Currently on the Horizon

Gettys84

1 hour ago, Gettys84 said:

Haha. Nope, not that bad. But also need to get in line early if you wanted to see a comedy show!  

I think this is going to be the most disappointing thing about our Horizon cruise. I have no desire to show up to one of the Playlist or comedy shows a half hour early. We missed the early Playlist show one night last year because our MDR meal was running very slow. Then for the late show, seas were a little too rough, so instead of the big production, they just sat on stools on stage and sang. It sucked, so we left. And it was one we were looking forward to most. Having to show up a half hour early to all these shows just to get a decent seat (thanks to their poor design) throws a whole new wrench into the works.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 6:02 PM, missholly24 said:

Lots of "crowded" in the reviews. Do you feel more crowded than Dream class ships? (if you know). Are you 

waiting in lots of lines? Is breakfast crazy? Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are just off the Magic and sailed on Horizon last August.  We don't understand all the "crowded" comments.  Just avoid the main pool (there are other options on both ships) and you'll be fine.  There are lines at some buffet stations (deli, Mongolian wok) but they were not unrealistic.  To avoid breakfast lines go to Ocean Plaza.  A simple Continental breakfast and plenty of indoor/outdoor seating.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2019 at 8:11 AM, Organized Chaos said:

I think this is going to be the most disappointing thing about our Horizon cruise. I have no desire to show up to one of the Playlist or comedy shows a half hour early. We missed the early Playlist show one night last year because our MDR meal was running very slow. Then for the late show, seas were a little too rough, so instead of the big production, they just sat on stools on stage and sang. It sucked, so we left. And it was one we were looking forward to most. Having to show up a half hour early to all these shows just to get a decent seat (thanks to their poor design) throws a whole new wrench into the works.

Just off Horizon end of April and never once went to a show or comedy club more than 15 minutes early, usually only 10. Just the two of us but only one time had a bad seat. That was still in the second row but the comedian stood in a strange place on the stage and a post blocked my view part of the time. There were usually looooonnnnng lines for the late comedy shows but we just waited until all those people went in before we arrived. Always seats left and never more than six rows back from the front.

Very seldom a line for dining and moved quickly if there was. Worst line was for gelato when it wasn’t quite ready. 🙂

Having to repost the second video.  I had swapped the pup names for Jack's Shacks...our cruising buddies let us know, edited and fixed! Thats what I get for not letting my wife proof read/video my edit!!!   Reposting the video.  Will try and have the 3rd video up today or tomorrow!

17 hours ago, Zack Adams said:

Great review! We are sailing on July 13th on the Horizon! You have a gift for writing and visual storytelling! Well done👍

Thank you... excited for our next cruise on the Sunshine!  Going to take a lot of video and do a proper video series of the trip! (and maybe a live review, if any of you would want to see more pizza line checks)

Finished with the 3rd video when we were in La Romana.  This was after we started doing the live review and figured we should start taking video and try to put together a vlog.  So this one is more than just pictures like the first two.  Also learning how to edit better!  Let us know what you think and any suggestions you guys may have please!  Please go to the youtube page and subscribe to our channel!  Thank you!

18 hours ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

Great stuff, love your work!

But 6:37 without a pizza line check, is just not right:classic_biggrin:

you have 131 days until our next cruise.  Will be doing another live review and many many pizza line checks!

• Like 1

Thank you guys for watching the videos we have uploaded...getting a ton of views! Be sure to subscribe to know when we have uploaded new videos.   Please let us know anything you wish people spent more time covering on a cruise and will make sure to capture those moments in September.

How long does it normally take to go all the way around on the Skyride?

Choosing the deck and number of people for the new elevator system seems slow. I don't mean the time it takes to get to actually get to the destination deck, but the touch screen system. You touch it and it seems like the system is pretty slow to speak the the deck number, the car letter,  and finally get back to the touch screen. Doing that for a larger group is going to be a pain. They need to speed up that transition or something.

My only suggestion is to avoid vertical videos (taken in portrait mode) because they only look good when viewed on the phone. But you only had a couple of those moments, so that's not so bad. And one of them was the lobby funnel thingy, so I think you were trying to get the whole thing in the shot.

Do you feel like you're taking up a lot of your cruise making the reviews and videos? I've seen some that are so involved and include dozens and dozens of photos that it has to take up a big chunk of a person's cruise just to do these things. There was a time in my life when I spent so much time on our vacations or whatever looking through the lens of a video camera and/or taking photos. I reached a point where I had to force myself to ease up. I'd still capture the moment to have for our own keepsakes, but then put the camera down and actually live it and see it through my own eyes. So I'm always curious how others feel who spend a lot of time on their cruise specifically creating review content.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

How long does it normally take to go all the way around on the Skyride?

Choosing the deck and number of people for the new elevator system seems slow. I don't mean the time it takes to get to actually get to the destination deck, but the touch screen system. You touch it and it seems like the system is pretty slow to speak the the deck number, the car letter,  and finally get back to the touch screen. Doing that for a larger group is going to be a pain. They need to speed up that transition or something.

My only suggestion is to avoid vertical videos (taken in portrait mode) because they only look good when viewed on the phone. But you only had a couple of those moments, so that's not so bad. And one of them was the lobby funnel thingy, so I think you were trying to get the whole thing in the shot.

Do you feel like you're taking up a lot of your cruise making the reviews and videos? I've seen some that are so involved and include dozens and dozens of photos that it has to take up a big chunk of a person's cruise just to do these things. There was a time in my life when I spent so much time on our vacations or whatever looking through the lens of a video camera and/or taking photos. I reached a point where I had to force myself to ease up. I'd still capture the moment to have for our own keepsakes, but then put the camera down and actually live it and see it through my own eyes. So I'm always curious how others feel who spend a lot of time on their cruise specifically creating review content.

Depending on how fast you try and go I would say about 3 to 5 minutes.  It was really really fun.  I think we are going to miss it big time on the Sunshine, Breeze, and Mardi Gras.  I am hoping they move the Horizon or the Vista to Port Canaveral in May 2021!

The elevator would be better if they had a "number of passengers" button after you pressed which floor.  I never really felt like we waited for a long time anytime we took them.

Thanks for the feed back!  I kicked my self every time I imported a vertical video....what in the world was I thinking.  I am doing research on what cameras people are using in their Vlogs.  I think we will pick up something before the Bermuda cruise!  The iPhone works well but I think there are better options.

We have talked and talked about doing Vlogs but never actually did it.  We were going to do it this cruise and then we were practicing some and it just felt so weird being on camera and hearing myself talk.  After posting and then this post turning into a live review, it gave us some confidence to try it.  Thats why there is way more video in the 3rd post because we started trying it.  We made sure there was still time for us during our vacation and always will.  But it was really fun posting and taking videos!  

I have watched so many videos and learned so much that it is a great way to help someone that is new to cruising!  Looking forward to building our channel on youtube.  Hoping to get to 1000 subscribers.  That is the goal!

3 hours ago, Gettys84 said:

Depending on how fast you try and go I would say about 3 to 5 minutes.  It was really really fun.  I think we are going to miss it big time on the Sunshine, Breeze, and Mardi Gras.  I am hoping they move the Horizon or the Vista to Port Canaveral in May 2021!

I was wondering because I thought knowing that would give us an idea of how fast the line would move. Also thought it'd be fun for members of my group to have a little race, but not sure if the crew would appreciate/allow us trying to go too fast. Was also thinking about doing a timed race on the Skycourse. Because that's only one person at a time, isn't it? I've been trying to come up with ideas to enjoy the outside decks a little more. I'm not a sit around the pool type of guy. We've always gone in the summer because of school, and I'm not fond of being out in the sweltering heat. We get enough of that at home. But since our son is graduating, we're going in March and should be able to enjoy a little bit cooler temps.

The elevator would be better if they had a "number of passengers" button after you pressed which floor.  I never really felt like we waited for a long time anytime we took them.

I've seen a few people say that. I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to tap the screen for every person. That seems like such a roundabout way of going about it.

I am doing research on what cameras people are using in their Vlogs.  I think we will pick up something before the Bermuda cruise!  The iPhone works well but I think there are better options.

There's a photography section on CC, if you haven't seen that already. I'm sure some of them talk about their equipment. I bought my first DSLR several years ago. Back when cell phone cameras were nowhere near the quality they are now. I still love it for when I want some real quality photos, but today's phones do a fantastic job. What I really like to use my DSLR for is the optical zoom lens. Digital zooms on phones just don't cut it. But with a DSLR comes a bit of a bulky camera, so there's that. And I have two lenses that need switched out depending on the situation, so it can be a pain to use sometimes. I broke down and bought a GoPro back in 2017. There was a great Black Friday deal on one that I couldn't pass up. And we were going on a cruise that following summer, so it made me want it even more. I bought a case for it and a handle with a trigger mechanism on it. That way the trigger activates the shutter button and I can use it with one hand. I used it when we went snorkeling a couple times, but I'd like to use it a lot more.

There's times when I'm a bit bored on board (pun intended), so I'd consider logging on to CC and maybe answering some questions anyone might have, but I don't think I'd do something as detailed as your live review. I tried to log on last year on the ship to see if anyone had any questions while we were on the Glory, but the wifi was atrocious and I couldn't do squat. Sometimes I think it'd be kind of fun to do some YouTube stuff, but I don't put myself on the internet, so vlogs wouldn't work for me.

On 5/22/2019 at 5:27 PM, ciera123 said:

Really have enjoyed your review! Thank you!! 

Thank you for taking the time to read!  Should have the next video up tonight or tomorrow.  It is the best so far I think. 

On 5/19/2019 at 3:40 PM, Gettys84 said:

Having to repost the second video.  I had swapped the pup names for Jack's Shacks...our cruising buddies let us know, edited and fixed! Thats what I get for not letting my wife proof read/video my edit!!!   Reposting the video.  Will try and have the 3rd video up today or tomorrow!

I think if you put Carnival Horizon in the title of the videos you would get a lot more views. People search Youtube for Carnival Horizon and it lists all of the videos with that title! Good luck on your channel, the videos are great 🙂

Edited by csj092809
misspelled word

On 5/27/2019 at 1:30 PM, csj092809 said:

I think if you put Carnival Horizon in the title of the videos you would get a lot more views. People search Youtube for Carnival Horizon and it lists all of the videos with that title! Good luck on your channel, the videos are great 🙂

Thanks for the tip.  It has made a difference in views already!  I also just bought final cut pro for my MacBook.  Started working on a video tonight and it is much better than iMovie!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 1:29 AM, Cairns Cruisers said:

Great stuff, love your work!

But 6:37 without a pizza line check, is just not right:classic_biggrin:

Thank you!  Ready for our next cruise! 104 days until pizza line checks

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 9:36 AM, Gettys84 said:

Gelato is very busy and very good. Have seen them run out a couple of times so get there somewhat early! 

I'm glad they kept the Gelato, Now if they could expand the gelato!

1 hour ago, zippyjet said:

I'm glad they kept the Gelato, Now if they could expand the gelato!

I hope that add it to more ships as well as more flavors!  I loved having the toppings for the ice cream cones as well.