Is it a safe port to do an excursion on your own

smalltimecruiser100

Its not that Roatan isn't safe to do an excursion on your own, it is just not easy to do.  Taxis are not regulated, so you have no guarantee on price or whether you can get back.  Roatan is a very rugged jungle island, and no real cities.  It has little villages, very spread out, very primitive compared to what you might expect, with the exception of the few tourist areas.  You are better off doing an organized excursion.  Don't stay on the ship!  it is a beautiful island with great beaches and snorkeling and ziplines and monkeys and ...  lots to do, just take a private or ship excursion.

If you do not wish to....there is absolutely no reason to take a ship organized excursion. 

There are various ways to get about without having to deal with the unregulated taxi, one of those is private tour with one of the many reputable companies. 

Click through the threads here, the tour company websites (Bodden and Rony come to mind but there are others)or Trip Advisor for the many options on entertainment. Once you decide what you wish to do we may be able to better help you with transport. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g292019-Activities-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Trust me it's easy!
I've visited twice solo.  The first time I booked a private tour with Rony.  I wanted to visit and do what I wanted without others.  The pricing for the my tour was very reasonable.  I also loved the fact the places I wanted to enjoy longer or shorter I could without others.

Highlight was lunch!

The second time I booked a day pass with one of the resorts.  While the resort was fair.  The only issue I had was there were others on my ship who also booked the same and after waiting a hour for them to arrive at the meeting spot, we left.  Mad because this took a hour from my time.

At the beach no issue being solo same at the resort pool area.

I travel both cruises, local, nationally and international solo a lot.  The main thing is plan and be aware