Nassau and Freeport or Nassau and Princess Cays

cp1908

Hello.  I will be going on my first cruise for my 40th this July.  I have decided on the Bahamas.  I will be traveling with my parents, aunt, and brother (that's a little younger than me).  One port will definitely be Nassau.  I am trying to decide on Freeport or Princess Cays for the second choice.  I have been doing some research during Spring Break and need to make an absolute final decision ASAP.  Has anyone been to both?  What's the difference?  From my understanding Princess Cays is owned by the cruise line and is sort of a private beach with an included bbq, I got that part, but what else is there to do (i.e. is there sightseeing, shopping markets, etc.) 

What about Freeport?  What is there to do?  Just from what I've gathered seems like more options perhaps than Princess Cays, but I'm concerned because several comments on various sites talked about it not being built back much or shops closed down from a recent storm and also safety concerns.  Is there anyone that has been this year or last and can speak to these two destinations.  Would you mind listing the must sees/go, must eats for each, approx distance, best transportation options to/from cruise ship,etc?

I don't think I want to spend my whole time sitting on a beach but do want some beach relaxation time (any beach recommendations with clear water, nice sand, free if possible), but I also want to experience a little bit of the local cultural. Willing to try low risk activities (not a great swimmer but plan on lessons soon) like ziplining, shallow water snorkeling, I've seen something about swimming with pigs (not sure where), etc.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Have been to both although not Princess Cays since 2017.  My simple answer would be that if you like the idea of a beach day, then P. Cays would be my recommendation.  In P. Cays it is included and in Freeport you would have to get away from the terminal.  If you don't like the idea of hanging out at the beach all day, they Freeport might offer some other options.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the general consensus you would get here is people crap on Freeport. The port area isn't spectacular neither are most of the other parts most people drive through. Although there is lots to do, depending what you are interested in. We had a fun time at taino beach. I want to go to Gold Rock next time.

My choice would be Princess (and it was for my upcoming cruise). You can't go wrong with a nice beach day where you don't have to purchase taxis, chairs, and food. Plus, I get to snorkel.

• Like 2

Freeport requires an excursion or taxi ride (unless you want to hang out at the port. There are several bars, shops and such).   Kayaking through the mangroves is one of my favorite things to do.

Princess Cays is basically a beach day. There is a straw market there.  The downside is you’ll need water shoes to be comfortable (unless you have hobbit feet)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Princess Cays is a beach day as has been mentioned- but Freeport

offers a variety with a van ride to Port Lucaya.  The van ride is lowcost

and one gets to see a bit of the island.  Depends on what one wants.

• Like 1

We've been on 13 cruises (14 and 15 days and months away) and Nassau and Freeport are our least favorite ports. The thought of doing both of them would be enough reason to not book the cruise. Stick with PC for sure! It's beautiful, clean and safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1