Ambient temperature on board in Alaska

shaz54

Hi we are taking an Alaskan cruise on 10th May. I understand layers are important for shore activities but my query concerns onboard temperatures. Should I expect that dining room temps will be generally comfortable with short sleeved tops/dresses etc. I always find the dining room temperature cool on a ship in warmer climates and usually need a wrap or light jacket. I assume corridors/ doorways with outside access will definitely be cooler. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last June, on Millennium, I often wore short sleeves indoors and was comfortable. Layers are still import for the ship though because the inside near to exterior doorways are often cooler...and anywhere on deck was often cooler, if not downright cold.

We like to sit outside and boy did we get some nasty looks from the people sitting near the door in the lounge when we came in or went out. Geez! If you're going to sit near a door, bring a sweater! There are plenty of other places to sit 😉

I brought a long sleeve maxi dress for a couple of dinners and found it was a little too warm for me (I sort of knew that going in but I really love the dress 😉 ) But I run hot. Other evenings, I'd wear a sleeveless or short sleeves and make sure I had a wrap or cardigan - I took it off quite often but nice to have if I wanted. My husband does not run hot and he usually wore a long sleeve shirt for dinner, always had a warmth layer - a fleece during the day, sports coat or sweater at night.....

I would say indoors on our ship last Sept was probably avg 70. Dining room was cooler unless it was super crowded, and other places could be cool if there were doors that opened regularly, like the back part of the buffet restaurant....

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 6:17 AM, shaz54 said:

Hi we are taking an Alaskan cruise on 10th May. I understand layers are important for shore activities but my query concerns onboard temperatures. Should I expect that dining room temps will be generally comfortable with short sleeved tops/dresses etc. I always find the dining room temperature cool on a ship in warmer climates and usually need a wrap or light jacket. I assume corridors/ doorways with outside access will definitely be cooler. Thanks in advance for your replies.

You don't say what ship you will be on.  That might make a difference for your attire for the dining room.  But May 10 will be very chilly there.   I have been to Alaska in the middle/end of may several times and am not afraid of dressing casual and keeping warm in Alaska.  Sweaters, jeans, tennis shoes, flats, tunics and long sleeved nicer tops/pants for lunch and dinner and buffet were acceptable.   Clean, non tattered and washed attire is a must of course.  Out on the deck warmer outer layers will be needed that time of yr.  Honestly, you won't get dirty so if you wear the same thing more than once no one will notice especially if you cover up with a sweater or sweatshirt.  Mix and match so your bag will be lighter.  Waterproof you comfortable broken in shoes and do take a waterproof outer jacket.  Hat,scarf and gloves will help also.  My first cruise to Alaska I did not wear 1/2 the clothes I took.  Pack your bag, take out half and then repack again by taking out more extra things you think you might need.  Go to the Alaska thread and you will get a lot more help for your cruise.

Have a great time.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your comments. I know some people feel the cold more than others so your different opinions are all important. Think I need to rethink my packing bearing all your advice in mind. Hope it helps others plan their packing lists too. 🙂 I’ll come back afterwards and let you know how it went.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shaz54 said:

Thank you all for your comments. I know some people feel the cold more than others so your different opinions are all important. Think I need to rethink my packing bearing all your advice in mind. Hope it helps others plan their packing lists too. 🙂 I’ll come back afterwards and let you know how it went.

I hope I helped you. Don't forget you will be out on a lot of cold water getting from port to port.  And in the ports there will be snow in the Mt's. so the temp will be chilly.  They try their best to keep it warm on the ship but I would rather take something off if I get warm than be uncomfortable from being cold because I'm under dressed.  I loved Alaska in May.  There were a lot of waterfalls and the animals were waking up from their winter sleep. Check the ports weather you are going to a couple of days before you leave so you have a better idea of the temps there for you packing.  Have plenty of space in your camera or phone for photo's.  Happy sailing.  

• Like 1

Dusty Road - your help has been invaluable! I am inclined to feel the cold but I am well prepared for it. We live in Ireland and are well used to cold weather lol. My worry has been about being cold in the dining room in the evenings. I definitely need to add a couple of long sleeved items for evenings. Thanks again x

3 hours ago, shaz54 said:

Dusty Road - your help has been invaluable! I am inclined to feel the cold but I am well prepared for it. We live in Ireland and are well used to cold weather lol. My worry has been about being cold in the dining room in the evenings. I definitely need to add a couple of long sleeved items for evenings. Thanks again x

You are so welcome.  I don't mean to sound like a ''know it all '' but I have been to Alaska 6 times. Not as far up as Denali but to Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway.  My ships were the NCL Pearl and the Carnival Spirit.  Like I said the dress code was very casual unless you wanted to get dressy for formal night, which I didn't.  That night I just wore a nice pair of pants,top and flats.  That small pix is of me laying on the lounger and what I wore on the Pearl during sea days and roaming around on the ship in May or Sept. Have fun.  

Edited by dustyroad

12 hours ago, dustyroad said:

You are so welcome.  I don't mean to sound like a ''know it all '' but I have been to Alaska 6 times. Not as far up as Denali but to Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway.  My ships were the NCL Pearl and the Carnival Spirit.  Like I said the dress code was very casual unless you wanted to get dressy for formal night, which I didn't.  That night I just wore a nice pair of pants,top and flats.  That small pix is of me laying on the lounger and what I wore on the Pearl during sea days and roaming around on the ship in May or Sept. Have fun.  

This is us and some friends out for a walk on the beach at home! Think it was about February so still winter here. Plenty of layers on ❄️❄️❄️

70D44DD2-792C-436A-B3AC-AF2E2C1F02AA.jpeg

1 hour ago, shaz54 said:

This is us and some friends out for a walk on the beach at home! Think it was about February so still winter here. Plenty of layers on ❄️❄️❄️

70D44DD2-792C-436A-B3AC-AF2E2C1F02AA.jpeg

What a great photo! Is the whole gang going?  You will be fine for the May 4 weather.  Since I am from the area of residence I am used to 0 degree's with snow and sleet so going in May didn't bother me to much at all.  Others were freezing to death.  What port are you leaving from and what ship?  Do you have any tours planned.  All of that is part of the fun of going there as well.  As I mentioned above go to the Alaska thread to really get the best info on your ports and what lies ahead for you. 

Only 4 of us on this trip sadly. One of the others won’t do water at all. Result of being thrown into the sea as a child to learn to swim 😱! We have booked a tour from Juneau in the hope of seeing whales etc.  We board Celebrity Solstice in Vancouver and then back to Seattle. Our son and his family live near Santa Cruz so we will fly to San Jose after our cruise. Looking forward to catching up with our grandchildren. 

3 hours ago, shaz54 said:

Only 4 of us on this trip sadly. One of the others won’t do water at all. Result of being thrown into the sea as a child to learn to swim 😱! We have booked a tour from Juneau in the hope of seeing whales etc.  We board Celebrity Solstice in Vancouver and then back to Seattle. Our son and his family live near Santa Cruz so we will fly to San Jose after our cruise. Looking forward to catching up with our grandchildren. 

Sorry about your friends not liking the water.  I am the same way about flying.  Give me a ship, train or car for transportation for vacations now. 

I love the whales. I have seen many hump and orca in Juneau. I hope you see them. Try to stick your head in the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau and get an idea what a real beer-belly bar would have been in the gold mining days LOL.   Just walking on the boardwalk along the bay has great things to see there.  

I don't know what the Celebrity dress code is for Alaska. A jacket and nicer top and pants might be what they wear for formal night in the main dining room, I'm not sure.

I really liked Vancouver.   If you get there a day ahead of time before you board the ship fun things are---going to Grouse Mt and taking the tram 1/2 way up .  It is a great adventure with huge wooden lumberjack sculptures and walkways there.  And the Suspension bridge is a thriller.  I got the certificate for crossing it. It has a lot of paths, sculptures and gorgeous scenery when you get across it.  The carriage ride for Stanley park is nice. Vancouver is a wonderful city to visit.  I want to go back.  

It sounds like you are going to have a great vacation after the cruise also.  I know you are counting down the days now.  

Edited by dustyroad