don't want to be at. The bartenders and servers in the Schooner Bar saved it for us as they were great. 

I will be sailing on Rhapsody in 3 weeks..Barcelona to Venice...very port intensive and only 1 sea day.  We have the 3 day dining pkg. and aren't too concerned about the food in the MDR as we plan to eat some wonderful lunches in port (Italy 🙂 ).  I haven't sailed this class before..my last 2 RCCL ships were Harmony and Oasis so I'm sure the ship will seem small to me.  We did a similar itinerary on Harmony out of Barcelona and I will say it was a waste of that ship since it was such a port intensive itinerary as well.  I am going in with an open mind..any day at sea is better than a day at work 🙂 We are in cabin 8544 which is a "spacious ocean view" and has a floor to ceiling window.  Anyone had this cabin or similar before?  We have always had balconies except in the early days when we had a traditional ocean view. 🙂

• Clarea changed the title to Who's Been on Rhapsody Lately
1 hour ago, grinningimm said:

Can anyone point me to the thread that answers questions about specific cabins on Rhapsody? I'd like to ask about ours, now that we have an assignment.

There is a thread that has info about staterooms here:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1167958-royal-caribbean-cabin-information-compilation-no-cabin-questions-posted-here-please/

However, that thread does not permit questions, so go ahead and ask here.

Thanks! I'll read it first, to save other folks' time.

Edit: 45 pages covering the whole fleet, I don't like my odds.

What can anyone tell us about cabin 2014 on Rhapsody? We are particularly interested in noise issues. We know there are cabins above us, but what lies below? What about water noise?

Edited by grinningimm

8 hours ago, grinningimm said:

Thanks! I'll read it first, to save other folks' time.

Edit: 45 pages covering the whole fleet, I don't like my odds.

What can anyone tell us about cabin 2014 on Rhapsody? We are particularly interested in noise issues. We know there are cabins above us, but what lies below? What about water noise?

Little to no water noise.