Celebrity Edge: Advertisement getting Desperate?

Stateroom_Sailor

I can count on a full color brochure in my mailbox at home 3 times a week from Oceania.

Such has been the case for 3-4 years!

I have never cruised on that line, but they sure want me to apparently.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

???  Every cruise line promotes heavily on youtube... It is a major source of marketing:

Carnival Vista

https://www.youtube.com/user/Carnival/search?query=vista

1. I agree that every cruise line promotes heavily on YouTube.  

2.  I am only comparing the mass market.

3.  Your example of Carnival Vista only proves my point.  All of their promo material lead up to the inaugural on May 1st, 2016.

Carnival then did a series of skits called "The Vista Effect", all airing on October 1st, 2016, with Zach King.  Other than that, there was no ongoing direct promotion.

11 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

However, X is the only line fixated on a past build.  Sure, it has only been 5 months, but I couldn't find a single example of promotional video being developed, after the inaugural sailing, from any of other cruise lines.  … This leads me to believe, that the other cruise lines have more effectively promoted their ship beforehand, or that they're priced accordingly, or more popular.  If their new ships are sailing full, there's no need to keep pressing it.  You still have all your old promo material online, and passengers making their own.

Perhaps it's not the marketing of the new ship, but the ship?  Perhaps people have seen the advertisements and the promotions and decided that the Edge is not for them.  Perhaps the features that Celebrity selected for the ship just do not resonate with the market.  It seems to me that many of the other cruise lines are marketing a fun experience on their new ships and the Edge just does not look like fun.

I would agree with most that the Edge an Apex prices are a bit high now, but with the perks we got we found the Apex Oceanview to be acceptable in price. We will watch for sales though. 

What I do want to say is that they may be having a hard time convincing younger cruisers to try Celebrity. We are early and mid 40s and the Edge got us to try Celebrity. In the past we looked at lines like Celebrity and Holland and figured there weren’t enough things to keep us busy. looking at the daily sheets for these lines none of the activities interested us. Let’s face it the opposite reaction to the kids sale free thread may be happening, some younger cruisers that may have kids may not want to sail with older cruisers, this isn’t the case with us, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Will be interesting to see where Celebrity goes from here, they are definitely shaking no things up. 

Even now now my wife and I debate if we would like the non E class ships. We have until 2022 to decide since our next two trips are booked, Adventure of the Seas and Apex. 

10 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

I can count on a full color brochure in my mailbox at home 3 times a week from Oceania.

Such has been the case for 3-4 years!

I have never cruised on that line, but they sure want me to apparently.

David

Likewise, along with quite a few other lines... every day of the week I Am getting something in my mailbox for cruising... even for lines I would, currently, not consider sailing.

bon voyage

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Perhaps it's not the marketing of the new ship, but the ship?  Perhaps people have seen the advertisements and the promotions and decided that the Edge is not for them.  Perhaps the features that Celebrity selected for the ship just do not resonate with the market.  It seems to me that many of the other cruise lines are marketing a fun experience on their new ships and the Edge just does not look like fun.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  We carefully followed the build and feel that we don't care for the IVs. They don't function in the ways that we enjoy. We don't care for a  Blu without a view. We like to have forward views without booking suites. We also don't care for the current premium pricing of the Edge ships. When we combine the premium pricing of Edge with the other factors it's not it for us. 

For me, pricing is the biggest deterrent. We're going on the Equinox in December for about 50% of what they want for the same cruise, one day later, on the Edge. On the Edge, I would want a Sunset Veranda, because the IV just doesn't do it for me. The price for either is the same for that cruise.  Every line charges a premium for a new ship, but it's usually a few hunderd dollars, which I have no problem with. A few thousand dollars is not something I would think of trying.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

I believe I was a bit unclear.  I was comparing video content on youtube, comparing every mass market cruise line.  These are not targeted ads per say, nor do I think it is unethical to produce them.  However, X is the only line fixated on a past build.  Sure, it has only been 5 months, but I couldn't find a single example of promotional video being developed, after the inaugural sailing, from any of other cruise lines.  Certainly not a video every week, 5 months out...

I am constantly bombarded with ads for new RCCL, NCL, and Carnival cruise ships (as well as Celebrity).  Not to mention ads for cruise lines in general and not just new ships (Silversea, Crystal, Regent, Viking, etc.).  Personally I have not noticed more for Edge than other newer ships.

It does make sense however that Celebrity would continue to heavily advertise the Edge, given their claim that with the Edge they are trying to target a younger clientele and those who typically have not cruised much in the past (I can't remember the exact wording I've seen).  If they are trying to target those that don't normally cruise, one would think they would need to reach out to that group with an abundance of advertising.  How else to reach them?  Hardly desperate in my mind, but perhaps that's just me.

Edited by cricketgirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Every line charges a premium for a new ship, but it's usually a few hundred dollars, which I have no problem with. A few thousand dollars is not something I would think of trying.

We booked the Mediterranean on the MSC Meraviglia in an Aurea Duplex Suite (loft style, with 2 bathrooms, separate living room and dining area,  Nespresso system, and forward facing balcony with jacuzzi tub), priority embarkation, unlimited drink package, access to a private solarium for suite guests, admission to the spa thermal area, 2 free massages, and access to a private section in the MDR with open seating for less than a standard oceanview stateroom (not even a balcony) on the Edge. It was an easy decision.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

X started out with  heavy marketing of  the EDEN experience...the sinful concept, the EDENISTS, and the new  theater entertainment partnerships..plus  advances like the app, hi tech windows etc,,.

Seems much of the programming fell flat with early cruisers.  Many  people liked the ship other than the IVs , too many pricey shops and lack of smaller lounge areas  .X seems to be  re focusing the on board programs, music , entertainment  etc and recent reviews seem to be fairly positive. Food and dining has consistently rated high.

I think new ads are not a sign of desperation, just re defining the  EDGE experience and trying to attract  more interest.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We have yet another ad this morning, promoting Edge.  That's 4 within the past month.  I looked up HAL, Princess, MSC, NCL, Carnival, and even RCCL, and this is simply not the case with any of the competition.  They may promote new ships and features in the pipeline, or new builds as they're delivered from the shipyard, but no fixation beyond that.

I have never seen that before  - interesting.

Meh

That was my thought as well this week...Xciting deals are not very exciting to me.  And the sheer volume of offers for Europe and Alaska is amazing!  Lots of offers, prices are still very high.

Trish

If Celebrity was truly showing desperation as evidenced by increased advertising of Edge they would start by dropping prices significantly to get Edge in line with the competition.  If they reduced their advertising budget for Edge and instead used the savings to reduce Edge pricing then maybe that would be an effective start.

I thought it was fairly nauseating but that's just me!  We continue Sailing X ,  despite many  of her "ideas" and "innovations."  Guess they are appealing to the women's market in that one.. but I could not watch it to the end...

Glad we do not get these videos. The  unsolicited  mail brochures from Oceania, Renaissance, American Cuise Lines,  Viking, and  Cunard keep me busy...love the photos...

Oddly, I have tried to get Royal C to mail me a brochure  so I could look into a family cruise but they refuse!  Said  it is only available online or from a travel agent...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

I thought it was fairly nauseating but that's just me!  We continue Sailing X ,  despite many  of her "ideas" and "innovations."  Guess they are appealing to the women's market in that one.. but I could not watch it to the end...

Glad we do not get these videos. The  unsolicited  mail brochures from Oceania, Renaissance, American Cuise Lines,  Viking, and  Cunard keep me busy...love the photos...

Oddly, I have tried to get Royal C to mail me a brochure  so I could look into a family cruise but they refuse!  Said  it is only available online or from a travel agent...

And here's your favorite performance, still being misrepresented with fake testimonials (recorded before the inaugural), regarding people coming back night after night.  BTW we're up to 7 videos now.

Eden  show is not  for us  so that video  might appeal to  another bunch of folks,

Eden by day is  very nice..esp the cafe and bar areas.....daytime EDEN was one of our fav places on the ship..

Just needs a few more lunch tables,   taller seating with arms and sun shades for daytime...very bright  back there....

I haven't been on the Edge, so I can't give a review, but these are my observations, mostly from CC. Most of the ship seems favorable. The BIG exception seems to be the IV balconies. If there is some way construction wise, to give options of a real balcony other than the SV's, along with the IV's, and, of course, bring the prices down to earth, they may have a legitimate hit. It's too late to make major changes o the Apex, but maybe for the next 3.By a real balcony, I don't mean the balcony holes fore and aft of the ship.

Those ads cost money. Ads are directed at potential cruisers to persuade them to book. Prices are up.  They have not been well received by many people. Drop the prices and people will book. Then there would not be the need to run all those ads. Tv ads are expensive.  Emails are free. Don’t let emails annoy you. Just delete. As long as prices are high, more people will find other vacation options. In time, prices will reach a level that fills the ship. 

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Those ads cost money. Ads are directed at potential cruisers to persuade them to book. Prices are up.  They have not been well received by many people. Drop the prices and people will book. Then there would not be the need to run all those ads. Tv ads are expensive.  Emails are free. Don’t let emails annoy you. Just delete. As long as prices are high, more people will find other vacation options. In time, prices will reach a level that fills the ship. 

And spiking the prices on your entire fleet is not going to fix the situation either.  People are just going to book elsewhere, and be too busy with their alternate travel plans, when X launches their blowout sales, a year from now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1