Chill Island Cabañas - Worth it?

1 minute ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

I can duplicate the much higher pricing reported by a few people (only) by doing one thing...checking all the names in a cabin when ordering instead of just checking under one person

This wasn’t the case for us. 🙂 We’ve booked before and know not to do that. Maybe it’s because it is just opening when we go, or because it’s when prices kick up for the summer anyway. No big deal. 👍🏼

2 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Thanks for that. 🙂 Since it’s from last year, looks like our pricing would be on the highest end (with an increase for this year), as was mentioned above, due to it being prime summer sailing.  👍🏼

Maybe another time. It’s a bit rich for my taste. 

Someone else posted that way back in post #4.

image.gif

6 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

This wasn’t the case for us. 🙂 We’ve booked before and know not to do that. Maybe it’s because it is just opening when we go, or because it’s when prices kick up for the summer anyway. No big deal. 👍🏼

That's good.  Perhaps a couple other people didn't know it and came up with the wrong pricing for that reason.

The $319-$399 pricing is quite reasonable @$53-66 per person for a full day with a cabana (water, towels, and attendant, and food included). Those $1K and above prices...nope.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

image.gif.295c81adf309267e93afc119887f5445.gifYup...so far we have not seen anything that contradicts this post from a couple weeks ago regarding cabana pricing...ALL 4 of those factors play a role in pricing. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2521391-cococay-ocean-view-deluxe-cabana-or-beach-bungalows/?do=findComment&comment=57140741

You have also seen nothing that confirms it, at least not on that thread.

unless you have proof of-

two of the exact same cabanas, booked on the exact same day, booked by the exact same method, for people sailing on the same sailing two different cabin categories, with different prices.

you have nothing but a theory.

And that theory doesn't even make sense as it would amount to RCCL giving a discount for absolutely no reason or gain to themselves.

Have you ever heard of RCCL giving somebody a discount and not even telling them they were doing it.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

That's good.  Perhaps a couple other people didn't know it and came up with the wrong pricing for that reason.

The $319-$399 pricing is quite reasonable @$53-66 per person for a full day with a cabana (water, towels, and attendant, and food included). Those $1K and above prices...nope.

We may book a Thrill Park cabana if the price is around $400-$500, but even then, the prices are rather high, once you take into consideration that you are only at CocoCay for 7-8 hours max, and then, your actual usage time is less than that.  Considering that RCI will rent out that same cabana several times per week, they are making a nice profit.

Below is directly from booking on my cruise 6/14.  Prices are not always the same. Price is PER cabana

Price is per cabana and includes access for up to 8 people.

NUMBER OF CABANAS
select123456789101112
DAY - DATEDay 6 - 19 Jun 2019
LANGUAGEEnglish
TIME8:30 AM - $1,149.00 USD Price Per Cabana
NEXT

Price is per cabana and includes access for up to 8 people.

NUMBER OF CABANAS

DAY - DATE
Day 6 - 19 Jun 2019
LANGUAGE
English
TIME
8:30 AM - $1,149.00 USD Price Per Cabana
NEXT

5 hours ago, A2Mich said:

We may book a Thrill Park cabana if the price is around $400-$500, but even then, the prices are rather high, once you take into consideration that you are only at CocoCay for 7-8 hours max, and then, your actual usage time is less than that.  Considering that RCI will rent out that same cabana several times per week, they are making a nice profit.

No doubt it's a money maker...but of course their water, towels (laundry), food, and cabana attendant likely cost them at least 1/2 of the price.  The lowest price seen so far on the Water Thrill Park cabanas (which include admission there) is $399.  We're OK with the $53 per person price for all those amenities.

5 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

No doubt it's a money maker...but of course their water, towels (laundry), food, and cabana attendant likely cost them at least 1/2 of the price.  The lowest price seen so far on the Water Thrill Park cabanas (which include admission there) is $399.  We're OK with the $53 per person price for all those amenities.

For $399 for a Thrill Park cabana, I would most likely book one, if the kids decide they want to do the water park.  They may opt to just do a basic no-frills beach day.

• Like 1

For $1k+, that cabana better be 5-star with A/C, a golden commode and Beyoncé herself serenading me all day - not an open-air wooden shack!

Seriously though, I think Royal is just throwing these prices out to see who is willing to pay what, before they decide on a range of prices.  History tells them that people are willing to pay (arguably) absurd prices for cabanas on Labadee (I know, I know, it comes with a cooler of water, floating mats and grandpa has a place to sit for the day!)  

Quote all the cabana discussion threads you want but I don't believe they would charge inside cabins $1k and suites $400.  Someone hit the wrong button on that algorithm!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, momofmab said:

Quote all the cabana discussion threads you want but I don't believe they would charge inside cabins $1k and suites $400.  Someone hit the wrong button on that algorithm!

With C&A status & Suite cabins come advantages...that's nothing new. Since these cabanas regularly sell out...their "algorithm" likely puts lower status and inside cabins near the bottom of the list.  Agree that paying $1000-$1300 for a one-day cabana is exorbitant.

Price fluctuation is by the time of the season, not what cabin you are in. Our chill island cabana did not drop or increase in price when we downgraded our cabin from Star to Sky Class.  It remained $395.

Edited by A&L_Ont

6 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Price fluctuation is by the time of the season, not what cabin you are in. Our chill island cabana did not drop or increase in price when we downgraded our cabin from Star to Sky Class. 

That's absolutely one factor, but not the only one. Once you get a Suite or above or else Diamond status or above...nearly any "downgrade" won't matter.

So to circle back to the original question...but not at just any price.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

2 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

That's absolutely one factor, but not the only one. Once you get a Suite or above or else Diamond status or above...nearly any "downgrade" won't matter.

The same Chill Island cabana is almost $600 for March. Time of year fluctuates indeed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The same Chill Island cabana is almost $600 for March. Time of year fluctuates indeed.

We've both acknowledged that more than once...but its important to note that its only one of multiple factors in their pricing algorithm.

18 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

We've both acknowledged that more than once...but its important to note that its only one of multiple factors in their pricing algorithm.

Royal is loyal to money, they are not giving discounts on cabanas to suite guests or high Level C&A levels.  They already have that group snagged for life, so please logically explain why they might discount cabanas for loyalty.

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Royal is loyal to money, they are not giving discounts on cabanas to suite guests or high Level C&A levels.  They already have that group snagged for life, so please logically explain why they might discount cabanas for loyalty.

No one has to "explain" their marketing strategy on cabanas on Coco Cay...it is what it is...and rather than making it complicated...it's basically supply and demand like most other pricing models.

The supply is limited, the demand usually higher during peak times...and without any Suite-specific section on the island...they use multiple factors to reduce the pricing to those who pay the most for their cabins and/or have paid more to Royal over time (C&A status).  That's not unique, revolutionary, or profound in any way. Very similar to Labadee in terms of this concept.

Is it really a similar equation to Labadee?  I haven't seen any topics addressing insides paying more for cabanas on Labadee than suites.

I do agree that time of year would affect the price (and general demand for the product) but not type of cabin (especially not insides paying remarkably more than suites).  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

No one has to "explain" their marketing strategy on cabanas on Coco Cay...it is what it is...and rather than making it complicated...it's basically supply and demand like most other pricing models.

The supply is limited, the demand usually higher during peak times...and without any Suite-specific section on the island...they use multiple factors to reduce the pricing to those who pay the most for their cabins and/or have paid more to Royal over time (C&A status).  That's not unique, revolutionary, or profound in any way. Very similar to Labadee in terms of this concept.

I agree with you first paragraph, no need to explain supply and demand.  My explain comment/question was to why you think there would be fluctuations to specific cruisers in cabin or C&A loyalty.  RC won't even let you combine bookable OBC with shareholder OBC for the consumer to save money.  They only allow the same small discount for a balcony bookings to loyal cruisers, from a basic balcony to Star Class.  Why would they pass along cabana savings?

Your second paragraph is not as straight forward.  Some cabanas are not located in the exculsive area, those being Chill Island, Oasis Lagoon, and the Wave Pool Water Park cabanas. The more exclusive cabana area will be limited to entry, like a beach or country club.  As for the "country club area" of the island it isn't completed, let alone bookable to anyone as of now.  One might consider that Star Class will get first pick and then it will go from there, like in Labadee.  That however is pure speculation/assumption.

As of now it is unknown how these more exclusive cabanas will be bookable; only on the ship or on-online, not to mention if there is any cabin or any C&A status preferance.  As for your comment of demand being higher, when the ships sail full there is no change in demand or logical reasons for them to be discounted.  

As for your last sentence you stated, "That's not unique, revolutionary, or profound in any way. Very similar to Labadee in terms of this concept".  Actually your theory would be totally different than Labadee.  In Labadee all Barefoot Beach specific cabanas, such as Over the Water, are charged the same rate across the board.  Doesn't matter if you are Star, Pinnacle, or D+.  Even a non-suite cruiser that happens to get one, that is left over, is not charged more.  Also, these prices do not change over the calendar year for a high or low season.  Having been to Labadee close to 15 times, with a cabana each time, I can reassure you that we have not a discount in our Star/Sky Class cabin while being Diamond and Diamond +.  

It is not comparable to your suggestion at Perfect Day at CoCo Cay in any way.  The only similarity between the two locations is that Pinnacles will get access to the exclusive area without a cabana being booked or any fee, due to their loyalty.  No one else as of now will get this access.  Perhaps they might offer it to Star Class, with no cabana being booked.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Yeah...uh huh...who'd want to consider information coming from a senior person at RCI that confirms what we already know. 🤔 

Nobody has seen or heard that information but you, you have provided 0 proof.

I can say I have top level information that the MDR is going to exclusively serviced by McDonalds next year.

doesn't make it true.

and in all of this you still can not explain what would that pricing structure gain Royal?

how does it help them? 

it doesn't. so why would they do it.

your theory just doesn't hold water.

But hey, since you have the connections why not get something in writing to prove your point,

Bet you cant.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Slark said:

As the OP, I am intrigued to read all the pricing mechanism scenarios, but my real question is are the cabañas worth anything like $500-$1,200?

I really think that's subjective.  We've rented cabanas before, and to us, $500-$600 would be a decent price for a cabana if you had a group.  If it's only the two of us, we personally would pass.  $1099 is definitely out of the question for two of us,  and would probably even pass if we could pull together a group of 8.  

But that's us.  Others could feel differently.  :classic_smile:

OK...people want to hear what they want to hear, read what they choose to read, and know what they think they know. We have all the "proof we need" and the results having proven spot on - to us and a few others as well. Those needing proof are welcome to seek it on their own.

Others get the facts from the direct source. Feel free to believe what you want, but rest assured...some of us will get cabanas at the lower prices whenever we choose knowing the correct formula. We also had cabanas on Labadee, and while both the types, quality, and costs are somewhat different, there is also a formula for how that pricing works. They are more expensive (in general), but discounts can be gotten knowing how thing work.

Enjoy your cabana for those who choose one. We certainly will. Hopefully others gain the pricing they can afford.

22 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

OK...people want to hear what they want to hear, read what they choose to read, and know what they think they know. We have all the "proof we need" and the results having proven spot on - to us and a few others as well. Those needing proof are welcome to seek it on their own.

Others get the facts from the direct source. Feel free to believe what you want, but rest assured...some of us will get cabanas at the lower prices whenever we choose knowing the correct formula. We also had cabanas on Labadee, and while both the types, quality, and costs are somewhat different, there is also a formula for how that pricing works. They are more expensive (in general), but discounts can be gotten knowing how thing work.

Enjoy your cabana for those who choose one. We certainly will. Hopefully others gain the pricing they can afford.

Please share with us, how do you get a discount on a cabana at Labadee?  Where the price is set in stone for each level, and has only gone up over the years. I’d like in on that deal, and others reading this thread would as well. 

We had a discount there once for our water front cabana from our Genie, when it rained for there for a good part of the morning. I’d call that a one off situation.  It sure isn’t one from getting to know the formula of the system. 

Edited by A&L_Ont