Most cost effective way to do Callwood Distillery and a mini island tour

Dtk00

We only have a partial day in Tortola with our ship leaving port at 1:30pm. I would be content with a visit to Callwood Distillery and maybe an scenic drive while getting to and from the cruise port and spend the rest of our free time within walking distance of the port. What would be the most cost effective way to do this with 3 people? What would be a ballpark price to budget for this?

Just hop one of the shared safari taxis going to Cane Garden Bay where the distillery is located. $8pp each way, and you will see some of the island as well as some great views of the other islands on the way. 

For a better tour, drivers at the dock offer 3 - 4 hour island tours - some with a stop in CGB - for ~$25pp...

You can just check with the ladies at the pier information center when you arrive and they can help you decide, no need to pre-plan this.

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

I’m interested in doing something similar, if I was to get a taxi over to cane garden bay, how easy is it to find one going back to the port & where would be the best place near callwood distillery to find it? 

When you arrive you will find there are several restaurants and beach bars in the bay as well as homes and apartments. The distillery is on there wast end of the busy area, near Quito's place. So it is a busy bay, and taxis come and go throughout the day to pick folks up. 

Many on your ship will take the ship excursion to CGB, but it is probably cheaper to just hop a taxi and if you want to rent lounges/umbrellas you can do that on your own. Myett's is our favorite place to stay when we stay on Tortola and is a good spot for lunch.

• 2 months later...

I did a tour of Callwood distillery last weekend. In my opinion, do it as part of a 3-4  

hour island tour, but don't make a special trip just for the distillery. The tour really isn't a tour. You meet inside the building and some one talks about the four rums and gives you a less than half ounce sample of each. The whole process takes less than five minutes.

Edited by mets123
Spellings

Yes the most cost-effective way to get there is the shared taxi, and you can enjoy a great lunch on the beach at Myett’s/Pusser’s while there. But if not interested in the beach, or you are wanting to see more of the island than the taxi ride would provide, you are right, it should be part of a tour. Great rum!

Edited by blue_water