Low Salt/Low Sodium

HoneymoonCruiser5

I usually get the low salt diet. Sometimes it is good, sometimes awful.

Head Waiter brings the menu for the next evening dinner the night before during dinner. You select the menu for the next night. I had always felt that the person should be able to give advice on what dishes can actually be made well but they just leave menu and come back for the order. There are some main courses that really can't be made salt free. 

One night I ordered  fish. Menu said it was breaded. I asked if I can have it that way salt free and was told yes. When I actually got it, no breading and tasted horrible. Then head waiter said couldn't be made breaded. So why did I even ask and get wrong answer . I asked a friend in different dining room who also had salt free and she said her fish was breaded. Sometimes on ships, they bend over backwards to give me delicious tasting salt free(even special sauces on the side that added flavor).

Last cruise recently I ordered salt free but Head waiter dropped the ball and never brought the menus. I just ordered on my own with everyone else. Could have said something to our wait staff but decided not to make an issue. I asked for no sauce on certain meals, steamed Veggies instead of what comes etc. I did fine on the cruise and enjoyed my food.Still would have preferred the salt free prep.

If you need Salt free , please order it. Better to stay healthy than have medical issues. Food can be flavored with pepper or other things without salt.Over the years, I am learning what can be prepared okay without salt and sometimes I am wrong but so what, if it means your health.

Dh always maintains a low sodium diet. I have found that sometimes it is necessary to push a little. On one cruise the head waiter actually said their food was already low in sodium and started to walk away. When they pay attention, they can be quite good with it, but some folks seem to think it is a low priority. I guarantee for some like my husband it is absolute necessity.

All that said, sometimes they equate low sodium with flavorless. No spices, seasoning etc. In the buffet we have learned to ask to have things grilled up separately for dh and find fruit/veggies or such to eat with it for flavor. When they pay attention in the dining rooms dh can tell a DEFINITE difference in his breathing. Again, sometimes one has to push a bit as not all think it is a serious issue.

All that said, sometimes I finish dh's veggies. I'm so accustomed to no salt at home, I have trouble eating some of the regular dishes that are served on board. I don't want/need low salt specifically, and prefer my food flavored, but I do wish they would throw the salt shakers out in the kitchens and just serve the shakers at the tables for those who want salt. 

• Like 3

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 2:54 PM, san diego sue said:

I usually get the low salt diet. Sometimes it is good, sometimes awful.

Head Waiter brings the menu for the next evening dinner the night before during dinner. You select the menu for the next night. I had always felt that the person should be able to give advice on what dishes can actually be made well but they just leave menu and come back for the order. There are some main courses that really can't be made salt free. 

One night I ordered  fish. Menu said it was breaded. I asked if I can have it that way salt free and was told yes. When I actually got it, no breading and tasted horrible. Then head waiter said couldn't be made breaded. So why did I even ask and get wrong answer . I asked a friend in different dining room who also had salt free and she said her fish was breaded. Sometimes on ships, they bend over backwards to give me delicious tasting salt free(even special sauces on the side that added flavor).

Last cruise recently I ordered salt free but Head waiter dropped the ball and never brought the menus. I just ordered on my own with everyone else. Could have said something to our wait staff but decided not to make an issue. I asked for no sauce on certain meals, steamed Veggies instead of what comes etc. I did fine on the cruise and enjoyed my food.Still would have preferred the salt free prep.

If you need Salt free , please order it. Better to stay healthy than have medical issues. Food can be flavored with pepper or other things without salt.Over the years, I am learning what can be prepared okay without salt and sometimes I am wrong but so what, if it means your health.

I haven't dealt with salt free, but I've traveled with several people with other dietary restrictions, and I have never seen this kind of lack of service. I have always found the head waiters very helpful in giving advice about which dishes could be modified.

I believe it is always better to fix a problem on the ship than to live with the problem and complain on Cruise Critic after you leave the ship. The first time this happened I would ask to speak with the head waiter. If it continued to happen, I would speak with the maître d'. 

I wasn't complaining on CC. A question was asked and I told my experience.

We cruise at least 4 times a year. My above problem happened on the same ship both times, 6 months apart.. We travel with a large group of friends and didn't want to make a fuss in front of them.Usually we have really good experiences with our salt free.

I always tip the Head Waiter a nice amount at the end of the cruise for his extra help.Of course the waiters are also rewarded for going out of the way helping.When the food is not good prepared salt free, I know for the next time not to order again. So even if hit and miss, no need to complain.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:50 PM, NavyVeteran said:

I haven't dealt with salt free, but I've traveled with several people with other dietary restrictions, and I have never seen this kind of lack of service. I have always found the head waiters very helpful in giving advice about which dishes could be modified.

I believe it is always better to fix a problem on the ship than to live with the problem and complain on Cruise Critic after you leave the ship. The first time this happened I would ask to speak with the head waiter. If it continued to happen, I would speak with the maître d'. 

I don't consider it complaining when someone on CC gives others a heads up what  problems they have encountered while on board ship. 

10 minutes ago, HoneymoonCruiser5 said:

Thank you everyone! You've all been a big help. I think I will talk with our waiter/Head Waiter and ask what dishes can be modified and have less salt. 

DW has unusual food allergies and for dinners works with head waiter to work out the next nights meal. Have now cruised with Princess about 15 times and 14 of the 15 have been incredibly accommodating to her. A few have even gone to see her at a specialty restaurant to make sure they are taking good care of her and giving her the next nights menu. The one exception seemed to be going thru the motions and was the only one not tipped and not getting a glowing review at guest services