P&O drink package alcoholic beverage limit

Hi Guys,

WOW P&O has a limit on the alcoholic drinks you can have per 24 hour period to 12 !!!!

This is with the Premium and The Lot packages I have read >>>. https://www.pocruises.com.au/plan/know-before-you-go/life-onboard/beverage-packages

These packages are supposed to save you maney. 

How long has this been in, was no limit last year ???

Oh my freakin g#d penny pitching again..

(Sorry if this has already been talked about prior)

😓😓😠

26 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

Hi Guys,

WOW P&O has a limit on the alcoholic drinks you can have per 24 hour period to 12 !!!!

This is with the Premium and The Lot packages I have read >>>. https://www.pocruises.com.au/plan/know-before-you-go/life-onboard/beverage-packages

How long has this been in, was no limit last year ???

Oh my freakin g#d penny pitching again..

(Sorry if this has already been talked about prior)

😓😓😠

Not sure where you saw that the limit is 12 alcoholic drinks. The A$ limit per alcoholic drink is A$12 but the total number of alcoholic drinks is 15. You also can have as much soft drink, 600 ML bottles of water, juice, mocktails as you want if you buy the Premium and the Lot Package also includes coffee and tea and energy drinks. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

28 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Not sure where you saw that the limit is 12 alcoholic drinks. The A$ limit per alcoholic drink is A$12 but the total number of alcoholic drinks is 15. You also can have as much soft drink, 600 ML bottles of water, juice, mocktails as you want if you buy the Premium and the Lot Package also includes coffee and tea and energy drinks. 

Leigh

Sorry I stand corrected.

BUT a limit are they serious. 

P&O isn't the only cruise line to have a limit of drinks per day for their alcoholic drink packages. Princess does as does Carnival (USA).  It does state that it is due to their responsible service of alcohol (RSA) policy which makes sense. It is up to you to decide whether it is worth buying their alcohol package or not and how much you drink. If you drink 15 beers at $8 each,  is is cheaper to have the package or 15 spirits at $10-12 each, the package will save you money particularly if you buy it before you sail. Maybe the only time it wouldn't is if you drink VBs! 

Enjoy your cruise!

Leigh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

Those packages have never saved anyone money. No normal human being can handle that much drink. It is cheaper by buying individually.

2 standard drinks an hour is responsible and well with in RSA. If you have your first drink at 10am and your last drink at 10pm (you are on holidays mind you) that counts 24. There is many configurations you can drink responsibly.

If you are not a drinker of course this is a lot but, if you don't mind a beer the above is not excessive in any way over a 12 hour period.

RSA is in force in any bar on any cruise ship  with all cruise line company's so why do they need the limit ??

22 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

2 standard drinks an hour is responsible and well with in RSA. If you have your first drink at 10am and your last drink at 10pm (you are on holidays mind you) that counts 24. There is many configurations you can drink responsibly.

If you are not a drinker of course this is a lot but, if you don't mind a beer the above is not excessive in any way over a 12 hour period.

RSA is in force in any bar on any cruise ship  with all cruise line company's so why do they need the limit ??

RSA is in force on board but only applies to passengers who are obviously intoxicated.

As for '2 standard drinks an hour is responsible and well with in RSA.',  firstly, The RSA doesn't actually impose limits on the number of drinks. Secondly, if they did, most beverages on board the ships are more than one standard drink (i.e a beer is often 1.5, wine pours are often 1.5 or 2, cocktails are often 2 or 3), which would mean only one drink per hour and thus 12 would be enough.

55 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

RSA is in force on board but only applies to passengers who are obviously intoxicated.

As for '2 standard drinks an hour is responsible and well with in RSA.',  firstly, The RSA doesn't actually impose limits on the number of drinks. Secondly, if they did, most beverages on board the ships are more than one standard drink (i.e a beer is often 1.5, wine pours are often 1.5 or 2, cocktails are often 2 or 3), which would mean only one drink per hour and thus 12 would be enough.

Standard beer is normally 1.2 standard, mid strength (what I drink is 1 standard drink)

I understand the RSA but my point is not with RSA.

The point is a limit put on alcoholic drinks when you purchase the bev package, which I think is crap, they offer the unlimited period.I can say with all confidence P&O will pull the RSA card but, most will look straight through it as PENNY Pitching AGAIN.

Edited by SuitesRbest

3 minutes ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

I think that it's a bit rude that the company who charges the most in the world for a drink package - and are also known to make weak drinks  - has a daily limit.  

Yes exactly what I am getting at.

Have a RCL cruise coming up in November, we paid $62 a day for their package and will have what we want when we want and as many as we like. (Within reason of cause)

We are not alco's but it is the point of it.

34 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

Standard beer is normally 1.2 standard, mid strength (what I drink is 1 standard drink)

I understand the RSA but my point is not with RSA.

The point is a limit put on alcoholic drinks when you purchase the bev package, which I think is crap, they offer the unlimited period.I can say with all confidence P&O will pull the RSA card but, most will look straight through it as PENNY Pitching AGAIN.

Yes, they want people to buy the drinks packages but they do not want to lose any money if a passenger is getting better value out of the package than average. It is all about how they can make money.

27 minutes ago, SuitesRbest said:

Yes exactly what I am getting at.

Have a RCL cruise coming up in November, we paid $62 a day for their package and will have what we want when we want and as many as we like. (Within reason of cause)

We are not alco's but it is the point of it.

2 points, that $62 is likely to be a day on Royal is USD and doesn't include the 18% gratuity.

Current onboard pricing:

PACKAGE 2019 SAILINGS
Deluxe $63 - $70
Refreshment $29
Classic Soda $12.99

*Pricing above reflects the daily cost, per person and does not include 18% gratuity.

8 hours ago, SuitesRbest said:

No they're not.

You won't find any of the lines advertise or promote them in that way, as that is not their purpose. They're sold as a convenience for the market which desires that, and priced in a way that they remain at least as profitable as before, likely more.

3 hours ago, SuitesRbest said:

24 alcoholic drinks a day is responsible? <rofl>

Moreover you take the mildest form - beer - but there is no requirement that it is only beer, and in fact you even change to a cocktail later.

The passenger may be on holiday, but that consumption is putting a liver under intense pressure...

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Could you ever do that?

Yes we have and was actually was pushed to us by Bar manager due to having a Bev package.

(QUOTE,try anything you want we were told, if you do not like it just grab another, UNQUOTE)

29 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

24 alcoholic drinks a day is responsible? <rofl>

Moreover you take the mildest form - beer - but there is no requirement that it is only beer, and in fact you even change to a cocktail later.

The passenger may be on holiday, but that consumption is putting a liver under intense pressure...

Sure see your point,

If this is the case, then a limit on people grabbing a plate full of cakes/biscuit's time after time from the buffet and I have seen this happen regularly on a daily bases (and I am sure you have seen this or not?)on cruise holidays and sitting on the pool deck scoffing them down MAY cause diabetes, this put's massive pressure on the pancreas ?? 

No difference!!!

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

2 points, that $62 is likely to be a day on Royal is USD and doesn't include the 18% gratuity.

Current onboard pricing:

PACKAGE 2019 SAILINGS
Deluxe $63 - $70
Refreshment $29
Classic Soda $12.99

*Pricing above reflects the daily cost, per person and does not include 18% gratuity.

I have paid $868 AUD  for the 14 day cruise. ($62+ change a day)

Service charge $0.00

TOTAL 869.40 AUD
TOTAL PAID 869.40 AUD

Edited by SuitesRbest

5 hours ago, SuitesRbest said:

RSA is totally irrelevant. No normal human being who wants to live a long and healthy life could possibly drink that much alcohol, sugar, caffeine and not have serious health problems or be killing themselves.

Now I love to drink. I love beer and wine and spirits. When I cruise I load up on board credit to my account which is less than what the drinks package would cost and I always come out on top by buying individually.  I buy bottles of wine and the bar tenders kindly keep them behind the bar for me. I buy beer by the glass/bottle and same with spirits. I often have a few bottles of wine around the ship at various bars. It works well for me.

What people fail to take into account is that on cruises where they are on shore tours, exploring, doing other things is time they are not drinking. The drinks package has never been a financial viable option that benefits the passenger when you add it all up.

Besides some men might like to drink alcohol and have the toilet as their best friend all night long for their relief, I would not like the lack of sleep that comes with it. Couple that up with the health implications then it is a package not worth having.

Now I know there are cheapskates out there who can apparently afford cruises and one half of the travelling party will get the package and the other will not. They will go to different bars and get drinks for each other on the one package. The cruise line is aware of these cheapskates and it is probably why they have adjusted their price accordingly which reinforces the fact that it is not a financially viable option. Anyone with very basic maths skills could calculate that very quickly.

Yes we have and was actually was pushed to us by Bar manager due to having a Bev package.

(QUOTE,try anything you want we were told, if you do not like it just grab another, UNQUOTE)

Well, I suppose theoretically you can still do that, it just comes off your limit.

2 hours ago, SuitesRbest said:

Service charge $0.00

TOTAL 869.40 AUD
TOTAL PAID 869.40 AUD

Well you got a bargain then, that is like 40% off the normal price.

Service charge $0.00

TOTAL 869.40 AUD
TOTAL PAID 869.40 AUD

My cruise is showing $89.05 (Oz) per day. That said, I haven’t been able to drink for some months. No package for me, but I would not get near break even anyway.

you got a really good price.