Taxi to accommodate wheelchair from ship pier to Vancouver Airport - YYV

We are taking a taxi from the cruise ship pier to the Vancouver Airport (May 9).   The ship arrives at 7am (Celebrity Eclipse).  

My question is:  at the pier are there larger sedan-size taxis or even mini-vans?   Or will we need to reserve a vehicle large enough ahead of time?   (We need a taxi that can accommodate a collapsible wheelchair.)

By law every cab fleet in the area must provide a minimum number of wheelchair-accessible vehicles - it's a little under 1 in 5. Every one I've seen has been a minivan, set up so that a wheelchair can be rolled up a ramp and secured inside (i.e. instead of having the extra bench seat, they still only have 4 regular passenger seats). So even if you were stuck in a motorized wheelchair and entirely immobile otherwise, you'd be catered to just fine but might need to wait an extra couple of minutes for a minivan to arrive.

If you can manage to get into a regular car seat and your chair collapses, then you will actually be OK with ANY cab if there are just 2 or even 3 of you. Most of the fleets for all companies are made up of various Prius models, cheaper to run but with reduced trunk depth thanks to all those batteries - but I've seen folding chairs, even ones with regular 'bicycle' wheels, slip in no problem. There's no way there would be enough room for a chair, suitcases & carryons for 4 people in one though so you'd have to wait for a van again if you are a foursome.

Edited by martincath

2 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

We are taking a taxi from the cruise ship pier to the Vancouver Airport (May 9).   The ship arrives at 7am (Celebrity Eclipse).  

My question is:  at the pier are there larger sedan-size taxis or even mini-vans?   Or will we need to reserve a vehicle large enough ahead of time?   (We need a taxi that can accommodate a collapsible wheelchair.)

While most of the taxi fleet in Vancouver are Toyota Prius, you'll find about 1 in 5 that's a minivan (generally a Toyota Sienna, or Ford Transit Connect), that are well suited for carrying a wheelchair.  You wont have a problem at all getting one.