What happens if for medical reason you can't use the Medallion?

dinojude

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I am thinking there probably is a battery inside. Probably a 30-60 day or short life battery. I don't know for sure and have never seen one. Just thinking the technology needs a battery of some sort. I am amazed at how little is said on Princess's website about the technology.

OP - please call Princess directly and ask a supervisor for details.

There are two types of RFID chips, active and passive.  Active chips have an embedded battery - passive (the majority) do not.  The FDA is not aware of any adverse events associated with RFID.  That said, they do say "there is concern about the potential hazard of electromagnetic interference (EMI) to electronic medical devices from radio frequency transmitters like RFID."  

As it is really hard to avoid RFID scanners, I think the FDA, with an overabundance of caution, is saying there is a POTENTIAL for EMI from any source to interfere with medical devices, and while they are not aware of RFID scanners causing any problems, they acknowledge the THEORETICAL potential.

Consider the number of people who shop at stores that have RFID scanners at the exits to stop shoplifters who don't get an item's RFID chip deactivated at the register, or all the employees who have RFID enabled employee badges that they hold to a scanner to open doors, etc.,  and it would seem that if EMI from RFID was causing problems the FDA would know about it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, mnocket said:

There are two types of RFID chips, active and passive.  Active chips have an embedded battery - passive (the majority) do not.  The FDA is not aware of any adverse events associated with RFID.  That said, they do say "there is concern about the potential hazard of electromagnetic interference (EMI) to electronic medical devices from radio frequency transmitters like RFID."  

Thanks for the info - I just wish I could find on Princess's website what exactly is in the medallion. I should also say that I have nothing that would medically impact me except for some metals that cause contact dermatitis (such as where I would wear a watch, it would happen on my wrist). 

There have been multiple questions that come up such as pacemakers or cochlear implants and I wish Princess would just specify on the website what technology they are using.

I agree most RFID technology will not affect most of us. There is just so much confusion - we don't know if it contains a battery or not. 

6 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Someone was kind enough to post this for me on Facebook when I asked the same question. I hope this helps. 

F63222C9-68C0-4C5B-B63B-0AF8C38E7A1C.jpeg

A0FFBC70-AF35-41F6-8748-2DFD935B58D8.jpeg

Thank you!

So magnets and no batteries?

No pacemakers and other sensitive medical equipment within 6".

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coral said:

Thank you!

So magnets and no batteries?

No pacemakers and other sensitive medical equipment within 6".

You’re welcome. I know people are considering putting it in a small cross body purse but what happens when you sit down with that purse on your lap will it be too close to your chest? 

10 minutes ago, AZJerry said:

Others have said they had to have their medallions replaced due to the batttery running down.

My medallion has battery issues on my last cruise and they had to replace it.  It was only a few days into the cruise.

Thank you everybody for your prompt responses to my post re not able to use the Medallion.  First, we have been loyal Princess cruisers for many years and as one poster suggested that we look for a cruise line that does not employ this system...that to me is an insensitive reply. Nor, if I had a nut allergy would I expect the cruise line to cease  offering nuts!  Faced with the potential situation with the Medallion, I simply put it out on Cruise Critic to find out if any of you have dealt with the problem/or will be dealing with it and what have you/or are you doing about it.

I appreciate the quote of keeping it 6" away from the medical implants.  On a lanyard it is impossible and the option of wearing it on the wrist would require constant vigilance that he would not bring it near the chest or face areas. On our b2b Regal cruises in December/January, he was given the regular card to use...no problem from Princess personnel. 

However, I have been led to believe from reading  postings on Cruise Critic that this option  will not be available for our next cruises in December/January. So, I posted the question to all of you for some guidance/experience with this type of situation.  You have been very helpful!  I will let you know when I find out the answer to my questions about the Medallion.

Again, thanks very much for your thoughtful replies to my question.

• Like 1

I keep the Medallion in my pocket which seems to work just fine.  I am fairly certain it uses RFID tech where an externally applied radio wave can read the chip in the Medallion.  I would ask Princess if the Medallion has a signal boost battery.  I don't see why it would need a magnet.  Princess will know.

The magnet might be used to "fix" the Medallion in the certain devices (bracelet, wristband, necklace...). But it has nothing to do with the RFID chip.

RFID chips (the inactive ones) are used very highly in labels on clothing (as theft protection), for medical purposes, in passports... They are even used in supermarkets. It´s not the chip itself causing the problems for pacemakers and other electronic medical implants but the RFID scanner which is "sending" out an electromagnetic field to provide the energy for the chip and read it. So the problem is getting close to a scanner.

steamboats

I would highly suggest that you speak with your physician and the implant manufacturer regarding all the concerns you have - magnet, RFID, etc..  For years there have been warnings about various magnetic items and implants.  Recent implant developments have changed these restrictions.  In the medical arena it is necessary to put a very large magnet directly on ones chest to alter implant settings.  The magnet or whatever in the medallion may be perfectly safe to  use.  I would want to know for sure (perhaps you already do) but often the concern is based on old, not current info.  

• Like 1

According to info provided by Tony Roberts, Vice President Princess Cruises UK and Europe the Medallion uses two types of technology:

Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE)

Near Field Communication (NFC)

Sorry, but entire argument is specious. Your claim that he can't use OM for EF reasons. First problem, the OM has three embedded chips with three separate frequencies. If you opt out, you are issued with a cruise card with TWO EMBEDDED CHIPS. Since all the locks were swapped out, this is the only way to open your cabin. Your on a ship with 4000 other people (pax and crew). So if your husband can't carry the OM, what happens when he's surrounded by 12,000 EF chips?

• Like 1

I would recommend contacting the company that makes your devices and pose the question to them. Contact Princess and ask for the specifics of the medallion such as battery use, RFID chips, radio frequency etc. Once you have all the info from Princess then contact your device vendor and ask them what they recommend for you to do. To be honest, technology is only going to advance and medical device makers know this and are making devices that can be compatible with all of them. I myself have a pacemaker, spinal cord stimulator, and pain pump. At the airport I have to go thru the scanner that allows the hands to be placed on my head. Usually this still requires a pat down do the implanted devices. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Sorry, but entire argument is specious. Your claim that he can't use OM for EF reasons. First problem, the OM has three embedded chips with three separate frequencies. If you opt out, you are issued with a cruise card with TWO EMBEDDED CHIPS. Since all the locks were swapped out, this is the only way to open your cabin. Your on a ship with 4000 other people (pax and crew). So if your husband can't carry the OM, what happens when he's surrounded by 12,000 EF chips?

I think the OP was just trying to find out what technology was used and how it would work with their spouse's medical situation. There is new technology for Princess and they just want to be prepared. Give them a break. I would rather have someone research a situation before arriving on a ship than not be prepared.

• Like 3

On 4/7/2019 at 8:28 PM, dinojude said:

Thank you everybody for your prompt responses to my post re not able to use the Medallion.  First, we have been loyal Princess cruisers for many years and as one poster suggested that we look for a cruise line that does not employ this system...that to me is an insensitive reply. Nor, if I had a nut allergy would I expect the cruise line to cease  offering nuts!  Faced with the potential situation with the Medallion, I simply put it out on Cruise Critic to find out if any of you have dealt with the problem/or will be dealing with it and what have you/or are you doing about it.

I appreciate the quote of keeping it 6" away from the medical implants.  On a lanyard it is impossible and the option of wearing it on the wrist would require constant vigilance that he would not bring it near the chest or face areas. On our b2b Regal cruises in December/January, he was given the regular card to use...no problem from Princess personnel. 

However, I have been led to believe from reading  postings on Cruise Critic that this option  will not be available for our next cruises in December/January. So, I posted the question to all of you for some guidance/experience with this type of situation.  You have been very helpful!  I will let you know when I find out the answer to my questions about the Medallion.

Again, thanks very much for your thoughtful replies to my question.

I was on the Caribbean Princess end of March when it went "totally" medallion. Only medallions were issued to boarding passengers on March 21.  However, anyone who had a medical issue, specifically a pacemaker or defibulator,  was issued a cruise card.  In fact, they were not even given the medallion as a souvenir.  This was told to me by a man ordering his specialty coffee with his cruise card (Coffee and liquor packages are loaded to cruise cards). 

Also, I did not have my medallion pre sent to my house..just picked it up at port..very quick.  There must be a way to notify Princess to have a cruise card waiting for you..just as you can preorder a special diet request.

A question I wish I asked the gentleman with the pacemaker, I met on board was.. Was it okay for him to go into an elevator packed with other passengers with their medallions hanging from their neck?  

BTW  Medallions only good for current cruise..non reusable, then they become magnets for the refrigerator...what a waste!

On 4/7/2019 at 8:44 AM, steamboats said:

There´s no battery inside. Isn´t it just an RFID chip inside? I can´t think of any medical problems with that.

From the Princess FAQs:

Will I be able to opt out of or turn off this new technology?
If you do not want to take advantage of the full Ocean Medallion experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "Safety Only" and enjoy the cruise the same great way you do today.

So you should be able to "unable" the Medallion.

steamboats

"Safety only" means that the Medallion remains fully functional, but the real-time tracking of it will not be passed

to "marketing" folks -- Security and the Bridge get told, but not your bartender, cabin steward, MDR waitstaff, etc.

The Medallion has both RFID (requiring no battery) and Bluetooth/low energy (which does).  Bluetooth supposedly

"poses little or no risk".  But if I wore one, I'd have very detailed conversations with both Princess and my doctor. 

• Like 1

When I was taught about RF energy and the likely effects on humans, The phrase "Prudent Avoidance" was used.

We can't escape the background radiation but it is wise to avoid what we can without going to extremes and missing out of the benefits of RF devices and living in the comunity.

Don't build the children's playground under high voltage power lines, don't stand in front of high power transmitter antennas and don't hang an active RF device close to your pacemaker for extended lengths of time.

You can't do much about those around you, but you can live without a medallion.

Jim

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 5:30 AM, Expat Cruise said:

Once the changeover is complete the only system in place will be the medallions. So really you will be left with two option, 1) Find a way to make the cruise work with it.  2) Cruise with someone else. This is the system Princess will be using, they new ships in the future, will not even have card readers on them.

I hope to say on the old ships and use the cruise card, it works