Norwegian Breakaway Cabin Selection

lgerker1

My husband and I are planning our second cruise with NCL (first on the Escape) on the Breakaway. We're looking to book a balcony room and will be going through costco because as of right now my research has it looking like that will be the best deal for the cruise, hotel and flight.

I have searched for the last couple of days this website and message boards to see if I could find anywhere that specifically gives advice on picking a specific room on the Breakaway. Is there a breakdown of reviews of different cabins or do cruisers typically just go with a specific type of room and randomly choose that room?

Googling or looking on youtube can be helpful.  I usually choose something and paste the number of the cabin and the name of the ship in my browser bar.  So far, no news is good news.  You also want to check to see what is directly above or below your cabin by looking at deck plans.

The biggest issue on the Breakaway is that the balconies themselves are tiny. If you are planning on spending any time on the balcony itself the I would very much recommend looking at rooms with larger balconies.

Basically, that means aft, angled balconies of the large balcony rooms.

I can’t emphasise enough how tiny the standard balconies are.

Thank you for the tip. when you refer to them being significantly small - it appears that two chairs and a small table can fit on them (which is how it was on the Escape) - is it smaller than that or unable to fit the items I'm seeing listed?

Thank you for the tip. when you refer to them being significantly small - it appears that two chairs and a small table can fit on them (which is how it was on the Escape) - is it smaller than that or unable to fit the items I'm seeing listed?

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

The biggest issue on the Breakaway is that the balconies themselves are tiny. If you are planning on spending any time on the balcony itself the I would very much recommend looking at rooms with larger balconies.

Basically, that means aft, angled balconies of the large balcony rooms.

I can’t emphasise enough how tiny the standard balconies are.

27 minutes ago, lgerker1 said:

Standard side balconies are deeper on Escape than on Breakaway/Getaway....

dsc_0012.jpg

^^ Breakaway

P1100095.JPG

^^ Escape

They are significantly smaller than the Escape.

You are correct in that they can fit two chairs and a table. The problem occurs when you try to add people in as well. As far as I am aware, you can’t sit down facing straight out to sea.

I will add that I have never stayed in one on these balcony rooms. I luckily booked an ocean view when I first went on the Getaway, so didn’t waste my money on the balcony. I heard everyone moan about the size of the balconies and then saw one on a cabin crawl. They are tiny.

Since then I have always booked a large balcony room on the Breakaway or Getaway, which are the ships with this particular problem. They increased the balcony size from the Escape onwards.

21 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

They are significantly smaller than the Escape.

You are correct in that they can fit two chairs and a table. The problem occurs when you try to add people in as well. As far as I am aware, you can’t sit down facing straight out to sea.

I will add that I have never stayed in one on these balcony rooms. I luckily booked an ocean view when I first went on the Getaway, so didn’t waste my money on the balcony. I heard everyone moan about the size of the balconies and then saw one on a cabin crawl. They are tiny.

Since then I have always booked a large balcony room on the Breakaway or Getaway, which are the ships with this particular problem. They increased the balcony size from the Escape onwards.

21 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Standard side balconies are deeper on Escape than on Breakaway/Getaway....

dsc_0012.jpg

^^ Breakaway

P1100095.JPG

^^ Escape

Since you both have been so helpful - do you know if there is a list somewhere the explains for NCL what the cabin types mean? ex. BD, BA, B6, etc.?

Have sailed on Escape and Breakaway.  Everything above is correct.  While we had a balcony on Deck 9, we didn't really use it.  The few times we went out there we stood because sitting in the chairs was next to impossible.  The balcony rooms themselves are a pretty good size for a cruise cabin, so at least there's that.