Meraviglia New York

Bella89

Manhattan! I'm not sure when your sailaway is and if you have early dinner, but if there is anything that could stop you from seeing the departure from New York -- cancel it! 😄 Departing from Manhattan is one of the most scenic cruise ship departures in the world, you will pass by uptown, midtown and downtown, plus all of the small crafts and the Staten Island Ferries, the skyscrapers in Jersey City and Newark, the Statue of Liberty, and then of course, you will go under the Verazzannos. Easily my favorite sailaway in the world. Don't miss it! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, OceansOfTravels said:

Manhattan! I'm not sure when your sailaway is and if you have early dinner, but if there is anything that could stop you from seeing the departure from New York -- cancel it! 😄 Departing from Manhattan is one of the most scenic cruise ship departures in the world, you will pass by uptown, midtown and downtown, plus all of the small crafts and the Staten Island Ferries, the skyscrapers in Jersey City and Newark, the Statue of Liberty, and then of course, you will go under the Verazzannos. Easily my favorite sailaway in the world. Don't miss it! 

Which side of the ship will have the view at sail away?  I am wondering if we can see it from our balcony.

Statue of Liberty is on the right side side.

NYC is (new World Trade Center etc) is on the left.  NJ on the right.

NYC shore line (beaches in Brooklyn) is on the left.

Bridge....above you.

Ferries, Circle Line and other small vessels...both sides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, April42749 said:

Statue of Liberty is on the right side side.

NYC is (new World Trade Center etc) is on the left.  NJ on the right.

NYC shore line (beaches in Brooklyn) is on the left.

Bridge....above you.

Ferries, Circle Line and other small vessels...h sides.

Since we are sailing, we should go with the jargon. This how I remember.

Left and port both have 4 letter.  Starboard is the “right” side.  Facing forward.

So, Statue of Liberty is on the port side of ship.

9 hours ago, phissy said:

Left and port both have 4 letter.  Starboard is the “right” side.  Facing forward.

Left and right....so much easier to remember....especially when you're not a native speaker of English....or trying to visualize where you should stand.

56 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Thanks for the tips, looking forward to sailing out of NYC in Oct of this year. Based on this information, I think we'll watch from the front.

We're going on 10/08....to Canada.

I only sailed on MSC once before (Davina from Miami) and was more than thrilled when I found out they were sailing from "here" We live walking distance to the cruise terminal in Manhattan.).

I'm hoping the Meraviglia lives up to my Davina memories.

16 hours ago, phissy said:

Regardless of term you use, the Statue of Liberty is on the right or starboard side of the ship when departing Manhattan.

4 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Thanks for the tips, looking forward to sailing out of NYC in Oct of this year. Based on this information, I think we'll watch from the front.

My favorite option is a view near the stern, so you can see SoL and Manhattan together as you go down the river.

Views from the NCL Escape after leaving Manhattan.

A2T1A3358.thumb.jpg.fef3fe15da635fb0f4aabb5cf8b5b97d.jpg

XA2T1A3343.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Was thinking the same thing, myself, CF.  See you in TSL.  I'll be booking late dining for that evening  :classic_biggrin:.  Of course, on Meraviglia, there are tables in the restaurant next to the windows, so it could be nice to dine as we sail away.

• Like 1