Cuba & mobility issues & devices

DRS/NC

My adult kids & I are considering a HAL cruise that stops in Havana & Cienfuegos. 

I'll be using a scooter on the ship.  I'll also have my rollator/walker but I can't walk very far.

I know that if we tender in Cienfuegos, I'll not be able to us the scooter.

Any ideas or experience w/mobility issues in the Cuban ports?

Thanks!

We just recently returned from a cruise that stopped in Havana, and my husband is full time scooter user.  We were not able to get off the ship at all because the gangway could not handle scooters——at the end of the gangway there was a 7 inch step, so obviously a scooter can’t do that.  Some friends that use wheelchairs did leave the ship but returned very quickly because their streets were impossible with no curb cuts or anything disabled friendly. 

Edited by cruisead

We also docked in Havana last week.   Not friendly for able bodied or disabled

cruisers.    You have to keep your wits about and always look down!   I could not count the number of manholes without covers on the sidewalks even in very busy areas.   Guess folks steal them and recycle the metal.    The bathrooms are certainly not for disabled.    We saw no toilet seats in Havana.   You must bring your own paper and soap.   Some even lacked water and you needed to use a bucket of water.   I can’t speak for the big hotels as our tour just did the highlights of Havana!

We docked in Cienfuegos and we’re there for 3 days.  We brought a transfer chair for my husband.  He can walk with assistance, but not very far and not on uneven ground. He did okay getting on and off the tender (with assistance). Can you do the steps up and down to the tender?  On one day, we got ourselves to the central area and just meandered around. There is a walking-only side street that was quite wheelchair friendly.  Just chilling in the town square was a nice experience.   But it was challenging getting there.  It would probably be best to hire a taxi to get there, although it’s really not far. Then we hired a horse-drawn buggy for a private tour.  But I don’t recommend it.  Very bumpy and not comfortable. We were dropped off back at the ship.  

Another day, we took an included ship tour.  Still, there was quite a bit of getting on and off the bus. I’m glad we didn’t stay on the ship, and I’d recommend a travel wheel-chair or transfer chair over the rollators.  And whatever you take, make sure they’re big wheels to help get over all the bumps.  Make sure someone else in the group is strong and can help. 

You also might check the Cuba forum and look for a private guide that will meet you at the ship.  This would probably be best.  I prefer to do this whenever possible rather than a large tour.  

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:20 PM, DRS/NC said:

My adult kids & I are considering a HAL cruise that stops in Havana & Cienfuegos. 

I'll be using a scooter on the ship.  I'll also have my rollator/walker but I can't walk very far.

I know that if we tender in Cienfuegos, I'll not be able to us the scooter.

Any ideas or experience w/mobility issues in the Cuban ports?

Thanks!

I can only speak for Havana.  Others have said "negatives" but we are a "positive" couple.  My wife uses a scooter, and every port we ever stopped at that was not a tender port, we used a scooter in, including Havana.  The ship was an overnight stay in Havana.  The gangway was "unique" but my wife can walk, and you will have several adults with you.  No reason why your scooter can't be managed on the gangway.  Even with steps, because your adult helpers will be with you!  Next, the city is the same as in 1950, so it is not scooter friendly, and the streets are cobblestone and some curbs are not friendly, and getting into some places are not easy, but guess what, you have a helper, and you can walk!  We actually stayed in the city until around 10pm visiting some pubs, and enjoyed a nice (unique) dinner in Havana. 

Don't let a disability stop you from experiencing CUBA.  Just remember, it's not the best disabled city to visit, and maybe even the worst, but with the help of your family, you should be able to enjoy it.  Go with an open mind, and be "positive" about what to experience.

Thank you so much for your post.   I will be in Havana for 2 days in early May and I have a Travelscoot.    Good to know about the condition of the streets etc.   I will be prepared and make sure I have someone with me to help get around with my scooter.   

Do you know if the big market not too far off the Malecon and near the port is accessible with a scooter?