Bring your own wine cork fee

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

If you bring a bottle of wine that was not purchased onboard the ship to any public venue, you are subject to a $15 per bottle corkage fee.

I have not been on any ship (yet) that has charged me corkage in either MDR or Specialty restaurant since this was reintroduced a few years ago.

You are not charged if you consume your wine in your cabin.  The corkage charge is only if you bring it to the dining room, or bar (I assume)...and that charge is for the service rendered to serve your wine to you.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, little britain said:

I have not been on any ship (yet) that has charged me corkage in either MDR or Specialty restaurant since this was reintroduced a few years ago.

But not a gaurentee you won't be on your next cruise. Just pointing out there is a fee. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, little britain said:

Same here always bring two bottles, much better than celebrity which does charge 25

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, island lady said:

You are not charged if you consume your wine in your cabin.  The corkage charge is only if you bring it to the dining room, or bar (I assume)...and that charge is for the service rendered to serve your wine to you.  

I think it’s more of a way to recoup lost revenue from not selling the wine to you. If I bring a bottle anywhere in the ship I pour it myself, no one renders any real service with regards to this bottle. 

27 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I think it’s more of a way to recoup lost revenue from not selling the wine to you. If I bring a bottle anywhere in the ship I pour it myself, no one renders any real service with regards to this bottle. 

Yup, agree...and not unusual.  If you go to a land based restaurant, they will have a corkage fee for bringing in your own wine also.  They are missing out on the big profits of wine sales when you bring your own, so they are also trying to recoup.  Or else I would have to wash my own wine glass I guess.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Is this something new?  I could have sworn my last Royal Cruise (Oasis, a few years ago) - they had done away with the corkage fee.  Did they bring it back?

Yes, they brought it back, but seem very reluctant to impose it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

What if you bring a bottle that's already been opened...I don't need someone to open and serve me my wine 🙂

Does not matter if the bottle is opened, you are still subject to the fee, though they seem reluctant to impose it.

2 minutes ago, jaygee77 said:

Considering doing this on our next cruise. Silly questions but can you bring your own opener? And do you just ask any bar for a pair of wine glasses to take back to your room? 

Ask for glasses from any bar or your staterooom attendant. 

You can bring your own opener too.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

...You can bring your own opener too.

Be sure you do, just not in your carry on for your flight (if applicable). If not a bartender will give you a freebie corkscrew, but they are difficult to use.

I'll also repeat the experience that we've never been charged a corkage fee and if we are, I'll just go open the bottle myself and bring glasses of wine to the meal with me.

34 minutes ago, TBone2K said:

Be sure you do, just not in your carry on for your flight (if applicable). If not a bartender will give you a freebie corkscrew, but they are difficult to use.

I'll also repeat the experience that we've never been charged a corkage fee and if we are, I'll just go open the bottle myself and bring glasses of wine to the meal with me.

We have always the done the same as well...just bring your own opener, ask for two glasses and open the bottle ourselves in the room.  Either enjoy it on the balcony or take the filled glasses to dinner with us.

Or for a really large pour just use the refillable coke glass if you have the drink package!  LOL!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jaygee77 said:

Considering doing this on our next cruise. Silly questions but can you bring your own opener? And do you just ask any bar for a pair of wine glasses to take back to your room? 

Have many times asked for a pair of wine glasses, mostly because our cabin attendant/housekeeping forgot to supply glasses for our comped wine delivered to our cabin on embarkation day.  Not wanting to wait until attendant came on duty, I picked up the glasses at closest bar...but I do tip a couple of bucks to the bartender for them when given to me.  And I always travel with a couple of wine keys (waiter style wine openers).  

Edited by island lady

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Have many times asked for a pair of wine glasses, mostly because our cabin attendant/housekeeping forgot to supply glasses for our comped wine delivered to our cabin on embarkation day.  Not wanting to wait until attendant came on duty, I picked up the glasses at closest bar...but I do tip a couple of bucks to the bartender for them when given to me.  And I always travel with a couple of wine keys (waiter style wine openers).  

Sounds very familiar. 😉 Once again, DS thinking alike.