Moscow to St. Petersburg River Cruise

5 minutes ago, longtime cruise said:

We will be taking a River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg. We both take prescription medications. Will we have a problem bringing them into the country with us? Please tell me about your experiences with this topic.

I frequently fly into Russia and have never had an issue with my prescription medicine. I keep it in the original bottle and also have a script from my doctor. That said, here is a link to official info (2nd link: note the list of controlled medicines is in Russian and requires translation - I use Google)

http://www.rlus.co.uk/medication.pdf

http://base.garant.ru/12158202/

Please take Dogs4fun's advice seriously. 

Certain rx meds available in the States (such as, for instance, Adderall) are totally illegal in Russia and can potentially land one in jail (Adderall is listed under Schedule 1, along with cocaine, street amphetamines, heroin, and coca leaves, - you get the picture).

The reverse is also true - some meds available OTC in Russia (such as, for instance, some innocuous heart medicines containing barbiturates) are illegal in the States.

Historically the authorities on either side of the fence had not been too keen on enforcing these regulations when it came to personal meds - too much hassle, - BUT, with new equipment such as handheld RAMAN analysers being widely available at every border crossing, an express test of any substance only takes a minute or two. 

Edited to clarify: that said, the vast majority of  prescription medications are not subject to restrictions and will cause no trouble at all. But again, please check the list linked to above for your peace of mind.

Edited by napoxoguk