Currently on the Horizon

Gettys84

38 minutes ago, cpayne said:

On RCL you can buy the internet by the 24 hr period.   Is that an option on CCL? We have 4 port days and won’t need it those days as we always stop at a local bar, etc to “test” a local beverage and use free WiFi.   We just like an hr/day or so to check in with our Bow Wow Nanny, etc....

Here is the on board price!

B9ED315B-B3EE-48D9-B770-AF7CBA1AC3ED.png

cpayne

Does anyone have pictures of the Havana balconies?   We are sailing next month and after finding these photos the Havana balcony was not for us.  There is a walkway in front of the cabins and a clear barrier.  Not sure if there are normal balconies on decks higher than deck 5 that are included in the Havana category.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-horizon-1185/havana-cabana-cabin-413207/havana-cabana-cabin--v18485912/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-horizon-1185/havana-cabana-cabin-413207/

3 minutes ago, destiny217 said:

cpayne

Does anyone have pictures of the Havana balconies?   We are sailing next month and after finding these photos the Havana balcony was not for us.  There is a walkway in front of the cabins and a clear barrier.  Not sure if there are normal balconies on decks higher than deck 5 that are included in the Havana category.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-horizon-1185/havana-cabana-cabin-413207/havana-cabana-cabin--v18485912/

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/carnival-horizon-1185/havana-cabana-cabin-413207/

Well those links just made our decision for us.  No thanks.  Definitely not for us.   The balcony itself is AMAZING!  Now if it just didn’t have that walking path in front of it and the balcony was directly up to the edge of the ship!  Thank you for sharing the links.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cpayne said:

I always take reviews with a grain of salt especially on this site as contributors are becoming increasingly cranky for some unknown reason.

We were in Curaçao this past Nov for 10 days for the 21st annual honeymoon. The day before we left we discovered you could rappel from the Queen Julianne Bridge!   Was too late for us to schedule this prior to our departure and vowed to absolutely come back for that reason. Nothing like celebrating 60 years by jumping from the tallest bridge in the Caribbean!

Several people mentioned the high prices of hotels in Miami for next spring. Our Cuba cruise left from Miami on March 3 last month.  When planning this trip a year out I too noticed the obscene  prices of hotels in Miami. We ended up booking three rooms at the Intercontinental on either Black Friday or cyber Monday for $118 per room. They had been going for approximately $200 per night for the same week with no discounts. Just something for others to watch for who also think the Miami hotel prices are out of control.  

Can you tell us how much the Internet package was by chance for one device?

There's a handful of people here on the Carnival forums who seem to enjoy starting trouble on a regular basis. They'd rather lead with harsh criticism, rudeness, and condescending remarks. Unfortunately, they're often the loudest voices in the forum, which makes for a pretty unpleasant environment. I wish they weren't allowed to run roughshod so much.

I'm going to have to look into the Queen Julianne Bridge jump. Is it rappelling or bungee jumping?

It isn't just the Miami hotels that have skyrocketed. We stayed at the same Ft. Lauderdale hotel twice in the last few years. Last year it was about $105/night, after taxes. To book next March, it's $220/night. I don't know what the heck is going on.

Here's the information and prices of Carnival's three internet packages: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

3 hours ago, cpayne said:

On RCL you can buy the internet by the 24 hr period.   Is that an option on CCL? We have 4 port days and won’t need it those days as we always stop at a local bar, etc to “test” a local beverage and use free WiFi.   We just like an hr/day or so to check in with our Bow Wow Nanny, etc....

The Value and Premium plans can be purchased for 24-hour periods, but not the lowest (Social) plan. Check out the link I posted above for prices & info.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

There's a handful of people here on the Carnival forums who seem to enjoy starting trouble on a regular basis. They'd rather lead with harsh criticism, rudeness, and condescending remarks. Unfortunately, they're often the loudest voices in the forum, which makes for a pretty unpleasant environment. I wish they weren't allowed to run roughshod so much.

I'm going to have to look into the Queen Julianne Bridge jump. Is it rappelling or bungee jumping?

It isn't just the Miami hotels that have skyrocketed. We stayed at the same Ft. Lauderdale hotel twice in the last few years. Last year it was about $105/night, after taxes. To book next March, it's $220/night. I don't know what the heck is going on.

Here's the information and prices of Carnival's three internet packages: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

The Value and Premium plans can be purchased for 24-hour periods, but not the lowest (Social) plan. Check out the link I posted above for prices & info.

It's actually rappelling from the Julianne Bridge.  Here is a link to the information I posted on Trip Advisor about this activity: 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147277-i583-k12078142-Repel_the_Julianne_Bridge-Curacao.html

It's not a widely publicized activity.  It's offered by a local Police Officer.  You do need to arrange several days in advance because he needs to obtain permits from the city, etc..... 

If you do this please report back! 

1 hour ago, cpayne said:

It's actually rappelling from the Julianne Bridge.  Here is a link to the information I posted on Trip Advisor about this activity: 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147277-i583-k12078142-Repel_the_Julianne_Bridge-Curacao.html

It's not a widely publicized activity.  It's offered by a local Police Officer.  You do need to arrange several days in advance because he needs to obtain permits from the city, etc..... 

If you do this please report back! 

Not sure I could get up the courage to try this!  I will stick with to live reviews from the ground/pizza line!!!  

On the Horizon now. With the value internet plan, web surfing and email (including corporate  Citrix virtual desktop on a MacBook Pro) work just fine. iMessage, regular text messages and internet calls work with value plan too.

With the premium internet plan, you can also stream video. So far, I’ve been able to stream movies on Netflix, watch the NFL draft on the watch ESPN app, and watch Game of Thrones on the HBO Go app.  Streaming works fine on deck as well as in the stateroom. Occasional stops for buffering, but not that bad. 

As for the pizza line, I can confirm that. the lines are generally short.  But that doesn’t mean there is actually any pizza to be had when you walk up. We have an aft room, so I come up to the lido deck at all times of day to get a drink and walk through the buffet. From reading this thread, I’ve done my own reconnaissance of the line. Hah! 

Most times, there are no slices of pizza ready. The entire round pizza (cut into four slices) fits on a regular plate.  So a lot of people just ask for the whole thing.  Even with a line of just 3 people, it will easily be about a ten minute wait for the (typically one) person to make the pizza and put it in the oven to cook. He is efficient, but it is a slow process.  So, expect a moderate wait. Not an eternity. We think the pizza is quite good. 

22 minutes ago, elephant98 said:

On the Horizon now. With the value internet plan, web surfing and email (including corporate  Citrix virtual desktop on a MacBook Pro) work just fine. iMessage, regular text messages and internet calls work with value plan too.

With the premium internet plan, you can also stream video. So far, I’ve been able to stream movies on Netflix, watch the NFL draft on the watch ESPN app, and watch Game of Thrones on the HBO Go app.  Streaming works fine on deck as well as in the stateroom. Occasional stops for buffering, but not that bad. 

As for the pizza line, I can confirm that. the lines are generally short.  But that doesn’t mean there is actually any pizza to be had when you walk up. We have an aft room, so I come up to the lido deck at all times of day to get a drink and walk through the buffet. From reading this thread, I’ve done my own reconnaissance of the line. Hah! 

Most times, there are no slices of pizza ready. The entire round pizza (cut into four slices) fits on a regular plate.  So a lot of people just ask for the whole thing.  Even with a line of just 3 people, it will easily be about a ten minute wait for the (typically one) person to make the pizza and put it in the oven to cook. He is efficient, but it is a slow process.  So, expect a moderate wait. Not an eternity. We think the pizza is quite good. 

Thank you so much for this post. I emailed Carnival to ask if streaming was now available on the Horizon and they told me no. I didn't want to pay in advance and couldn't get my money back.

1 hour ago, mrlddst said:

Thank you so much for this post. I emailed Carnival to ask if streaming was now available on the Horizon and they told me no. I didn't want to pay in advance and couldn't get my money back.

Technically, the answer you got from them was right. Officially, they only support Netflix on Horizon, Vista, and now Sunrise. But many people are reporting that other streaming services work, too. User SaintGreg has mentioned a few times that YouTube worked just about anywhere on Vista, so it's probably the same for Horizon. All the others that work are just welcome bonuses!

Edited by Organized Chaos

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has taken a lot of work but I have put together the first video for our channel we started.  I am still working on editing videos for the other days of the trip.  It has been very fun to learn how to edit.  I get better every time work on it!  We did not take enough video but our next cruise on the Sunshine we will make a full on Vlog of the trip!  Please watch and subscribe to the channel!  Maybe I should have named the channel "pizza line check" haha

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:16 PM, grumpytilicruise said:

Going on this cruise for our 25th in February. We can’t wait and after reading your awesome review, we are even more excited. Thank you for taking the time to write this and post all of the wonderful pictures. 

What day are you going next February?  My husband and I just booked our 25th Anniversary cruise for February 22, 2020.  Our anniversary is in May, but February worked the best for us.

15 hours ago, Gettys84 said:

Well it has taken a lot of work but I have put together the first video for our channel we started.  I am still working on editing videos for the other days of the trip.  It has been very fun to learn how to edit.  I get better every time work on it!  We did not take enough video but our next cruise on the Sunshine we will make a full on Vlog of the trip!  Please watch and subscribe to the channel!  Maybe I should have named the channel "pizza line check" haha

*mom pops into frame* "Hi, I'm the cruising buddy." - That was great.

Oh wow, another guy who tries on shirts in the middle of the store over the top of the shirt he's wearing. I thought I was the only one, I've never seen any other guy do this. To heck with going to the dressing room just to try a shirt real quick. Ain't nobody got time for that. My wife's even gotten to the point where she'll often hold onto the bottom of my shirt when I'm pulling off the new shirt so I don't show off my manly physique. No need to scare women & children.

We're dying to try Pasta Bella (the pasta bar). We were just talking about it over the weekend and wondering if it was open on embarkation day...you answered our question. But for me, that lunch is reserved for Guy's and I shall not deviate from my embarkation Guy's burger. But after that, pasta bar, here I come. We were trying to figure out where the heck it was. I said Gettys84 posted a picture of Cucina Del Capitano when he mentioned the pasta bar, so I think it's near there. But Pasta Bella isn't on the deck plans. I googled all over the place trying to find where it's at on the ship. It wasn't until I found a Horizon tour video on YouTube that I realized Pasta Bella is inside Cucina Del Capitano, since it's only open for lunch. Then it all made sense. What better place to serve pasta at lunchtime than in the Italian specialty restaurant. Duh!

Thanks for the video. What do you use to edit, Gettys?

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Oh wow, another guy who tries on shirts in the middle of the store over the top of the shirt he's wearing. I thought I was the only one, I've never seen any other guy do this. To heck with going to the dressing room just to try a shirt real quick. Ain't nobody got time for that. My wife's even gotten to the point where she'll often hold onto the bottom of my shirt when I'm pulling off the new shirt so I don't show off my manly physique. No need to scare women & children.

We're dying to try Pasta Bella (the pasta bar). We were just talking about it over the weekend and wondering if it was open on embarkation day...you answered our question. But for me, that lunch is reserved for Guy's and I shall not deviate from my embarkation Guy's burger. But after that, pasta bar, here I come. We were trying to figure out where the heck it was. I said Gettys84 posted a picture of Cucina Del Capitano when he mentioned the pasta bar, so I think it's near there. But Pasta Bella isn't on the deck plans. I googled all over the place trying to find where it's at on the ship. It wasn't until I found a Horizon tour video on YouTube that I realized Pasta Bella is inside Cucina Del Capitano, since it's only open for lunch. Then it all made sense. What better place to serve pasta at lunchtime than in the Italian specialty restaurant. Duh!

I just used iMovie. Thinking about pulling the trigger on Final Cut Pro and just be done with it. I would use it for my work also

4 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

The pasta bar is on deck 11 rear of the ship.  It is in Cucina Del Capitano.  

If any of you would watch the video please go to the actual youtube page and subscribe to the channel!  Trying to get some subscribers!  Have to start somewhere.  I should have a new video posted in a couple of days with another great intro!

Really wish we were closer to our next cruise...130 days to go until Bermuda on the Sunshine (we have Breeze booked for next April and Mardi Gras for next October!)...Photo of the Horizon from Curacao from our 8 day in April IMG_3377.thumb.jpeg.b3685dd7d431997572cc4f4c7f1b9a9e.jpeg