DIY Ketchikan and Sitka...suggestions?

PittsburghNative

These are the two ports we aren’t doing excursions. I’m wondering what y’all suggest to do on our own? In Ketchikan, we want to see the totems and possibly Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, if it’s worth it. In Sitka, we plan on seeing Fortress of the Bears and Alaska Raptor Center. We also want to check out Tongass National Park. Is public transportation to all these places easy to get? Any other ideas of not to miss spots?

We were in Alaska in Sept. and did a lot on our own including both Ketchican and Sitka. Didn't need public transportation at all in either port, both very walkable.  In Ketchikan we did this walking tour- it was fantastic- LOTS of totems. The Southwest Alaska Discover Center was nice too, and if I remember, near the cruise dock. We would have spent a lot more time there if we had bad weather that day, although fortunately we have great weather so we were outside more,

https://www.experienceketchikan.com/ketchikan-walking-tour.html

Sitka is beautiful. (The cruise had a free shuttle that dropped us off downtown, from there it was all walkable). We did a walking tour there too which was great. It included Tongass.

http://visitsitka.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Visit-Sitka-WalkingMap.pdf

Enjoy!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tsutt35 said:

We did Ketchikan on our own and had a full day. I blogged about the day with photos if you are interested. Didn't go to Sitka though sorry.

https://tanyastravelblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/18/blue-skies-for-the-red-light-district/

I also creeped on your other blog that mentioned all the ports you visited and I must say I love your humor lol. Your photos are stunning too! What month did you cruise?

42 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

I also creeped on your other blog that mentioned all the ports you visited and I must say I love your humor lol. Your photos are stunning too! What month did you cruise?

Thank you. It a bit of an odd sense of humour but gives people a laugh. I love being able to read back the blogs and remember the fun times we have.

The cruise started in Japan on April 27 so it was early May when we got to Alaska. I believe we were the first ship of the season (or perhaps first Princess ship) heading southbound.

We walked all of Sitka. We started at St Michael's Russian Orthodox church then headed off along Lincoln St to Baranof Castle State Historical Site followed by continuing along Lincoln St to Sitka Sound Science Center and finishing at the Sitka National Park. It is a trek, but beautiful views. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Magellan321 said:

We walked all of Sitka. We started at St Michael's Russian Orthodox church then headed off along Lincoln St to Baranof Castle State Historical Site followed by continuing along Lincoln St to Sitka Sound Science Center and finishing at the Sitka National Park. It is a trek, but beautiful views. 

We were considering walking to the Raptor Center and throughout Sitka National Park and take transportation to Fortress of the Bears. Do you recommend to stop at any of the places you visited?

58 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

We were considering walking to the Raptor Center and throughout Sitka National Park and take transportation to Fortress of the Bears. Do you recommend to stop at any of the places you visited?

If you use the All Trails map you will walk past the Baranof Historical Site and a beautiful Episcopal church on the waterfront and have a chance to get some great pics. I think you should have a pretty full day of walking and if you follow that map you will see lots of amazing views. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/alaska/sitka-walking-tour-crescent-harbor-to-the-raptor-center?ref=sidebar-view-full-map

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:50 AM, PittsburghNative said:

In July we hiked to the post office (next to the Raptor Center) and took a bus to the Fortress of the Bears.  I would recommend finding the bus schedule online before you leave.  If you are into micro-brews, the local brewery is not far from the Raptor Center.  Their website is not reliable on their hours, so call before you leave on the cruise to find out. 

Lisa

• 4 months later...

Sitka is really a very small town. There's basically one main street, Lincoln Street, through town. You can definitely see a lot on foot, if you're not opposed to walking. The rainforest is at the end of town, at the end of that street, and has a lovely walking path that's a mile or two long. Many totems in the rainforest if you're interested in Native American culture.  (The port is about 5 miles from downtown Sitka, but bus rides into town are free. You get dropped off and picked up at the community center.)