RedneckBob confronts "Great White" on South Pacific cruise review; Eurodam

RedneckBob

Hi y'all, Redneck Bob here.

Well saddle up partners, I mean fellow CC members, and come along for the final ride into the sunset with me and the Mrs on our Grand Cruise to Hawaii (with two stops at Walmart) and the South Pacific; March 09 to April 06, 2019. That right, after +40 years of cruising and +80 cruises we are hangin it up. Someone asked me, "RNB, how do you know how many cruises you took", for which I replied, "It is very simple, got a CAT scan a month ago across my belly and there were these rings, like tree rings, and each ring represented a cruise" :classic_biggrin:. But this was such a great cruise we may continue with one more cruise.

Oh, I forgot, these are my opinions only, do not reflect the opinion of others, names were changed to protect me and based on another thread there were folks on this cruise that did not like it, BUT we did! So here is my story.

Embarkation: We arrive in San Diego the morning of departure and when we got to the cruise terminal at 11 AM there was a HUGE line. After getting our docs we sat in a HUGE area with 4 & 5 star Mariners. Found out there were over 575 mariners with 4/5 stars and 5 Presidential Class with a couple with +2,000 days! What was really impressive was that we did laundry 5 times, each day turned it in by 9 AM and received it back that nite everytime. Embarkation went smoothly.

Cabin: Instead for opting for one of those double wide inside cabins we spent the big bucks for a balcony. It was worth it plus had two great cabin attendants! And the movie selection on the TV. Made those sea days go by fast.

Food: MDR was ok; service excellent. Exec Chef had problems with the beef brought onboard in San Diego; tuff and stringy; but got better after Papeete when new food was brought on board. But the Taramind was excellent. Best service and food at a Specialty venue in all our cruises; and the PG was not bad either. Someone asked me, "RNB, did you gain any weight", for which I replied, "A LOT!". I further stated, "If I could figure how to rest my head on my belly I would not have to buy another My Pillow"! :classic_huh:

The South Pacific: greatest place to go on earth. The snorkel trips we took were stunning; swimming with the sharks, stingrays, viewing coral. No other place like it on earth except maybe my pond in my backyard. And what was great is the CC members set up tours of their own that were half the price of HAL. Biggest bargain was in Moorea; HAL charged $179.95 pp for 5 hour snorkel and lunch tour, beer $5 extra per bottle; our tour the same including beer and 6 hours for $70 pp. Thanks G&G! 

Entertainment: Just ok, some good ones, some duds. But no more singers and dancers and I think the Band is next since they do not perform outside the showroom anymore.

Disembarkation: Late as usually in San Diego, but nothing to get upset about.

Tried to keep it short. Great cruise experience !

"I'm Redneck Bob and I see it like I tell, I mean tell it like I see it"

PS: Forget to mention in the title I confront a "Great White Shark". Just an eye catcher. Actually snorkeled with the huge person who use to play for the San Jose Sharks :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very cool review @RedneckBob!  

I wish you were my neighbor.  I'd love to make you and the Mrs. dinner just to listen to your cruising stories. 

(Looks like you're in FL,  I'm in TX, darn it, though I do have family in Florida (Tampa / Central FL area).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Very cool review @RedneckBob!  

I wish you were my neighbor.  I'd love to make you and the Mrs. dinner just to listen to your cruising stories. 

(Looks like you're in FL,  I'm in TX, darn it, though I do have family in Florida (Tampa / Central FL area).

Thanks. Actually live outside Tampa

Since when is disembarkation in San Diego  "late as usual"?

Are you arriving on each cruise from September to May?

I have been at the pier each and every time.

I cannot recall a single delayed ship arrival this cruise season.....only passengers who refuse to disembark in the process that is proposed by the ship and not enforced.  If you want a "Me, me, me" offloading then the Eurodam is the ship!   

David

P.S. Outdone by the Celebrity Eclipse arrival today........don't any of you care for anyone but yourselves?

Edited by DAllenTCY

7 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Since when is disembarkation in San Diego  "late as usual"?

Are you arriving on each cruise from September to May?

I have been at the pier each and every time.

I cannot recall a single delayed ship arrival this cruise season.....only passengers who refuse to disembark in the process that is proposed by the ship and not enforced.  If you want a "Me, me, me" offloading then the Eurodam is the ship!   

David

P.S. Outdone by the Celebrity Eclipse arrival today........don't any of you care for anyone but yourselves?

WOW, I guess my light hearted review was not so light hearted. I believe what we have here is a failure to communicate.

Now, just the facts. This was my 4th South Pacific sailing since 2008; one in Jan, two in Mar and one in April. Everyone of these cruises have been late disembarking, not all ships that arrive in SD are late. As referenced in another thread by G&G which you responded to here are the facts:

1. My cruises to the South Pacific were 28-33 days long

2. The majority of passengers were non US citizens

3. Customs requires all non US citizens to go through Customs on the ship before anyone can disembark.

4. Except for this cruise, Customs would not allow anyone off the ship until all non US citizens went through Customs. The process is long especially a few who do not show up. But on this cruise, disembarkation was only 30 minutes late cause it started before process complete; allowing only US citizens to leave.

5. I was active on our roll call and stated that don't book a flight before noon (trying to be helpful),

6. Met a man on board who told me had a flight before 9:30 am. Told him he better change it.

7. I guess trying to help others is only careing for myself?

PS: The Eurodam arrived and was docked at 6:30 am, 30 minutes early

• Like 3

Hi RNB.   I agree with all of your opinions on the cruise.   The $10 extra fee for an extra main course was not enforced because the waiters hated the idea of hassling the passengers for a measly $10 for an extra entree, because it may impact their extra tips.   On the night that they had Chicken Kiev, I asked for a small piece of calve's liver.  I told our waiter to go ahead and charge me, I didn't care.  I love properly cooked calve's liver.   He said "don't worry about it, nobody is getting charged".   I hear the "test program was dumped by Seattle because of the blowback they received.  I hope the bean counter in Seattle who dreamed up this cash-grab plan was also dumped.

My only complaint was there was no Grolsch beer available for the whole cruise.   Substituted the draft Heineken  and the draft Italian Moretti beer, which was OK.

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Hi RNB.   I agree with all of your opinions on the cruise.   The $10 extra fee for an extra main course was not enforced because the waiters hated the idea of hassling the passengers for a measly $10 for an extra entree, because it may impact their extra tips.   On the night that they had Chicken Kiev, I asked for a small piece of calve's liver.  I told our waiter to go ahead and charge me, I didn't care.  I love properly cooked calve's liver.   He said "don't worry about it, nobody is getting charged".   I hear the "test program was dumped by Seattle because of the blowback they received.  I hope the bean counter in Seattle who dreamed up this cash-grab plan was also dumped.

My only complaint was there was no Grolsch beer available for the whole cruise.   Substituted the draft Heineken  and the draft Italian Moretti beer, which was OK.

Hi TAD2005.  Same thing happened to us; no charge for 2nd entree. How was your overnite in Bora Bora. Sorry about your flight back to Tampa. We were on AA through Phoenix and got to Tampa on time at 10:10 PM.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:13 PM, SilvertoGold said:

Super review.  Totally spellbinding.  You really do need to book another soon.

BUT, are you saying they didn't find the CAT?

Thanks S to G, Still waiting G to P !

As far as CAT; only fat rings

Forgot to include in my initial review the following:

RedneckBoB facts about each port of call, believe or not:

Honolulu: no more shuttle bus from port to Walmart; one mile walk each way.

Hilo: avoid buying Mac Nuts at Mac Farm; 30% cheaper at Walmart; Free shuttle from port

Fanning Island: as discussed in a roll call, there are no ATM machines on Fanning Island

Raitea: when buying black pearls make sure you rub the pearls along your teeth to make sure they are real and there is no minty taste.

Bora Bora: Bloody Mary's tee shirts can be found on ebay for half price for only $30

Moorea: don't let HAL scare you in buying their $180 pp  swim with sharks, stingrays and picnic at motu or miss the ship, when you can do it on your own for $70.

Papette: it is so hot and humid hear that even Tarzan would not live hear.

Fakarava: only 900 people live here but there is free wifi and a beautiful resort at beach

Huka Niva: while vacationing here Elvis wrote one of his hit songs; "Huka Huka Burning Love"

Travel Agent RNB reporting from his bucker somewhere in Florida

21 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Hi TAD2005.  Same thing happened to us; no charge for 2nd entree. How was your overnite in Bora Bora. Sorry about your flight back to Tampa. We were on AA through Phoenix and got to Tampa on time at 10:10 PM.

Hi RNB,

I'm glad to hear that that idiotic cash grab $10 fee has been dumped, hopefully along with the bonehead in Seattle who thought it up.

The overnight in Bora Bora was the highlight of my cruise.  We did the whole arrangement ourselves.  We got a near  end of pontoon bungalow, (see pix below) lunch, dinner, breakfast the next morning, and free ferry boat transfers, all for a total of $945 for both of us.   If I bought the HAL excursion to the same hotel, same bungalow, only dinner, no breakfast or lunch, it would have cost me $2800 for both of us.

bora bora 2.jpg

bora bora 4.jpg

13 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Hi RNB,

I'm glad to hear that that idiotic cash grab $10 fee has been dumped, hopefully along with the bonehead in Seattle who thought it up.

The overnight in Bora Bora was the highlight of my cruise.  We did the whole arrangement ourselves.  We got a near  end of pontoon bungalow, (see pix below) lunch, dinner, breakfast the next morning, and free ferry boat transfers, all for a total of $945 for both of us.   If I bought the HAL excursion to the same hotel, same bungalow, only dinner, no breakfast or lunch, it would have cost me $2800 for both of us.

bora bora 2.jpg

bora bora 4.jpg

Great photos and deal!

• Like 1

RNB, thanks for your review.  Once I retire we need to do this type of adventure!  Don't give up cruising.  Just because HAL won't be cruising from Tampa you always have options!  I always enjoy reading your thoughts, and appreciate the positives and not so positives.

5 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

RNB, thanks for your review.  Once I retire we need to do this type of adventure!  Don't give up cruising.  Just because HAL won't be cruising from Tampa you always have options!  I always enjoy reading your thoughts, and appreciate the positives and not so positives.

Thanks. never got an answer why HAL left Tampa.

On April 10, 2019 at 7:51 PM, ski ww said:

I agree it was an excellent cruise and a few of those minor things as mentioned did not take away from what was an great cruise.

Allan

Ditto, 

On 4/8/2019 at 5:47 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Thank you for your review.

Do agree that the Tamarind is the best specialty restaurant around.

Now you know you aren't going to quit cruising.

Thanks KK! 

Actually I will be cruising on the Ruby Princess next week to Alaska and will be in Victoria on the same day as the Eurodam. While on board the Eurodam a couple of weeks ago I went to Guest Services and asked if I could board the ship in Victoria. The GS rep asked me, "Will you have any friends on board", which I replied, "the entire staff is my friend". I said I would like to dine at the Tamarind as long as the Ruby Princess is not sailing away into the sunset.