What happens if for medical reason you can't use the Medallion?

dinojude

My DH has implants that prevent him from using the Medallion.  We were on the Regal Princess in December/January and were not sent in advance the Medallion so had no problem upon checking in to request the ship card only.  We are booked on the Sky Princess for the holidays and then later on the Caribbean Princess.  Who do we contact in advance to make sure that the Medallion is not mailed to our home because we can't use them.  Also, we usually leave for Florida a week or two in advance of our sailing so it won't reach us for either sailings. I appreciate any insight you can give us on how to handle this.  Thanks very much.

My first medallion cruise I was told at check in that the medallion had a magnet in it.  I ask and was given a cruise card instead.  I am trusting that the Princess check in lady was giving me correct info. 

3 hours ago, geocruiser said:

My first medallion cruise I was told at check in that the medallion had a magnet in it.  I ask and was given a cruise card instead.  I am trusting that the Princess check in lady was giving me correct info. 

That person is not a Princess employee.

Once the changeover is complete the only system in place will be the medallions. So really you will be left with two option, 1) Find a way to make the cruise work with it.  2) Cruise with someone else. This is the system Princess will be using, they new ships in the future, will not even have card readers on them.

12 hours ago, dinojude said:

My DH has implants that prevent him from using the Medallion.  We were on the Regal Princess in December/January and were not sent in advance the Medallion so had no problem upon checking in to request the ship card only.  We are booked on the Sky Princess for the holidays and then later on the Caribbean Princess.  Who do we contact in advance to make sure that the Medallion is not mailed to our home because we can't use them.  Also, we usually leave for Florida a week or two in advance of our sailing so it won't reach us for either sailings. I appreciate any insight you can give us on how to handle this.  Thanks very much.

I think this is an issue you really need to take up with Princess (and I'm usually the first person to say you get a more accurate  answer on here).

Call and ask to speak to a supervisor . Be firm but friendly. This isn't something a phone rep would know but the higher-ups would.

You can't be the only person with this problem and I'm sure they've addressed it corporately.

12 minutes ago, chamima said:

I think this is an issue you really need to take up with Princess (and I'm usually the first person to say you get a more accurate  answer on here).

Call and ask to speak to a supervisor . Be firm but friendly. This isn't something a phone rep would know but the higher-ups would.

You can't be the only person with this problem and I'm sure they've addressed it corporately.

Doesn't Disney use the same technology?

Any issues with Disney?

Lets change this up take the tech out of  of this. A Guest has a medical certification that says they cannot be on a cruise if any peanut produces are on the ship. They tell Princess to remove all peanuts from the ship or they will not cruise. What does Princess do? They tell the guests thank you but we cannot accommodate your needs.

Princess is spending millions on this tech, it is how guests will do everything on the ship in the future. They will not and cannot keep a outdated card system. They must move forward, and they will. Really find it almost impossible to believe they Princess did not completely test these products and get proof they are safe for all passengers.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CruisenOne said:

Doesn't Disney use the same technology?

Any issues with Disney?

They hired someone from Disney to implement this. Not sure if it is the same technology.

1 hour ago, myjillian said:

I would think that you would have a choice of using a card...my husband collects the cards and would be very upset if he couldn't have one for his collection😂

Me too but looking forward to collecting medallions. Will be no choice soon.

1 hour ago, chamima said:

34 minutes ago, pizzalady1 said:

Instead of guessing about a health problem, email the access department to get a correct answer. A customer service employee won't know and will give any answer they feel like at the moment.

And please come back on here after you do and let us all know.

There´s no battery inside. Isn´t it just an RFID chip inside? I can´t think of any medical problems with that.

From the Princess FAQs:

Will I be able to opt out of or turn off this new technology?
If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" and enjoy the cruise the same great way you do today.

So you should be able to "unable" the Medallion.

steamboats

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, steamboats said:

There´s no battery inside. Isn´t it just an RFID chip inside? I can´t think of any medical problems with that.

I am thinking there probably is a battery inside. Probably a 30-60 day or short life battery. I don't know for sure and have never seen one. Just thinking the technology needs a battery of some sort. I am amazed at how little is said on Princess's website about the technology.

OP - please call Princess directly and ask a supervisor for details.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I am thinking there probably is a battery inside. Probably a 30-60 day or short life battery.

Here in this video it´s say "it requires no charging". As you can use it for more than just one cruise I don´t think there´s any battery involved.

Unfortunately the Medallion FAQ does not mention anything regarding a battery or medical problems.

steamboats

When we received the medalian on Royal Princess in March 23rd cruise, I think there was a note attached with a warning. I removed it since it didn't apply to us but had to due with pacemakers.Sorry, I really didn't pay attention to what it actually said. On that cruise we had to use both the medalian and cruise card for everything we did (exit and enter ship, pay for items etc)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Here in this video it´s say "it requires no charging". As you can use it for more than just one cruise I don´t think there´s any battery involved.

Unfortunately the Medallion FAQ does not mention anything regarding a battery or medical problems.

steamboats

Though it doesn't say you can use it forever. I used to work for a company that issued wrist bands for alzheimer's patients that would notify someone when they wandered. They came in 90 day or 1 year battery life. This was 20 years ago I worked for them. The wrist bands were small back then.

I have no clue what technology they use as Princess is very vague about it. I wish they would just spell it out so we don't keep asking about it. Someone mentioned it used blue-tooth technology. If so, that would require a battery. 

Edited by Coral

When I called Princess about this problem (I also have a pacemaker) they said it had an RFID chip and advised me to NOT WEAR IT ON THE LANYARD, but to keep it in a pants pocket away from my chest.

Since I am female, that can be challenging when I am wearing clothing without pockets....

I will carry a small bag and put it in there.