Cruise Critic Community

Seen various"must haves" to take with you on cruises. People seem to use magnetic hooks or similar to help with storage of items. Are they necessary or any good or just a gimmick. Have seen them used for sticking cruise literature to walls etc. Anybtips for must haves for first time cruisers.

I find small magnets useful for sticking cruise literature/tickets etc on the cabin walls.We have also got magnetic hooks for light robes/hats etc but find they sometimes slide off so don t tend to bother with those anymore.

I use 'em to stick tickets, itinerary, reminders and stuff like that on the wall.

Posted (edited)

I bought a pack of magnetic hooks for our northern lights cruise on aurora where we were frequently adjusting layers.   They were superb! 

Edited by galeforce9

Posted (edited)

Re: sticking things to the wall with magnets, if you're the kind of person who uses a pinboard or fridge door to organise various bits of paperwork then taking magnets for the magnetic walls is really useful tip as the entire wall is basically a giant fridge door! If, like me, you're more likely to file things neatly in a folder when not in use then it's probably not so relevant. I find a transparent A4 plastic folder for paperwork plus a few post-it notes for reminders suits me much better. Loads of great tips on here but pick and choose the ones that you think will work for you or you'll need a whole extra suitcase just for the extras.

Best tip I came across in here was to take one of those cardboard car air freshners for your cabin bathroom, helps to hide any lingering smells!

Edited by HappyGiraffe

We have tiny but very very powerful magnets off amazon. Coloured jewel like ones. After reading about the equally powerful hooks ordered some off those of amazon. Yes, if you put them on the wall  and hang  something heavy off then they slide down, however if you put one on the ceiling, it will take a coats weight. Did mine on our last cruise. Also as it was a long cruise, when I did the laundry, some things I wouldn't tumble, so i arranged the hooks around the A/C vent and hung the hangers on them. dried the clothes very quickly.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:27 PM, Narrow boat girl said:

Anybtips for must haves for first time cruisers.

I haven't  taken magnets with me on any of the cruises, but I probably will on the next one as eldest child will be old enough to return from kids club on their own and I can leave messages for them.

One of our "essentials" is a pop up laundry basket,  keep it at the bottom of the "wardrobe" and its then easy to keep dirty clothes all in one place.  Mine has carry handles so I can carry it to launderette if I need to wash some clothes on a cruise (no matter how many clothes I take for the kids they get them all dirty!)