Sharps containers and diabetes

Blamar

Hi - First timer on Celebrity.  Since I have diabetes I am going to need a sharp's container for our room to hold my used needles and strips.  On other lines I just put in a comment when I registered but I haven't found a space for it yet.  Is this something I should call Celebrity about or just wait and tell the room steward?

Thanks

Blake

I was on solstice last year and I'm type 2 diabetic on insulin - I took 2 small plastic Tupperware containers - 1 for my new needles and 1 for my used.

I didn't know you could ask for a sharps container - will do that on our cruise next year

I can't remember if the fridge was ok or needed to be cooler - I didn't really pay too much attention to that

I've gotten sharps containers in the past by just asking the Butler or State Room Attendant.   I have a supply of small disposable travel sharps containers and often use them instead. 

1720496259_SharpsContainer.jpg.86b54c8be48cddd70fc0cfd5d222e0d5.jpg

I have identified my need during online check in and they have always had a sharps container for me.  I use the pens so they are good for 28 days so don't need refrigeration as we have never gone that long on a trip.  However, I am sure the Medical folks or the Purser can arrange something if you need a good refrigerator.  And Yes I would arrange for it ahead of time.  I think the department is the special needs group and their contact info used to be on the Celebrity website.  

Call Celebrity ahead of time.  They will have a sharps container in your stateroom upon arrival.

6 hours ago, cb at sea said:

You can ask for a sharps container on ANY ship or hotel....or you can put it in an old "take-out" cup and take it to the clinic for disposal.

With all due respect, cb at sea, this is not recommended.  It's dangerous to clinic staff to ask them to accept used sharps in anything but a proper (hard plastic) sharps container, and many places will refuse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruise it or lose it said:

Last cruise when I asked I got a dirty look and since have brought sharpes.thumb.jpg.f9ea4af369680fea4b64135229aae8cd.jpg

Dirty look?

I am surprised because mine have always been there upon boarding and  are yellow not red. I’m not sure why you’d want to bring your own container anymore than .......

I’m sure nobody cares if you need a sharps box in fact they may care if you do and don’t ask for one and need one

I request it before boarding but it’s a common request if you forget to “prebook “

Edited by A Sixth?

4 hours ago, A Sixth? said:

Dirty look?

I am surprised because mine have always been there upon boarding and  are yellow not red. I’m not sure why you’d want to bring your own container anymore than .......

I’m sure nobody cares if you need a sharps box in fact they may care if you do and don’t ask for one and need one

I request it before boarding but it’s a common request if you forget to “prebook “

I think because so many people have diabetes (something like 8 percent of the population) maybe that cruise didn't have enough Sharpes. It took about 3 days before we got one. And only asking 3 times. Since then if I'm not flying I take one.