Have you traveled with 4 adults in one room?

Peckishpixie

I got veranda room that sleeps four adults for my cruise with my husband adult son and his partner. Now I am rethinking that maybe I need to just put them in their own room, at least for sleeping. It just seems like a small space for 4 people even though the travel agent said it could be done. Has anyone actually done it?

With my own, small, children it would not be ideal, but reasonable. However. How can you have a nice vacation with four adults in such a small room with no privacy for a week or longer. In an emergency situation no problem. Otherwise never in a million years.

• Like 2

I would think a verandah cabin will be very crowded with 4 adults. Sleeping space will be an even bigger problem. You should look at  least a Signature Suite with more space and a much bigger bathroom or putting the son and partner in an inside cabin across the hall from your veranda cabin.

Not sure which ship (and if that matters), but our traveling companions had their two boys (11 & 14) with them in a veranda cabin on Nieuw Statendam. It was very tight. The bunk drops down above the bed (both adults hit their heads on it at various times). The other sleeping location is the oversized chair (or very small loveseat) that opens into a bed. With both open, it was very difficult for them to navigate bathroom runs during the night. If the money isn't too bad, I'd definitely get them a separate room (even an inside would make things much more comfortable). I don't know if the layout would be different on different ships. Good luck, and enjoy the time spent with your family!

Thank you for the feedback. I just priced it, and assuming I dont have to also pay a fee to change the plans, the extra cabin would only be a 300 dollar difference. The travel agent said it slept four but I've been second guessing it ever since. Glad I asked you guys too!

18 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

Thank you for the feedback. I just priced it, and assuming I dont have to also pay a fee to change the plans, the extra cabin would only be a 300 dollar difference. The travel agent said it slept four but I've been second guessing it ever since. Glad I asked you guys too!

Unless you have a terrible TA, there should be no fee for changing and adding the extra cabin. You are making a wise decision, enjoy the cruise.

I have done it every Cruise but not adults.  The last time was with my husband, a 13 year old and 10 year old.  It was fine for us as we are close and live under one roof now.  But once a child leave the home the dynamics change and I, personally, wouldn’t, do it.  Plus someone will be on a pull out sofa and another on a pullman over the main bed.  At night there is no room to move and if you have a balcony cabin the balcony is not accessible.  For views go to halfacts and Westerdam 4163. Then there is the issue of one bathroom for 4 adults.

whatever you chose, enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I agree with the others here, get a separate cabin, 4 adults in 1 cabin is just way too much.  You probably won't be talking when you get off the ship.  Enjoy your cruise, which ship are you sailing?

• Like 1

I cannot imagine 4 adults in one verandah room unless you are used to extremely intimate conditions, waits for the use of the bathroom, and even difficulties in finding enough room to hang clothes and store stuff.  OMG!

• Like 2

We did FIVE adults in a Family Oceanview on the Koningsdam over Christmas.  We had some buyer’s remorse and tried to switch to 2 Insides but they were sold out.  It was only bearable because 1) two bathrooms and 2) the 3 teens still live with us.  

The teens stayed out late and slept in, which was pretty annoying but since they are my kids I fussed at them with impunity.  I think the toughest part about sharing a room would be handling other adults’ circadian rhythms.  One person’s idea of sleeping in may be 8 am; another’s may be 9 or 10 am.  That would cause friction in any size room.

Glad you got the second room and for not much more!  

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady
  • Like 3

just off the N.Statendam, verandah room. Just me, wife, and 8yo son. We would never do it again. Once the wide chair is converted to a bed, there is NO WAY to maneuver in the room. Can't sit, cant use desk, can't get to verandah. No privacy either - we;ve only ever done Disney but they have a curtain that can separate the space.  I cannot even imagine sharing that space with 3 other adults. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, hubbard53 said:

just off the N.Statendam, verandah room. Just me, wife, and 8yo son. We would never do it again. Once the wide chair is converted to a bed, there is NO WAY to maneuver in the room. Can't sit, cant use desk, can't get to verandah.

This is  why we chose a Signature Suite over a verandah for our Alaska cruise in July with our 10 year old grandson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOHN 57 said:

Due to the price, we decided to go for 4 in our cabin, ages 68, 58, 34, 32.  We are traveling with our sons, and going to Alaska on the Volendam out of Vancouver 18-25 Sep.

Unless it's a Neptune Suite it sounds like it will be a memorable cruise but not in a good way.  With one bathroom and tight quarters you will be on each other's nerves within a day or so.  I hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I have to agree -- but the son and his partner in another cabin.

4 people --- small cabin -- 1 bathroom -- no privacy.

Definitely go for another cabin. 

and its both small cabin and 1 small bathroom. The only way 2 people really fit into it, if is one is standing in the tub/shower.  Also, once you pull out the sofa bed, the amount of free floor space becomes even less. 

A lot depends on the cabin layout and personalities involved.  I enjoyed a Princess cruise with three friends in a cabin with two beds together and a sofa bed (the steward was great about changing the sheets so we could rotate sleeping arrangements) and a balcony with four chairs  while my sister-in-law and three friends did not enjoy a head banging cabin with bunks midair over two twins and a balcony with only two chairs.

We've also travelled as two parents and two kids in ocean view or balcony cabins on seven cruises.  On HAL, the Nordam had a good layout for our three week trip in an ocean view with a bunk over the sofa which converted into a single bed and a curtain between the room and entrance to give a dressing room.  A year later, on a four week cruise on the Niew Amsterdam, we were dismayed to find no curtain in our ocean view and the upper bunk positioned claustrophobically over the head of the king bed.  Luckily, our clever steward pointed out the sofa opened to a double, so the kids squished in together. 

Overall, it helps to have a "cosy" mentality, port intensive itinerary and practical arrangements like clothes waiting in the bathroom for late teens and early risers.

I have done 3 adults in one cabin.  We had originally booked a Verandah.

We received an upsell to a Signature Suite.  This was for my elderly father, sister and myself.  This was for an 18 day cruise.  After the experience I was glad that we got the upsell.  There was only one bathroom but my sister had the Thermal Spa Pass and took our showers in the spa.

with two different couples, I would go for different cabins.

My wife and I have been on over 20 cruises on HAL with our two daughters since 2006, when they were 7 and 8.  Now, they are 20 and 21.  Each time we have been in a quad.  It works just fine for us - probably because we started off this way and we just got used to it.  We also have some rules to preserve the peace.  For example, for "number 2," we use a public rest room.  We also split the beds to gain more room.  

We've had some new challenges as the girls have grown up.  One is 5'10" and the other is 5'11".  So, it is now my wife who gets the couch!  And, yes, my wife and I also eagerly look forward to our cruises by ourselves. 

On most cruises, the girls have been free - we just pay their taxes and port fees.  So, the economics make this fairly compelling.  We prefer to spend the extra money on our private excursions.  Yes, it may get cramped, but it's one of the few times that we really get to hang out together.  We watch movies as a family, and we play Uno and hearts.  I have a still busy legal practice, and they are now in college.  So, these are truly precious times for us being able to hang out together.  

Sure, there are sacrifices, and, yes, tempers sometimes flare up.  At the same time, we can all recall famous stories about the really stinky fart, or how we had to take four showers in 30 minutes to make dinner.  These are the things for which memories are made!

So, I wouldn't so easily dismiss the quad.  It really just depends on your family, your habits and your expectations.

If my in laws booked one room for us and them I would think it was downright weird, I couldn’t bear to sleep in the same small room with them!   Maybe you are very close though.

But on a practical level, how are  you going to manage the one bathroom and lack of circulation space.  I agree it could be a laugh but maybe for one night camping!