End of Daylight Saving

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I  can see why Daylight Saving could appeal for the Southern States. Northern Queensland and NT

Don't southern Queenslanders want it then?  My brother and sister live at Currumbin/Nerang, they would like Daylight Saving.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Don't southern Queenslanders want it then?  My brother and sister live at Currumbin/Nerang, they would like Daylight Saving.

Maybe your brother and sister are influenced by the inconvenience of having a 'Daylight-Saving State' next door!

Yes - many southern Queenslanders do want daylight saving, but most of them are too young to have experienced it when Queensland had it in the late 1960s. In addition, they are probably not thinking of people in the western and northern parts of the State where I believe the majority don't want it. It has been suggested that Daylight Saving would be brought in just for the South East of the State, but the government has ruled that out. A split system would be very confusing - much worse than having the present situation of different times in adjoining states for part of the year.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe your brother and sister are influenced by the inconvenience of having a 'Daylight-Saving State' next door!

Yes - many southern Queenslanders do want daylight saving, but most of them are too young to have experienced it when Queensland had it in the late 1960s. In addition, they are probably not thinking of people in the western and northern parts of the State where I believe the majority don't want it. It has been suggested that Daylight Saving would be brought in just for the South East of the State, but the government has ruled that out. A split system would be very confusing - much worse than having the present situation of different times in adjoining states for part of the year.

Wasn't it in 1971-72, that other than during both wars that Queensland introduced daylight saving for a year or so? At the same time as SA, Vic, NSW and ACT. Tassie had commenced it a couple of years earlier.

Leigh

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

My brother who lives in Currumbin would love it as it would give  more darkness to sleep in the morning plus more daylight later in the day to relax and do outdoor stuff.

Leigh

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Wasn't it in 1971-72, that other than during both wars that Queensland introduced daylight saving for a year or so? At the same time as SA, Vic, NSW and ACT. Tassie had commenced it a couple of years earlier.

Leigh

Probably was in 71-71, now that you mention it. I am thinking about what I was doing at the time we had Daylight Saving.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I think its good riddance to rubbish. The whole system should be abolished. Not suitable here in Australia in our climate. When you get up early the morning sun is great. Also if we abolished daylight saving it would allow people to enjoy the evening more out of the extreme heat when it has cooled somewhat after the sun has set.

As per normal a typical one sided view that may be very applicable in many parts of Australia but just doesn't apply to many other parts. With Australia being so large the bulk of the Australian land mass lies between latitudes 10 degrees 41 minutes (10°41´) south (Cape York, Queensland) and 43°38´ south (South East Cape, Tasmania), and between longitudes 113°09´ east (Steep Point, Western Australia) and 153°38´ east (Cape Byron, New South Wales and temperature regions stretching from Tropical to Alpine.

I do not begrudge NT and QLD for not having it as it wouldn't make much sense. As for the southern areas, especially Tassie, it makes perfect sense.

51 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

As per normal a typical one sided view that may be very applicable in many parts of Australia but just doesn't apply to many other parts. With Australia being so large the bulk of the Australian land mass lies between latitudes 10 degrees 41 minutes (10°41´) south (Cape York, Queensland) and 43°38´ south (South East Cape, Tasmania), and between longitudes 113°09´ east (Steep Point, Western Australia) and 153°38´ east (Cape Byron, New South Wales and temperature regions stretching from Tropical to Alpine.

I do not begrudge NT and QLD for not having it as it wouldn't make much sense. As for the southern areas, especially Tassie, it makes perfect sense.

Agreed. Many people do not consider the size of Australia and its different climatic zones.  

14 hours ago, Docker123 said:

Didn’t Queensland have a trial for several years in the 90s leading a referendum that did not approve for permanent introduction?

Anyway, in Melbourne I love it.

Yes. The trial was in 1971-72 (don't the years fly!). I cannot remember a later trial.🙂

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

The problem is Queensland is too large, Southern QLD may well cope reasonably with daylight saving but a cut off say around the top of Brisbane or the Sunshine Coast should be the limit.

As I mentioned earlier, this has been suggested but rejected by the State government as it would be too confusing.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Faded?

get Shutter's. LOl

Love Day-light saving. Come home from work, walk to supermarket to get tea (There's my daily excerise). Cook-it still daylight. Now can't walk. it's DARK. Finish 5:45 in NSW.

Great also cause I work Week-ends. Could leave work at 4:00 & have a round of golf before sun sets; during Dec, Jan & feb....