Free airfare????

redhatters

There is a substantial increase in the price of cruise on Gem Feb 14  2020  out of NYC since this past Jan/Feb season 2919.  I believe that cruises which include free or reduced airfare are priced higher to cover this perk.  THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH!

7 minutes ago, redhatters said:

There is a substantial increase in the price of cruise on Gem Feb 14  2020  out of NYC since this past Jan/Feb season 2919.  I believe that cruises which include free or reduced airfare are priced higher to cover this perk.  THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH!

Bingo!

Nothing is ever free, the cost IS built in somewhere.

2 hours ago, redhatters said:

This is what I gather is the OP's gripe.

The OP may live a drivable distance to a port paying the same $X inflated rate being charged to the passenger getting free airfare to come in from across the country.

A later poster (#5) hit the nail on the head.  Some "free perks" benefit some and some "free perks" benefit others.   It's possible for some that none of those "free perks" benefit them.  That's when knowing how to shed the "free perks" and get the uninflated fare without the gimmicks (without losing any flexibility of choice or refundability) is worthwhile.

Yes, any of the touted "free perks" are anything but; the cost is buried in the fare somewhere.

• Like 1