Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cb2367

Repeat Destinations

Recommended Posts

Any opinions on sailings back to destinations previously visited?

 

I have another sailing that I need to book for next year. I've been to Bahamas a few times, I went to cozumel a few years ago, and most recently went to the East Caribbean.

 

I was thinking that I would want to travel on one of the newer ships like Bliss or Encore. Unfortunately, I would not be able to do a west coast trip, a repositioning trip, a canal cruise, or anything over 7 days. 

 

I'm thinking that limits me to places I've been before, so I thought I would see what opinions there are on revisiting the same destinations again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depending on the port I think you can usually visit the same port 2 or 3 times and do something completely different so it doesn't feel like repeating. Some places are worth repeating. The Bahamas maybe not so much.  Relaxing on a beach for the 40th time is better than sitting at home!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is a destination you want to explore further, go for it! You spend a short amount of time in a Port compared to the length of the cruise.

There’s also a cruise to Bermuda you can take. I did it last year and enjoyed the history and sights very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are many ports where once is enough others I would do over again and again.  St Lucia was my absolute favorite port and I will do it again in a minute. Bahamas not so much. In January we are repeating ports because of wanting to be on the Bliss.  My plan is to do very different excursions from our last visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

been on many cruises out of ny & fl with destinations east, west, & southern carribbean places. Been to islands, beaches, & the ST' 's.  Wife knows it's going to be difficult for me in Sept. Doing a Canadian/New England cruise. Giving up the pool, sand & dolphin swims for a lobster roll and whale watching..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after 40 some cruises we do mostly repeats. As some have said it depends on the island. Most do offer a variety of tours so you can see something different a few times or you can spend one day just staying on the ship. The ports we are totally tired of in the Caribbean are Nassau, and St Thomas. The rest are worth a second or even third visit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been doing an annual anniversary/spring break (because DH teaches the spring breakers) cruise to FL/Bahamas for some six years now, and will probably do it again next March. Since we live in NYC it is a no-brainer, and this year we tried the Escape, a new ship. Next year the Bliss will be sailing this itinerary, so that will be a new experience. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with repeating something or going somewhere that you have already been, if you enjoy the experience.

We also own a timeshare in Aruba and have spent many happy weeks there, in addition to exchanging to other islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We like to do repeat cruises.  In fact, I have a difficult time getting my DH out of the Caribbean.  We like to visit the islands the first time and then enjoy the ship the next time.  It's nice to hang out at the pool or other activities when everyone else is off the ship.  We find it a lot less crowded.  We will still get off the ship for a short time and visit the shopping area right in the port.  We usually are back on the ship within an hour or so.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're interested in the ship, then a repeat destination would work well for you -- you'll get the ship to yourselves if you want to stay onboard while the ship is in port.

 

For certain ports, once was enough for us. Others, like Bermuda, we've gone to again and again and never get tired of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We avoid doing any port more than once as there’s too much to be seen out there. Eventually repeat ports will happen but different excursions can be taken. We would never purposely do the same ports repeatedly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People ask us why we repeat ports....everytime we go to the same port we do something different...an example.  I've been to Bardabos numerous times.  The last time we took the shuttle into town , walked over to the area in which all of the buses wait...find the bus that will take us by the Pottery factory....sat on the bus in 100 degree weather for about an hr ( they leave when they are almost filled 😲) the driver dropped us off at the bottom of the hill and we walked up the hill to the factory...spend about an hr or more looking at their ( I call seconds...the owners called that area...items waiting to be adopted) area...bought a vase, service for 8, a couple of serving bowls etc.  The owner packed up everything nicely in 4 good sized boxes.  He then called a neighbor who drove us back to the port...we gave that man $20 he was happy.  Got back onboard and learned how to walk around our purchases😃 

Bottom line our whole experience cost us less than one place setting would have cost from the shop at the port.  It was an experience we developed....the time before that we went to where the glass bottom boats were parked and there were 4 of us...asked if the boat was waiting for anyone...found out they had and hr and a half until the next group was to arrive....offered the crew $100 to take the 4 of us out for the "waiting time"  they jumped at the idea...we had an adventure that would have cost us at least $100 each not $25....I could go on and on wheather we are at ports in the Caribbean or Med.  As a matter of fact...the last time we did Great Britian we had downloaded where the thrift shops were at every port and took local buses or walked to all of them....there were 6 of us and we had a blast.....Cruising is what you make of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The upside to repeat destinations is that it takes the worry (for some of us like me) out of wondering

what the port will be like such as walk to town from the pier, where are the restrooms, is the location

safe,etc. All that you know beforehand. The downside is unless you can find something different than

the last time to do it can be repetitive. However I must add that there are some things I did  like repeating

like the pool cabanas on Harvest Caye and going to the beach on Grand Cayman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As has been mentioned there are so many different excursions that repeat ports needn't actually technically 'repeat' for a very long time. That said, we've been around the loops a few times and do now arrive in ports were we are kinda 'meh' about it... So a slightly different take on it is to say stay onboard! The ship is probably at its MOST delightful when the vast majority of passengers are on land wrestling with ATV's, waterslides, monkeys and the like... Quiet, your chosen place by the pool or sundeck or bar etc. It kinda makes the whole place feel a little like the Haven... kinda. The Haven itself feels like a private yacht! Oh and the spa is cheaper.

 

... and then one can snooze or gaze with a wry smile at the sweating masses returning to the ship as you sip a fine cocktail and flip another page on that good book...

 

Boring perhaps, but if it's relaxation you seek, there's a lot to be said for watching other people running about...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You aren't going to be able to go on too many cruises if you have a problem repeating destinations.    It probably would be an issue if you've been on only one cruise before and your second cruise had the exact itinerary as your first cruise.   If that's the case then ok, I might pick another ship to see a few new islands.

 

But in general cruisers usually adapt really well and welcome returning to favorite islands.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 8:55 PM, cb2367 said:

Any opinions on sailings back to destinations previously visited?

 

I have another sailing that I need to book for next year. I've been to Bahamas a few times, I went to cozumel a few years ago, and most recently went to the East Caribbean.

 

I was thinking that I would want to travel on one of the newer ships like Bliss or Encore. Unfortunately, I would not be able to do a west coast trip, a repositioning trip, a canal cruise, or anything over 7 days. 

 

I'm thinking that limits me to places I've been before, so I thought I would see what opinions there are on revisiting the same destinations again. 

 

I do it all the time. I think I have been on NCL's western Caribbean cruise six times. We use it to go to the beach and snorkel, so it is not like in Europe where I am looking for historical things. We have also been to numerous islands in the VI many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've done numerous cruises over and over because we Love the specialty dining on NCL and we love being able to stay on the ship while almost everyone else is off  ship. This is more so for the Caribbean Islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 6:39 AM, yearsofcruising said:

been on many cruises out of ny & fl with destinations east, west, & southern carribbean places. Been to islands, beaches, & the ST' 's.  Wife knows it's going to be difficult for me in Sept. Doing a Canadian/New England cruise. Giving up the pool, sand & dolphin swims for a lobster roll and whale watching..

 

I hear you!  We're also sailing this September, from Quebec City to NYC, down the Canada-New England coast.  I definitely prefer warmer-weather cruises, but Jim loves it colder.  Life is about compromise.

 

Having said this, we've sailed Canada-New England a few times, mostly repeating ports.  The joy of going back to the same place is that you make it 'your own.'  We know where to get the best lobster rolls in these ports, where to shop, where to hike, etc.  Same for our Caribbean cruises:  which are the best beaches, which to avoid, how to get around more cheaply than with ship excursions, etc.

 

We do love the NYC-Bahama cruises now.  When we first started cruising, it was all about the itinerary.  Now it's as much about just being on the ship.  As repeat cruisers on the Gem, we've gotten to know many crew members, and some of them have become life-long friends.  It adds a depth to cruising that we hadn't anticipated.  Also, there are great deals on Bahama cruises, if you look.  It's our experience that Bahama cruises--short and with only 3 port days, including NCL's private island--are harder for NCL to fully book, so they lower the prices.

 

Patricia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cb2367 I’d say, don’t feel like you even have to get off at the ports. I did Bliss Caribbean and there’s plenty to do on the ship to keep you busy. It’s a great time to get some sun, go to ship events, eat in a less-crowded environment and meet new people. I have been on two Caribbean cruises and didn’t get off once. 

 

people think I am a bit of a port-snob because i don’t get off, but my retort to that is: why should I if I can’t find anything I like to do? Also, I travel solo, which makes it even less desireable because lots of port activities are something that’s better to experience with other people. 

 

there’s a lot of pressure to feel like you’re “getting the most out of your trip” and getting your moneysworth by getting off. I don’t agree.

 

i do get off on European cruises because there’s actually a lot more to do, and I plan to do the same for my first Mexican Bliss cruise in a couple weeks. But the way I view the Caribbean cruises is...I’m basically going on an all-inclusive resort holiday, but on a ship. I would make an exception for something like Havana or San Juan or something, but for the others? Bah, why bother if there’s nothing specific You want to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 8:55 PM, cb2367 said:

Any opinions on sailings back to destinations previously visited?

 

I have another sailing that I need to book for next year. I've been to Bahamas a few times, I went to cozumel a few years ago, and most recently went to the East Caribbean.

 

I was thinking that I would want to travel on one of the newer ships like Bliss or Encore. Unfortunately, I would not be able to do a west coast trip, a repositioning trip, a canal cruise, or anything over 7 days. 

 

I'm thinking that limits me to places I've been before, so I thought I would see what opinions there are on revisiting the same destinations again. 

Funny you should ask this question. I already did the Bahamas 7 day cruise out of NY on the Breakaway and this December I am doing it again but for two main reasons. 1) New ship the Bliss I want to see this ship it sounds really nice. 2) Taking my sister and cousin on their first cruise so I am willing to do a repeat visit to the same ports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some cruise for the ship experience , some cruise to experience destinations , for some choosing a cruise is a combination of both .

I am more of the ship experience type .🛳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2019 at 6:55 PM, cb2367 said:

Any opinions on sailings back to destinations previously visited?

 

I have another sailing that I need to book for next year. I've been to Bahamas a few times, I went to cozumel a few years ago, and most recently went to the East Caribbean.

 

I was thinking that I would want to travel on one of the newer ships like Bliss or Encore. Unfortunately, I would not be able to do a west coast trip, a repositioning trip, a canal cruise, or anything over 7 days. 

 

I'm thinking that limits me to places I've been before, so I thought I would see what opinions there are on revisiting the same destinations again. 

I'm kinda repeating what others have said...but MOST ports hold up well to at least one repeat visit.  We've done repeats and just engaged in completely different activities.  Maybe consider a private excursion that might have some different offerings from the ship (if ship excursions are what you've done before).  There are certainly a few places that I don't have a burning need to go to again...but there is enough variety out there that you should be okay.  (Frankly, sometimes it's fun to visit a familiar spot again...like visiting an old friend.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2019 at 8:47 AM, myjillian said:

People ask us why we repeat ports....everytime we go to the same port we do something different...an example.  I've been to Bardabos numerous times.  The last time we took the shuttle into town , walked over to the area in which all of the buses wait...find the bus that will take us by the Pottery factory....sat on the bus in 100 degree weather for about an hr ( they leave when they are almost filled 😲) the driver dropped us off at the bottom of the hill and we walked up the hill to the factory...spend about an hr or more looking at their ( I call seconds...the owners called that area...items waiting to be adopted) area...bought a vase, service for 8, a couple of serving bowls etc.  The owner packed up everything nicely in 4 good sized boxes.  He then called a neighbor who drove us back to the port...we gave that man $20 he was happy.  Got back onboard and learned how to walk around our purchases😃 

Bottom line our whole experience cost us less than one place setting would have cost from the shop at the port.  It was an experience we developed....the time before that we went to where the glass bottom boats were parked and there were 4 of us...asked if the boat was waiting for anyone...found out they had and hr and a half until the next group was to arrive....offered the crew $100 to take the 4 of us out for the "waiting time"  they jumped at the idea...we had an adventure that would have cost us at least $100 each not $25....I could go on and on wheather we are at ports in the Caribbean or Med.  As a matter of fact...the last time we did Great Britian we had downloaded where the thrift shops were at every port and took local buses or walked to all of them....there were 6 of us and we had a blast.....Cruising is what you make of it.

Barbados is one port we could do a dozen times and never get tired of her is so much to do. Another one, for us, is Roatan. I think we love it because we have watched how it has developed over the years. I remember when NCL was the only ship that did Roatan and there wasn't much to do except see the wonderful beach and snorkel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have done repeat ports, because the second cruise included a different itinerary.  Ports such as Athens, Greece, Mykonos, Dublin, Ireland, Glasgow, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark, we have been able to visit places that we missed on the earlier cruise.

 

However, after visiting Ephesus, Turkey twice, if we have to visit it again, we will either stay on the ship or find another place to visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, newmexicoNita said:

Barbados is one port we could do a dozen times and never get tired of her is so much to do. Another one, for us, is Roatan. I think we love it because we have watched how it has developed over the years. I remember when NCL was the only ship that did Roatan and there wasn't much to do except see the wonderful beach and snorkel. 

Oh Roatan !! We have a family that we have visited over the years.  The first time we went a little boy named Andrew offered to "be our guide and  our interpreter .  He was 10 at the time.  We hated when they built the new port and not all ships went into the old city port.  We used to bring things to the orphanage near the old port.  Everytime we went back we would take a cab to Andrews house and take him and a friend diving to lunch etc.  Met his grandmother who he and about 6 others lived with.  We saw his village get tarmack roads instead of just mud...we always took him shopping to their little store to fill up on rice and beans and eggs etc...anything they needed at the time.  We would take pictures of everyone and when digital cameras came in we bought a little printer with us to develop the pictures and give them away.  His grandmother died of Diabetes about 5 yrs ago.  I didn't realize until then that I was 3 yrs older than her.  The poor woman.  To make a long story short the last time we saw Andrew he was covered in mud because his friends house had just slid down the mt into the village and people were helping to did it out. He felt badly that he couldn't join us.  He is 23 now...a beautiful man and he works for the church.  That's one reason why we visit ports more than one😍

 

1 minute ago, newmexicoNita said:

Barbados is one port we could do a dozen times and never get tired of her is so much to do. Another one, for us, is Roatan. I think we love it because we have watched how it has developed over the years. I remember when NCL was the only ship that did Roatan and there wasn't much to do except see the wonderful beach and snorkel. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

We have done repeat ports, because the second cruise included a different itinerary.  Ports such as Athens, Greece, Mykonos, Dublin, Ireland, Glasgow, Scotland and Copenhagen, Denmark, we have been able to visit places that we missed on the earlier cruise.

 

However, after visiting Ephesus, Turkey twice, if we have to visit it again, we will either stay on the ship or find another place to visit.

You know, the first time we visited Ephesus we thought we were being conned.  The little bus dropped us off at a broken down shack that sold souveniers and we had to walk thru a field.  Then, at the top of the hill, we saw Ephesus...it was mind blowing ...better than anything I had already seen throughout  Greece.  The last time the diggings were so spread out it was beautiful.  Over 25 years we have been 3 times and each time more and more was uncovered...always something added.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...